New project has arrived.

Hi all,

Well my next Triang restoration has arrived. It is a split framed Triang Princess from some time in the mid to late 1950's, Though I think the body is from a later version as it appears not to be made out of cellulose plastic. It was sold as a none runner but only took me 5 minutes to strip and clean the motor. Which now runs as sweet as a nut. So far the only other things I have done is service the chassis and replaced the bogie wheels with newer ones. Replaced the tender with a newer one as the one that came with the engine is in a very poor condition. I just happened to have a spare one. Plus found some replacement steam valves as one was missing from this engine. I would like to replace the rear pony wheels but I am not too sure how to get the wheels out and newer ones in. Any ideas. When finished the engine is going to be painted all black and named Princess Margaret Rose. Here is what I have started with. I will post more pictures as I get further into this project. Because of the age of this engine the restoration is going to be sympathetic rather that all out.

1a princess.jpg

1b princess.jpg

1c princess.jpg

1d princess.jpg

• Like 3

Hi all,

Here is the first update on the Princess.

So far I have done:

Filed away the very large moulding line on the top of the boiler,

Increased the height of the front buffer beam by 1.5mm so it will take the correct buffers.

Replaced the front bogie wheels.

Fixed the faulty motor. All it really needed was a good clean.

Replaced the missing steam valve.

Made and fitted a footplate in the cab.

Made and fitted front and rear coupling hooks out of brass strip.

Fitted vacuum pipes. 

Fitted lamp brackets to the front of the engine. They might be a bit hard to see at the moment as I used a different method. Instead of brass strip I used stainless steel wire.

Fixed a small amount of a damaged section of the rear part of the tender.

Put new buffers front and rear to replace the far to small buffers originally fitted. The front ones are now the correct oval buffers for this engine.

Serviced the chassis and cleaned the wheels. It took me 2 hours to clean the driving wheels of 60 years worth of dirt and oil.

Put caps on the water tank vents.

That's it so far.

Still to do:

Full repaint and rename and renumber.

Put new driving wheels on from a later Princess so it will run on code 100 rail.

Glaze the windows,

Paint and fit crew.

Real coal in the tender.

DSC_0879.JPG

DSC_0880.JPG

DSC_0881.JPG

DSC_0882.JPG

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I think your Princess is from later than the mid 50s, cypherman; the original front bogie has the second type of Triang tension lock coupling, the precursor of all the modern types, which I think came in 1958.  I've never removed the axle from one of these open ended axle box Rovex Triangs, but imagine you put the wheels in a vice held be the flanges and drift them out.

Hi Johnster,

It is a 50's loco. Well it was until I decided it would be easier to use a later chassis rather than replace the old wheels. Now it is a hybrid.

This is the link to the post for the finished engine.