Russian Decapods

Bosun

I think I know the unusual history of these locomotives and I've always been fascinated by all those wheels.

Now, I have two of them in HO. The Bachmann 2-10-0, which has so much air under the small boiler, is a lovely model.

The brass United Frisco Russian 2-10-0 is also a grand model.

Both, I think, are meant to be models of 2-10-0s shipped to Russia, yet they are completely different. The Frisco has a much larger boiler and looks like a later (possibly WW2 locomotive). Why are they different?

Art

You'd have to find some plans and take some measurements, then compare the two to see which is right.

Lots of different reasons they could be different, different sets of plans they measured to make the models.

They are both intended to be the same engine.

Back in the 1970's I belonged to a model railroad club and one fellow had a Russian decapod, we hated it when he ran it, it was geared slow and took fooooooorrrrreeeeeevvvveeeerrrr to get around the railroad.

Edited by dave1905

There were 2-10-0's built in the USA specifically for WWII service in Russia. Quite a few of these still exist in Russia. 

The Bachmann model is one of the WW1-era locomotives. The locomotives that eventually ended up on the Frisco were part of this group. I would guess the United model is just a bit oversized. 

I wrote an article on detailing one of the Bachmann locomotives to it's as-built condition. Not sure if it is online anywhere. It was "The Unintended Patriot: Modeling Reading's "Russian Decapod" No. 1127" in the December 2002 issue. They were super neat with their designed-for-Russia handrails, long cab roof, steps and other details. 

All the best,

Rob Davis 

RDG.jpg

Edited by Robert John Davis
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Bosun said:

I think I know the unusual history of these locomotives and I've always been fascinated by all those wheels.

Now, I have two of them in HO. The Bachmann 2-10-0, which has so much air under the small boiler, is a lovely model.

The brass United Frisco Russian 2-10-0 is also a grand model.

Both, I think, are meant to be models of 2-10-0s shipped to Russia, yet they are completely different. The Frisco has a much larger boiler and looks like a later (possibly WW2 locomotive). Why are they different?

Art

At a guess, the brass model is likely older and thus may have had compromises to allow for the limitation of motors of the time.

For example this website indicates that the brass model may be from 1977, whereas the Bachmann model is from 2002.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ho-brass-pfm-santa-fe-russian-10-134749049

The Model Railroader review of the Bachmann model in 2002 indicates it was close to the available drawings - though how close isn't said, and it is always possible the drawings could be in error.

https://mrr.trains.com/news-reviews/staff-reviews/2002/04/Bachmann-ho-scale-russian-2-10-0-decapod-steam-locomotive

At the end of the day what really matters is whether you like them or not.

All great answers and all possibly true. I should have a copy of the 12/2002 RMC.

Another question is: Were the WWI and WWII versions the same?

Thanks!

All the best,

Art

• RMweb Premium

According to wikipedia and looking at photos of Finnish class Tr2 the 1940's batch are derived from the original locos but the Soviets did make changes as did the American manufacturers so while similar they are different, not least because they had mechanical stokers.