Sidmouth in P4

10sidmouth

• RMweb Gold

Despite the lengthy list of appearances both at exhibitions and in railway magazines, somehow the WoR virtual show was the first time I'd seen the layout (I did write a paragraph about the layout on my external blog, if you're interested). Needless to say I'm in awe. There's so much exceptional modelling going on here. Of course, I'm naturally biased by the theme, but the execution is superb. The buildings in particular are really "something else!"; it's a layout I'd definitely love to see one day. You very much deserve all the accolades that you've received.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

Having been a devotee of all things East Devon, all I can say is that this layout is absolutely marvellous. I've only ever seen it on video, so cant comment on the running, but what I have seen certainly works. 

I could sit for hours and study it, Richard. 

• Agree 3

Hi Richard your layout of Sidmouth is excellent, I hope to one day see it in the flesh.

Where did you source your concrete post SR iron  fencing from as well as your SR 4 Wire fencing?  I'm looking to get hold of some for my Ilfracombe Layout?

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for the slow response. The concrete posts are from Ratio, so not wholly correct. I believe that some enterprising soul is producing an authentic version in brass. As soon as I know who, I will will post it on here. The 'wire' is very fine (0.1mm) nylon thread

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 07/08/2020 at 15:28, 10sidmouth said:

Here is the completed BR Std 3 2-6-2. She joins her sisters 82010 and 82019 on the layout. 

Fireman just checking his injector prior to departure for Sidmouth Jct.

IMG_0035.JPG.6b5687ce0129c2b71861a91562364e24.JPG

Of Note 82019 was the oldest Std 3 in service in 1967, she was at Exmouth Jct for around 10 years and the last in traffic finishing her days at Nine Elms on the last Saturday of SR steam, travelling to Salisbury with a Std 4 tank for withdrawal 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Many apologies for not replying to your question. I read somewhere that the company was founded in the early/mid 1950s, so I guess their tenure of the former engine shed (closed in the 1930s) dated from then. I was told that there were light and heavy machine shops in the building and that SE refurbished components from tanks and armoured vehicles for the MOD. Perhaps your friend could throw more light on this subject?

• 9 months later...