It would be nice to see some industrial layouts

Stoker

There have been some great industrial NG layouts in the past. Ruston's "Whitaker's Tramway", Roy C Link's "NG Sand And Gravel", Hull MRS's "Barrowfleet Brickworks", to name the few I know by heart. But it feels like there aren't many out there in a sea of slate, passenger, and trench layouts. Now I'm wondering if there's anyone on here who can point me to a few more. I could use some inspiration for future projects!

3 hours ago, Stoker said:

There have been some great industrial NG layouts in the past. Ruston's "Whitaker's Tramway", Roy C Link's "NG Sand And Gravel", Hull MRS's "Barrowfleet Brickworks", to name the few I know by heart. But it feels like there aren't many out there in a sea of slate, passenger, and trench layouts. Now I'm wondering if there's anyone on here who can point me to a few more. I could use some inspiration for future projects!

Have a look at Went. Currently on the free to a new home page.

I had a small one built by one of the Wyre Forest guys called K Ottick Engineering in 009, I got it after it had been stored for a decade or so and it was very run down and dusty. Completely stripped, cleaned and track relaid. It was only small, 4ft by 19". Now with new owners. I have seen the photos for that other one, all I'll say for any person taking it on is that it will be a lot of work, so be prepared!

yPVx2tT.jpg

KvFEcFp.jpg

lWaGeUd.jpg

l5YUYKF.jpg

2w7NDSe.jpg

DVLY3To.jpg

cgQ12sf.jpg

gi9SUEg.jpg

tcYicmA.jpg

Edited by Hobby
  • Like 10

Just now, Paul H Vigor said:

Purely industrial narrow gauge layouts - in any scale - do appear to be quite rare? I guess there is always a temptation to run some kind of passenger service?

It would seem so. I can't personally fathom the attraction with passenger trains, but perhaps it says something about my personality type when I say I'd much rather see a train carrying dried sewage than people!

I'm open to the possibility that I might just be one of a lone few who gets excited about conveyor belts and chimney stacks.

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

1 minute ago, Stoker said:

It would seem so. I can't personally fathom the attraction with passenger trains, but perhaps it says something about my personality type when I say I'd much rather see a train carrying dried sewage than people!

I'm open to the possibility that I might just be one of a lone few who gets excited about conveyor belts and chimney stacks.

Industrial Railways of the South East - Middleton Press

www.middletonpress.co.uk › ... › Mineral Railways

1 Apr 1984 - In the first half of this century most heavy industrial concerns had their own distinctive railway systems. The lesser known oddities are included ...

Just now, Paul H Vigor said:

Industrial Railways of the South East - Middleton Press

www.middletonpress.co.uk › ... › Mineral Railways

1 Apr 1984 - In the first half of this century most heavy industrial concerns had their own distinctive railway systems. The lesser known oddities are included ...

I love lessor known oddities! ;)

• Agree 1

50 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Purely industrial narrow gauge layouts - in any scale - do appear to be quite rare? I guess there is always a temptation to run some kind of passenger service?

I’m a great aficionado of real INGR, but largely gave up on them as modelling inspiration because operations seem boring when reduced to miniature.

They tend to be “conveyor belts”, empties out, loaded back, tip and go again.

The ones that I think have greatest modelling potential are the Irish peat railways, and similar sugar cane, beet, and potato railways, and timber hauling, because they tend to have a bit more operational variety and long runs, but I’ve seen very few models - a good one of the Smiths potato railway in 009 for instance.

There are plenty of books and videos around, and older NGRS mags have a lot of interest.

34749EC4-E9EF-4EB0-9BDF-8CFA9A181F4B.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

Railway Modeller (August 2020) popped through the door earlier: very nice 009 industrial-style layout, none of the usual pretty-pretty stuff, the biggest building being an entirely appropriate Nissen hut.

BTW, has the OP seen the magazine Narrow Gauge & Industrial Railway Modelling? Very fine-scale these days, with lots of relevant content.

Or, this website? http://www.ingr.co.uk/   If you look under the tab "railways" you can see pots of inspiring stuff.

Or (ore?) seeing where the OP is, how about modelling the original Dolly Varden Mine operation in BC? It was truly wonderful from a railway point of view, and there is a superb book about it "Steel Rails and Silver Dreams" - much more entertaining than most railway books, because it is mainly about greed and folly on a grand scale. Film of the railway here 

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1

My 0-14 layout The Brickworks appeared on the old RMweb site and can also be found on NGRM if you look hard enough, but all the info and many photos can be found on my blog https://www.freewebs.com/arthurbudd/thebrickworks.htm The photos that accompanied the article in the Modeller  in 1998 can also be found in the Gallery section.

