Traintronics point motors Availability

Johnfromoz

Hi,

Hunting for a couple of these low profile DCC fitted point motors, due to height restrictions Under my baseboard. (Cobalts too big)  Are they discontinued?  Cannot find any in stock anywhere. Hattons have them on order, but they seem to have been missing from the shelves for some time.

20 minutes ago, WIMorrison said:

but they are available, easy to fit, and a DR4018 decoder isn't expensive ;)

...but not what the OP said they are looking for.

You might as well have recommended a wheelbarrow instead. :jester:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

@Johnfromoz I am sorry, it appears that trying to help you resolve the issue that you have doesn't meet the pedants on the forum who want to play silly word games. 

I hope that the pragmatic solution I have offered will show that there are options that meet you needs, and at an affordable price.

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

21 hours ago, Johnfromoz said:

Hi,

Hunting for a couple of these low profile DCC fitted point motors, due to height restrictions Under my baseboard. (Cobalts too big)  Are they discontinued?  Cannot find any in stock anywhere. Hattons have them on order, but they seem to have been missing from the shelves for some time.

If it's of any help, Cobalts can be mounted horizontally, with a matching Cobalt right angle adapter.

DCC Concepts say this reduces the depth below the board surface, from 67mm to 40mm.

Note that the total depth of the Traintronics TT300 was 41mm.

....or you could use a wheelbarrow.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, BromsMods said:

Bournemouth Model Railway Centre, which produced the Traintronics range of accessories, closed down last year as far as I know so I guess Traintronics parts are no longer being produced.

See https://www.itv.com/news/meridian/2019-04-17/model-railway-enthusiast-shutting-up-shop-half-a-century-since-opening/

Bad news for the turnouts on Fourgig East :( I guess once one TT300 fails I'll have to rip out the others and go MERG servo driven, which will then mean using my new project to control the signals too!

2 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

If it's of any help, Cobalts can be mounted horizontally, with a matching Cobalt right angle adapter.

DCC Concepts say this reduces the depth below the board surface, from 67mm to 40mm.

Note that the total depth of the Traintronics TT300 was 41mm.

....or you could use a wheelbarrow.

That’s really interesting and useful info about the cobalt Horizontal mounting using an adaptor.  Has anyone tried one this way?

Further to my last, this is what is so bloody great about this forum; thanks to ALL who offered information and options!

the Cobalt is what I particularly wanted to use, but would never in a million years have worked out that they could be used horizontally without advice from Ron. The depth is then spot-on for my needs.   I will place an order for the adapters.

again,  thanks to all.

John

• Thanks 1

Hi all Cobalt users,

while I await the arrival of my right angle adaptors to enable me to mount the Cobalt IP motors horizontally, was curious about wether any RM Webbers have used cobalt motors in this way?

I must admit to a bit of concern about using an extension pin at right angles and its accuracy re fine adjustment etc.

Also, there is a curious void in the top face of the motor block when mounting horizontally, which precludes using double sided adhesive pads?  perhaps I can place some foam in this space to reduce noise.

Any thoughts appreciated.

John

I have one mounted on its side due to space constraints and I ended up using a block of wood and a bit of brass tube to guide the turnout wire.

i needed this motor to be surface mounted and the DCC Concepts brackets didn’t meet the needs I had whereas this ‘bodge’ has been working for several years now

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering if anyone would be likely to take up production of the TT300 point motors and also the colour light signals and control boards which seemed to be rather good.

I've had a number of TT300s on the go on my layout for quite a long time now and part from one odd DoA, they continue to perform well.

John

Here's a picture of a Digital IP Cobalt with a right angled adapter - DCP-RA3 (3 pack)

It shows above board mounting. For under board, use the same wire, but without the 90 degree bend after the adapter. (And obviously a hole in the baseboard!)

ra3.jpg.4b5b74f21b019d2a4cfcf9a6be0ab2af.jpg

Best Regards,

The DCCconcepts Team

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1