Yet another as yet untitled layout.

trainsandco

Afternoon all,

You’ve arrived at a thread for a layout which I’m going to admit now, is a touch ambitious, as it incorporate many ideas that I’ve never really ventured into. However, how are you supposed to learn, if you don’t challenge yourself? (And that’s the excuse that I’m working with at the moment.)

The layout in question is situated in a medium loft space, with dimensions of about 5m x 3.5m with the layout itself being about a meter thick, with the ability to be a bit thicker around the curves. I’ve never properly planned anything like this, so scale is potentially what might cause issues (ie me thinking I can fit more in than I can). However despite my planning, I’m willing to take the risk and make changes wherever needed.

So the prototype in question is deep seated GWR territory (I can already hear some people sighing!) with a number of GWR landmarks being thrown in for good measure. Now ignoring my lack of skill at a digital art, here is the track plan I’ve conceived. Double track mainline, with a station, large goods yard, hidden fiddle yard, a tunnel, and a viaduct. Perfect for fast paced expresses, and long slow freight alike. The things I’ve numbered are things that I’ve taken inspiration from.

50089975948_efb1258198_c_d.jpg

1) Potentially the most ambitious thing here. A Brunel Timber framed viaduct. Loosely based on Collegewood Viaduct - if it was double track...and on a mainline. I chose Collegewood as a starting point, as I like the design, and it was still in existence in my era of choice (the early 30’s, it wasn’t replaced until 1934)

50090790377_9812dc3b16_c_d.jpg

2) This junction is based on Cogload Junction, I haven’t quite drawn it correctly as the over bridge is supposed to cover both lines, however that’s the aim! (Apologies to the photographer, I forgot to take note of the name when I saved this picture)

50090790312_4dc2dd3df1_c_d.jpg

3) This is still in the mix at the moment, as the amount of work to create a small single track to go under the mainline is putting me off slightly, but this little spur I’ve taken inspiration from where Huntley and Palmers Biscuit factory’s internal railway crossed under the GWML in Reading, a really small little tight bridge coming away from an array of sidings.

(I couldn’t’t find a decent photo showing this)

4) Something else a little ambitious, and that’s Box Tunnels Western portal. I just like it. No idea how I’m gonna make it though!

50090790427_3c55e79e62_c_d.jpg

5) Lastly, the goods yard itself is pretty much a direct copy (albeit a touch smaller) of the goods yard at Hoo Junction. This is purely because I was struggling to find any track plans of a goods yard of a similar size.

50089975943_14b80cdb6a_c_d.jpg

So any other ambitious plans for this? I hear you cry. (I presuming here). Yes there are. I’ve only ever had, and made flat baseboards before, so creating a big valley for that viaduct will certainly be fun. Also, I intend to build all my points (well the ones that will be visible anyway), this is for 2 reasons; Firstly, I don’t like rtr points, they’re too short, even the express ones. Secondly, points are expensive, as I’m making a switch to code 75 from code 100 this time, I have nothing to work with, and with the track plan above I require 38 sets of points, which I’ve calculated comes in around the £500 mark. Making your own points, it seems is far cheaper, and it’ll give me a sense of pride (or at least a few more soldering iron burns).

As you might be able to tell, I’ve done more planning that actual leg work at the moment - I’ve had some free time at work lately, but I’ve put in an order for some wood from wickes, that’ll be here next week and hopefully I’ll start to get somewhere and you may see updates, I might even think of a name.

Thanks for looking.

Ben

• Like 2

looking good so far, re that tunnel portal, I'm sure I've seen a thread on here where someone makes a similar one, as to how to make one I'd say design it to scale on graph paper/computer program, and build the 3D shape out with layers of mounting card, and use embossed plastic/scribed DAS clay to get the stone texture 

• 2 months later...

Update!

So it’s been a while, but I have been pooteling along, albeit not to the amount I would have liked. The reason for this slowness is partly down to the nice weather, I finally have a day off, our lass has nothing planned for me, but then the sun is shining and the loft is the approximate temperature of the firebox on the Cornish Riviera just reaching the peak of Wellington Bank, so the loft is a write off for that day.

So the baseboards aren’t quite fully built yet, they’re about 92% done, as I’m without a suitable saw to get some of the cuts to get the boards around the beams, so whilst the boards are basically in place, they need final fitting.

50383596301_fbf5e7f761_c_d.jpg 
50383596506_267c32bf9a_c_d.jpg

So while the loft is an oven, I need other things to do, and that I have done. Ive built all the sets of the points for the outer loop, so I can get something running as soon as. I’m struggling a bit to get track (at a reasonable price) because of the great 2020 code 75 track shortage - surely the worst thing to happen this year.

50383596446_0930be5e4a_c_d.jpg50382897773_ecc6fe1538_c_d.jpg

I’ve also been cracking on with the timber frame viaduct - at least a first draft, it still needs some fettling, and it’s a little rough in places. But overall I’m quite happy with how it’s coming on, initially I was a bit worried that it might not be strong enough with it being made of balsa wood, however just from messing around it feels surprisingly strong, which is very confidence boosting. I’ll need to remake this for the actual layout, as it’s a bit rough, but it’s giving me a good indication and good practice.

50382897818_666da8e69d_c_d.jpg

Lastly, I’ve come up with a name. Balsup. I’ll be making a few so I might as well name it after them.

• Like 4