It's about 3 years since I updated this blog, I really must get round to posting some more recent stuff.

Arthur

Untitled-1a.jpg

Edited by Arthur Budd
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 09/07/2020 at 06:45, Stoker said:

One of my favourites was Marcel Ackles' Chnollebahn. Still available to watch on Youtube.

Tidmeric Minerals was a 14mm layout of the Twickenham club. It was one of the earlier 14mm builds, 15ft long with a continuous run with f-yd at the rear. With most 'industrial lines' tending to have one purpose and as simple as possible it was decided to incorporate three scenes of typical 2ft gauge line use to engage visitors. It successfully did over 120 shows in the UK and Europe.  At the right end was a stone crusher and grader, with animated conveyors and rotatary grader (shaver foils), central was a fine model by Brandon Evans of wooden ore loading hoppers from a cornish tin mine photo with a small workshop area at the left end with a water filled slate quarry behind, disguisng the return curve. Along the way a Festiniog rotating signal became incorporated. Eventually sold to a private museuem in Bremen we came home with an empty van.2081927436_tidworks.jpg.4070439aee5ec42034a82c12e0730a55.jpg

1317874582_Tid1.JPG.100bf65cc1fe1a5d2e5b2143ffcd6405.JPG

The crusher end, built from photos, typical rather than precisely modelled. Taken from photos

trestle1.jpg.2a8dffaa6baaae98c714c9b044203c5e.jpg

The trestle, again based on a prototype, though I forget which.

simplex1.jpg.34d124507419e634e1e54bb3da1c44b4.jpg

Works train and stone train in the passing loop. Track design was such that we could operate in either a two of three board format, or all three.

works2.jpg.eaee7f81985118bbb45b417b88ba0c0c.jpg

The left end with part of the small works area and  the flooded slate quarry to the rear. At the first exhibition we had to open the windows as the resin 'water' was still drying and  one of our team had to get lots of nice goodies for his wife as the resin ran out of some holes onto the dining room carpet the night before.

All good things come to and end and sfter selling the layout  (We were moving up to 1:20.3 scale) we found a final picture of the line waiting for the auction:

end3.jpg.abb41b7a18da6dd6ab61903e1bb348f6.jpg

Cheers

Steve W.

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

'Bunny Mine' is my 014 gypsum mine microlayout, portraying the South Notts gypsum industry. There is an. 014 thread on here. Somewhere....

Photos won't load due to  slow upload & old iPad.

Davaspacer.png

Edited by Dava
Crashed loading

2 hours ago, steve W said:

Tidmeric Minerals was a 14mm layout of the Twickenham club. It was one of the earlier 14mm builds, 15ft long with a continuous run with f-yd at the rear. With most 'industrial lines' tending to have one purpose and as simple as possible it was decided to incorporate three scenes of typical 2ft gauge line use to engage visitors. It successfully did over 120 shows in the UK and Europe.  At the right end was a stone crusher and grader, with animated conveyors and rotatary grader (shaver foils), central was a fine model by Brandon Evans of wooden ore loading hoppers from a cornish tin mine photo with a small workshop area at the left end with a water filled slate quarry behind, disguisng the return curve. Along the way a Festiniog rotating signal became incorporated. Eventually sold to a private museuem in Bremen we came home with an empty van.

Cheers

Steve W.

Tidmeric is another one that I was already familiar with, and in fact had downloaded photos to use as inspiration. Being a Cornishman I recognised the ore hoppers immediately (Camborne and Redruth Tramway I think). This is exactly the kind of modelling that I really enjoy, so bravo.

An only slightly mischievous suggestion is to have the ultimate pop-up INGR layout:

- best done in 16mm/ft or bigger;

- lots of track panels;

- a couple of locos and about twenty wagons;

- a garden, public park, canal towpath or alternative venue;

- lay the track (I mean plonk it down on the ground, nothing fancy);

- at one end, empty a wheel barrow of soil, sand, peat, stone chippings etc next to the track;

- using your model trains, and either a radio controlled excavator or a few teaspoons, transport the material to the other end of the line;

- pack-up and put it away for next time.

Very space-efficient, because you can store it all in a box in a cupboard when not “on contract”.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 2