Hornby East Midlands Trains HST

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

I’ve been tempted by a Hornby EMT HST power car set and I’m wondering if it’s worth considering?  I’m also aware that the intermediate coaches can go for silly money but I’m also thinking that I should maybe hold back and wait to see if Hornby re-issue it as per the NR New Measurement Train HST.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Darius43 said:

A reissue may be unlikely as EMT lost the franchise to EMR.

Darius

True but it’s the same when VTEC handed the keys back and it became LNER, Hornby reissued the HST for that.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, fiftyfour fiftyfour said:

Very short lived livery! And the coach livery for the three ex Grand Cancel sets is different to the core EMT livery so you'd be after another set of coaches to go with them...

Yes. While you could have another set of coaches you could also run with the VP power cars and 2+8 sets as well. 

You need three rakes and three pairs of power cars to replicate the current scene;

EMR Intercity (old EMT rebranded) 

later version of above (only on ex Grand Cancel vehicles)

EMR "Red" sets (old LNER rebranded)

You can run your "red" ex LNER power cars on the sets in the old EMT livery provided you have chosen to model the correct sets!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think theres more chance of EMR ex-LNER HSTs at this point...its probably also the last “new livery” HSTs will ever wear in service.

they are afterall the HST swansong for meaningful bulk operations.

After that its “trainset HSTs” with short formations.. and just the cross country ones.

I would consider the EMT set Hornby R2948 already issued, it includes 43048 TCB Miller, which is earmarked for preservation to the HST group.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1

On 08/07/2020 at 10:53, fiftyfour fiftyfour said:

Very short lived livery! And the coach livery for the three ex Grand Cancel sets is different to the core EMT livery so you'd be after another set of coaches to go with them...

Not as short lived as the LNER HSTs that Hornby brought out last year. The real ones wore those schemes for a year, if that, before moving to EMR. Really odd that Hornby keeps reissuing new sets of the Virgin/LNER and GWR HST sets year on year but no East Midlands set since 2011.

Unless you’re really concerned about keeping your layout bang up to date I would go for the R2948 power car set (the real ones go out of service at the end of this month so they won’t be current for much longer). The model is very nice indeed but good luck not spending over £300/350 second hand and £400 new as they are super rare. I got mine last year with a full set of 8 coaches for £795 which now looks like a bargain.

100479450_10222362103578413_2353851251705249792_o.jpg.9576f01e2b07f9f82aca6292db99f2fe.jpg

F80A4295-97F8-45F6-85C8-1D14C1AD32A5.jpeg.512893beebc9cc14efac854bd44e8bce.jpeg

5AD089EE-11AC-42E2-975F-86E999D86F44.jpeg

Edited by bart2day
  • Like 6

and also needing a layout long enough to take a 10-vehicle HST, which is (I figured!) the reason for the apparent short-former on the sublime layout pictured!

Chasing your tail on the absolute bang up to date schemes is a rich mans hobby and a fools errand- I'm looking forward to people fizzing about the Avanti Pendolino when it comes out later this year even though its livery has already been superseded on the real trains.

From a HST perspective, and mostly because of my geographic area, top of my wish list is First Great Western "Barbie" 2002-2008 style, a livery which has NEVER been released other than on the 1976 Hornby toy moulding but is a livery that was worn by nearly half the entire HST fleet over a long period than pretty much any ECML operator has survived for!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, fiftyfour fiftyfour said:

and also needing a layout long enough to take a 10-vehicle HST, which is (I figured!) the reason for the apparent short-former on the sublime layout pictured!

Chasing your tail on the absolute bang up to date schemes is a rich mans hobby and a fools errand- I'm looking forward to people fizzing about the Avanti Pendolino when it comes out later this year even though its livery has already been superseded on the real trains.

From a HST perspective, and mostly because of my geographic area, top of my wish list is First Great Western "Barbie" 2002-2008 style, a livery which has NEVER been released other than on the 1976 Hornby toy moulding but is a livery that was worn by nearly half the entire HST fleet over a long period than pretty much any ECML operator has survived for!

I emailed Hornby last night asking if they’d consider doing a re-release but I’m not holding my breath :P.  As my layout is set between 2018/19 and before East Midlands Trains lost the franchise, I just thought it would be nice to have a set but it’s not a life changer.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, fiftyfour fiftyfour said:

Thankyou! Yes indeed. My layout is only long enough for a 2x2 formation. The other 6 coaches are stuck in their boxes.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 10/07/2020 at 02:52, bart2day said:

Not as short lived as the LNER HSTs that Hornby brought out last year. The real ones wore those schemes for a year, if that, before moving to EMR. Really odd that Hornby keeps reissuing new sets of the Virgin/LNER and GWR HST sets year on year but no East Midlands set since 2011.

Unless you’re really concerned about keeping your layout bang up to date I would go for the R2948 power car set (the real ones go out of service at the end of this month so they won’t be current for much longer). The model is very nice indeed but good luck not spending over £300/350 second hand and £400 new as they are super rare. I got mine last year with a full set of 8 coaches for £795 which now looks like a bargain.

100479450_10222362103578413_2353851251705249792_o.jpg.9576f01e2b07f9f82aca6292db99f2fe.jpg

F80A4295-97F8-45F6-85C8-1D14C1AD32A5.jpeg.512893beebc9cc14efac854bd44e8bce.jpeg

5AD089EE-11AC-42E2-975F-86E999D86F44.jpeg

That has an East Midlands Parkway feel to it... just need some huge cooling towers unlit, foreboding in the background.

• RMweb Gold

I got a email back from Hornsby stating that it was a great idea (their words not mine) and it was certainly worth taking up with the marketing department.  We shall have to see!!! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jools1959 said:

I got a email back from Hornsby stating that it was a great idea (their words not mine) and it was certainly worth taking up with the marketing department.  We shall have to see!!! 

That's good to hear! 

• Like 1