Leeds MRS CIO 23rd 24 th October 2021 is go! Updated Layout , Traders and Demonstrators lists in the updated first post

Barry O

30 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

As I hadn't driven through Leeds for about 15 years I avoided the centre and went up the M1 to the Ring Road. Found my way quite easily although I haven't used it for five years, just followed the Ring Road signs and turned right at the Harrogate sign. Bit of a jam at Crossgates but otherwise OK.

Coming back got a clear run right through to the temporary traffic lights above Woodhead. I thought of coming back via the M62 and Holme Moss but hadn't checked the details so stuck to the way I knew.

Coming to the show this morning it was M62/M621/A61, but going home I used the ring road east to get to the M1 and thought at first that the issue was within the bit on the M1 and the M62 so was because I had gone a different route back.  My car directed me over to the A58 to keep me away from the motorway issues but just turfed me onto the road with all the other divertees whose sat navs had also redirected them.

When I got to the M1 I did think, just drive to Sheffield and do Woodhead, but I did think it a rather long way round and there are always queues around Glossop and Dinting.

In the end it's no biggie, enjoyed the show which was the main thing.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

My car directed me over to the A58 to keep me away from the motorway issues but just turfed me onto the road with all the other divertees whose sat navs had also redirected them.

Woodhead was a bit busier than I expected which was probably down to the M62 problems, a breakdown J25-J24 and accident J23-J22 westbound apparently.  

The A628 has a problem at the moment because it looks as if someone has clouted the Armco and parapet at Salters Brook. The road is down to one lane over the bridge. I turn off at the Crowden junction and over the Woodhead Dam to get across to home. Usually I find the worst part is further on between the A628/A57 junction at the Gun traffic lights in Hollingworth and the Mottram crossroads but fortunately don't go that way often now.

• Friendly/supportive 1

A very good show with quality layouts. i enjoyed Rosedale, Herculaneum and Grantham. A couple may have been short handed.  So a special shout out for the operation of Maristow where 2 operators kept constant activity.

I visited Sunday PM by which time any bargains on the trade had gone and some tat was surfacing. 

Good to hear the voices of Charlie and Roger around the trade.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

I've been wanting to take the wife to see Ladybower from the a57 but it always looks too busy at the Glossop end, but Mottram / Hollingworth is always bad, I am sure it's to justify the diversionary route proposals

:offtopic:

Tends to be a bit hit and miss depending on the time of day. Since Brexit the peaks have changed as we don't get the same number of lorries on the Ireland to Europe dash between boats. School run times are the worst through Glossop and Dinting. If you know the back ways you can avoid most of the traffic lights through Glossop.

You can always do the circular tour I do on my E-Bike which is Glossop, Ladybower, Bamford, Hope, Edale and Mam Nick or Castleton and Wynatts Pass to the old Mam Tor road landslips, then Chinley and Hayfield

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the positive support.the traders seemed happy tonight.

Numbers were down but those that did make it hopefully all enjoyed it. Thanks for attending!

A nu ber of"lost" members came along over the weekend and are coming back down to the Club which is excellent news!

Apologies for shortage of operators..major dcc problem on Herculaneum today meant no LOR or the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board operation .. many apologies!

Also nice to meet the odd ER and other RMWeb visitors!

We now start planning next year's show!

If you can't wait until October 2022 then come to our Open Day in November.

Baz

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 2

I do hope that the show washes its face financially as I absolutely applaud the Leeds club (and those others similarly) for 'going for it' in staging the show when there was a much easier decision that could have been taken a few months ago.

For our part, I suggested to our (Grantham) team that we should be 'modest' in our expense claims on this occasion being otherwise a large (equals expensive) layout to exhibit, so I hope that's helped a bit. It just felt so good to be back into the whole exhibition experience again.

