Loco engines buzzing

Chilly

Every loco a mixture of Hornby and Bachmann all buzz (some louder than others) as the power is increased before they set off, is this normal?

The DC controller is the one which came with the Gresley set which states it is 19v and .5A.

Will this stop when they get decoders in (z21 system)?

Chilly

So the z21 is an excellent system, but it's the decoders that are fitted to the locos that will determine their performance.

What decoders will you be fitting to the locos?

Regards,

John P

2 hours ago, jpendle said:

So the z21 is an excellent system, but it's the decoders that are fitted to the locos that will determine their performance.

What decoders will you be fitting to the locos?

Regards,

John P

Hi

All Zimo - MX600R mainly, but there is MX618 (N18) and MX621R in there

Cheers Chilly

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Chilly said:

Hi

All Zimo - MX600R mainly, but there is MX618 (N18) and MX621R in there

Cheers Chilly

Stick to Zimo or Lenz and you wont go far wrong.

To answer your question - yes - as the buzzing is a result of the DC controller output characteristics.

Decoders are powered by a DCC waveform and output their own pulse width modulated (PWM) DC to the motor.

13 hours ago, RAF96 said:

To answer your question - yes - as the buzzing is a result of the DC controller output characteristics.

Decoders are powered by a DCC waveform and output their own pulse width modulated (PWM) DC to the motor.

7 hours ago, WIMorrison said:

is this a DC or DCC issue?

Hi RAF96 and Iain

All the loco's still DC at the moment and running in on the Gresley set track with the supplied Hornby controller as I read that is what you do before installing the decoder.

I am awaiting the track for z21 system and the installation of the Zimo decoder in the loco's.

Just wasn't expecting such a buzz ? It does vary per loco but is noticeable. 

Chilly

Ps - Iain we still have the MP1 motor installation and z21 setup to go once the track has arrived so keep your posting diary free :D 

If you are running the DC locos on DC then I wouldn't expect to hear any noise at all, other than the mechanical noise when the loco is running. If everything is new then it may simply be down to mechanical commutator noise as it wont have worn in, however if you have a noise when the locos are stationary then you have an issue.

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Chilly said:

Hi RAF96 and Iain

All the loco's still DC at the moment and running in on the Gresley set track with the supplied Hornby controller as I read that is what you do before installing the decoder.

I am awaiting the track for z21 system and the installation of the Zimo decoder in the loco's.

Just wasn't expecting such a buzz ? It does vary per loco but is noticeable. 

Chilly

Ps - Iain we still have the MP1 motor installation and z21 setup to go once the track has arrived so keep your posting diary free :D 

There is an easy way of checking whether the noise is coming from use of a poor quality controller or within the loco itself.

Disconnect the Hornby controller and connect a 9 volt battery across the rails. If you get near silent running of the locos, then the problem is caused by the controller.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, WIMorrison said:

If you are running the DC locos on DC then I wouldn't expect to hear any noise at all, other than the mechanical noise when the loco is running. If everything is new then it may simply be down to mechanical commutator noise as it wont have worn in, however if you have a noise when the locos are stationary then you have an issue.

3 hours ago, kevinlms said:

There is an easy way of checking whether the noise is coming from use of a poor quality controller or within the loco itself.

Disconnect the Hornby controller and connect a 9 volt battery across the rails. If you get near silent running of the locos, then the problem is caused by the controller.

All new loco's, I will try the 9 v battery as a test.

There is no noise when they are stationary only when the power increases and a buzz starts, I suspect it is the newness and the Hornby controller .... hopefully as it surely can't be a problem with 11 new loco's.

Chilly 

11 hours ago, WIMorrison said:

10 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Just tried 3 with the 9v battery and the only noise is the wheels/gears moving no buzz at all so that must mean it is the controller.

This controller came with the Gresley set is it a case of sending it back?

Chilly

5 minutes ago, WIMorrison said:

Personally I would get it changed. Even with DCC and a z21 you still want a reliable DC source around to test, clean and service locos - at least I do ;)

Hi Iain

Just finished doing them all and they all worked OK with no buzzing whatsoever.

I suppose the bright point if there is one is that I got it direct from Hornby, what do I say when I ask them to change it, just that it is faulty?

Chilly

54 minutes ago, WIMorrison said:

I would just tell them exactly what you have found and state that you are not happy, especially as all others work OK which suggests that this loco is faulty

Every engine (including Gresley) works quietly on a 9v dc battery it is when used with the supplied Hornby controller R7229 that they all buzz, so the controller must be faulty or not fit for purpose.

Chilly 

Ah, I thought it was just the Gresley that was noisy - with the all noisy and all quiet on a battery it is clearly the controller that is faulty, more faulty and not ‘not fit for purpose’ that is a term that is handed about and very difficult to prove.

contact the seller and tell them it is faulty and that you want a replacement 

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Chilly said:

Every engine (including Gresley) works quietly on a 9v dc battery it is when used with the supplied Hornby controller R7229 that they all buzz, so the controller must be faulty or not fit for purpose.

Chilly 

The noise is feature rather than a fault listen to this review about 11 min in.

22 minutes ago, dhjgreen said:

The noise is feature rather than a fault listen to this review about 11 min in.

That is exactly it !

Sending it back would appear not to help as we will be back to square one, it is a feature of them by the looks of things.

Is it damaging the loco's like alluded to in the video?

It really is annoying is there a cheap alternative that does not do this as I just need it for a a running in track?

Chilly

14 hours ago, WIMorrison said:

Ah, I thought it was just the Gresley that was noisy - with the all noisy and all quiet on a battery it is clearly the controller that is faulty, more faulty and not ‘not fit for purpose’ that is a term that is handed about and very difficult to prove.

contact the seller and tell them it is faulty and that you want a replacement 

Sorry but tagged you in so that you can hear what  happens on all loco's. :whistle:

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Chilly said:

That is exactly it !

Sending it back would appear not to help as we will be back to square one, it is a feature of them by the looks of things.

Is it damaging the loco's like alluded to in the video?

It really is annoying is there a cheap alternative that does not do this as I just need it for a a running in track?

Chilly

Sorry but tagged you in so that you can hear what  happens on all loco's. :whistle:

Personally I doubt whether it does damage the locos, it would be very costly for Hornby with warranty claims, if it did!

The noise is slightly annoying, but the choice is yours for a shortish testing cycle.

• 2 weeks later...