Adding A Cab To A LIMA Class 31

Can you buy cabs for these locos? if not how do you go about building a convincing looking one?

Doesn't this model have a central mounted motor? if so i should imagine there would be plenty of room.

Cheers.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lima-L205094-Class-31-r-n-31601-Bletchley-Park-Station-X-Fragonset-black-mint/264504891239?hash=item3d95b85767%3Ag%3AGsEAAOSwCSpdq3U8&LH_BIN=1

If you are referring to cab interiors, then certain types are available separately, but I'm not sure about the class 30/31 specifically. Class 73 cabs are certainly available and fairly compact so could be made to fit.

The Lima 30/31 has a ringfield motor bogie at one end only. Likewise the Hornby RailRoad model based on the Lima one (with 5-pole motor instead).

Edited by SRman

7 hours ago, Graham Radish said:

Can you buy cabs for these locos? if not how do you go about building a convincing looking one?

Doesn't this model have a central mounted motor? if so i should imagine there would be plenty of room.

Cheers.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lima-L205094-Class-31-r-n-31601-Bletchley-Park-Station-X-Fragonset-black-mint/264504891239?hash=item3d95b85767%3Ag%3AGsEAAOSwCSpdq3U8&LH_BIN=1

The first ever copy of Model Rail had an article on it I recall. In both of mine (Lima shell, Hornby central Motors) I made the cab floor from cardboard, mounted it on top of the plastic frame then built up a drivers desk and seats from bits of card and fitted a crew. I uses the bulkhead from the Hornby model for the back of the cab.

• RMweb Premium

The Lima Class 73 cab interior is a direct fit for the Class 31, Lima even put the locating holes in the chassis frame for them.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes, that's them.  I always reckoned they intended to install them in the 31 model as the locating holes are there but for some reason never did. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

18 hours ago, SRman said:

If you are referring to cab interiors, then certain types are available separately, but I'm not sure about the class 30/31 specifically. Class 73 cabs are certainly available and fairly compact so could be made to fit.

The Lima 30/31 has a ringfield motor bogie at one end only. Likewise the Hornby RailRoad model based on the Lima one (with 5-pole motor instead).

Iirc, some lima models had a central mounted motor, any ide what they were?

6 hours ago, Graham Radish said:

Iirc, some lima models had a central mounted motor, any ide what they were?

As mentioned above, class 20 and also the class 67. I can't think of any other British Lima ones off-hand, but some of their European models also had central can motors.

Guest Half-full
5 hours ago, SRman said:

As mentioned above, class 20 and also the class 67. I can't think of any other British Lima ones off-hand, but some of their European models also had central can motors.

No other UK Lima had central motors and its worthy to note that the Class 20 only had drive to one bogie.

• RMweb Premium

I could have sworn I had a later production Lima 20 that had drive shafts to both bogies but thinking back all those decades it could have been a modification by a previous owner as most of my loco acquisitions back then were second hand in the days when a half decent used loco could be picked up for only fifteen or twenty quid at a show.

3 hours ago, Half-full said:

No other UK Lima had central motors and its worthy to note that the Class 20 only had drive to one bogie.

The design wasn't great either as they picked up from one bogie only and the 2 I had ran much worse than the other Lima locos I had at the time.

• Agree 1