Perhaps the best thing you can say is that modest numbers meant it was a Covid-kind show and visitors got good access to barriers:locomotive:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

We were more than a bit short handed with Herculaneum Dock, in place of our usual team of seven (all knowing what to do) we had two plus one more half time and several willing volunteer newcomers. They all did very well but it's a rather steep learning curve on this complex layout. On Sunday morning three of us had it all working pretty well and then in the middle of the afternoon the DCC system stopped working so we couldn't run on the dock railway or the Overhead.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

I took my six year old on Sunday and we both enjoyed ourselves. Reevy Road West was my personal favourite of a good bunch of layouts. My daughter was most impressed by the Head Master's "throne" just outside the dinning hall. I clearly have more work to do!

Many thanks to all involved.

Steven B.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am interested in collating information from recent shows about attendance, compared with pre-Covid years.   The aim would be to help inform other clubs about what to expect or plan for when reaching decisions.   Can you quantify anything from the Leeds Show please e.g. the percentage change in attendance compared with the last equivalent show?  Thanks in anticipation.

Stephen Wolstenholme

• RMweb Premium

I don't think we know yet but it was busy on Sunday, I think we may have had more "modellers" than usual but less of the general public.

I took all the DCC gubbins out of Herculaneum Dock to test on the bench yesterday - needless to say it all worked perfectly.....

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

I don't think we know yet but it was busy on Sunday, I think we may have had more "modellers" than usual but less of the general public.

I took all the DCC gubbins out of Herculaneum Dock to test on the bench yesterday - needless to say it all worked perfectly.....

You clearly did not take enough coins for the electricity meter provided by the organisers....

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

We thoroughly enjoyed being back out again this weekend.. even waiting an age for a certain trader too release his table cloths on Sunday eve didn't dampen our spirits. Thanks to John and his team for making it such an enjoyable weekend.  I even managed to get some more sleepers stuck down between the many catchups and explanations.

Mark and Neil

20211024_111532.jpg

20211024_114736.jpg

Edited by Long Line
Improved text
  • Like 3

I’d just like to add my thanks to those who put on the show, the traders, and of course the exhibitors. I thought the quality of the layouts was very high across the board. The fact it wasn’t too busy was actually quite pleasant and caused me to make a second trip on Sunday. A great show thank you 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

Being from Lancashire it could be alleged that I may bring an element of bias to the discourse...

In my defence I should say that I have not been to the Leeds Show but the best exhibitor hospitality I have experienced at exhibitions is at Wakefield and Pontefract and my favourite show as a visitor is York......

Chris

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Gilbert said:

In my defence I should say that I have not been to the Leeds Show but the best exhibitor hospitality I have experienced at exhibitions is at Wakefield and Pontefract and my favourite show as a visitor is York......

Chris

So you missed out on the breakfast and the lunch at our show in Leeds??

We will be having a show next October..

Baz

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Stephenwolsten said:

I am interested in collating information from recent shows about attendance, compared with pre-Covid years.   The aim would be to help inform other clubs about what to expect or plan for when reaching decisions.   Can you quantify anything from the Leeds Show please e.g. the percentage change in attendance compared with the last equivalent show?  Thanks in anticipation.

Stephen Wolstenholme

If clubs want to know they can contact us direct. We don't provide such information to people we don't know.. unless you wait untilwe send our accounts to the charity commission..

Baz

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Gilbert said:

You might say that but I did not comment! ;)

I'm allowed to - it says Waterloo, Lancashire on my Birth Certificate. Dad was a Yorkshireman, Mum was a Lancashire girl & I'm married to a Yorkshire lass :sungum:

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Confirmed tonight that we have achieved an excess of income over expenditure.great news and thanks to all who attended the Show.

Exhibition 71 next October.

Baz

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Barry O said:

Confirmed tonight that we have achieved an excess of income over expenditure.great news and thanks to all who attended the Show.

Exhibition 71 next October.

Baz

That's great to hear (on both counts!) and I look forward to coming back next year.

Jonathan

JSModels

• Like 2