00 Black Five - Caprotti valve gear and low running plate

Photos to follow on this one; for some reason I thought it would be a good idea to add a second Hornby Black 5 (the old type) to the collection but do something different. So...

...I bought a Hornby bodyshell, unpainted but with fittings, a sorry-looking Tri-ang Hall and a Mainline Stanier tender (as the experimental 5MTs all had ones with rivets).

The Hall was originally bought purely for the chassis to provide the 'go', but in the end I also managed to adapt the running plates and splashers to mate with the Black 5 body, avoiding the need to fabricate scratch splashers even if getting rid of the moulded nameplates was a tedious job. The Hall cylinders will be chopped about to make inserts for the Black 5 cylinder block (these locos had no Walschaerts so the Hall rods, slidebars and crossheads work). A sawn-down bit of Hall smokebox/boiler fills in part of the boiler underside which otherwise looks even less convincing with the original running plate cut away.

Quite a few boiler and running plate fittings will need fabricating and adding in to suit, it will be a loco with a single chimney to save a bit of work.

The Hall front bogie turned out to be too long; fortunately I had a Footballer one in the bits box so swapped the wheels into that and fitted it to the chassis!

So although a lot of sawing, filing, filling (hopefully I have enough Milliput) and sanding might be needed it should be quite a good project. Watch this space...

David

Edited by David_Belcher
Tags added.
  • Like 5

On 09/07/2020 at 21:54, David_Belcher said:

Chopped-about body on the loco-drive Hall chassis, and the hacked-about shell showing cut-down Hall running plates and under-boiler insert.

IMG_20200709_195455429.jpg

IMG_20200709_195727859.jpg

IMG_20200709_195519975.jpg

Nice! Let's hope it turns out well and runs nicely along your layout.

On 11/07/2020 at 01:50, LNWR18901910 said:

Nice! Let's hope it turns out well and runs nicely along your layout.

Fingers crossed! I think the mechanical/electrical side will be pretty straightforward, getting the bodywork right is the challenge. Since those pics were taken I've managed to carve away most of the top feed and piping, and the Hall cylinders have now been altered to make inserts for the Stanier cylinder block (which itself will need some hacking about for the Caprotti version).

David

2 hours ago, David_Belcher said:

Fingers crossed! I think the mechanical/electrical side will be pretty straightforward, getting the bodywork right is the challenge. Since those pics were taken I've managed to carve away most of the top feed and piping, and the Hall cylinders have now been altered to make inserts for the Stanier cylinder block (which itself will need some hacking about for the Caprotti version).

David

You should see some models I made with help from an old friend. I've made a Midland Railway 2511 Class 2-6-0 and an LNWR 19" Express Goods 4-6-0 (I'm still working on an LMS version of it).

On 16/07/2020 at 22:30, David_Belcher said:

Running plates/splashers temporarily attached to check fit (smokebox saddle needs extending downwards), cab side sheets reduced in depth. Looks crude, but getting there...

IMG_20200716_222721049.jpg

That big hole where the top feed once was is now filled, likewise the scars from carving off the original steam pipes. Footplating properly reattached now, styrene sheet supports added to both stabilise them (although the bits under the smokebox saddle will need paring away to accommodate new cylinders/steam pipes) and act as a base for extending the firebox and some of the under-boiler area (that X04 means some of the dreaded 'skirt' will have to persist) with Milliput plus boiler banding.

The middle splasher stands further out than the others (presumably as it was the nameplate one on the Hall) but not by too much so it'll stay as it is.

Does anyone know of a good source of not-too-expensive metal castings or 3D printed plastic bits for top feeds (plural as the one off my Fairburn tank got damaged during paint stripping!!), sandbox fillers and lubricators? I've managed to find a suitable dome on eBay but struggling for the other bits and don't have much in the way of good model shops close by.

David

Edited by David_Belcher
Extra info added.
  • Like 1

Latest progress!

The cab now has a floor, front footplate edges have been extended back and a Jackson-Evans cast dome has appeared. Running boards are fixed in place and the boiler skirt made good via a lot of Milliput,  styrene sheet and patience.

Incidentally, if you work in a science lab for your day job, a stainless steel Chattaway-type spatula (those spindly flat ones with one bent-up end) makes an ace Milliput sculpting tool!!

The Mainline tender now has a coat of black spray paint, not before it fell off the bit of cardboard I'd put on the lawn though. All of the grass clippings stuck to it were carefully picked off with tweezers! Those shiny wheels will be toned down later...

David

IMG_20200723_212853285.jpg

IMG_20200723_212842156.jpg

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I see you've found a top feed!  I was going to suggest: https://www.247developments.co.uk/loco_detailing.html   Stanier white metal feed £1.50.

I made a Caprotti '5' about 20 years ago - like you using a Hornby Hall chassis and Black 5 boiler and cab.  The running plate with splashers came from a Mainline "Jubilee and the tender is a painted Wrenn ready made (and rivetted).  Plenty of Milliput too !  I still have it. It runs well but I still need to add the eccentric crank-driven lubricator on the RHS (not many photos around of that side).  Oh, and good luck with the access steps.  They're very slim!

• Like 1

Probably altered brass signal ladder for the steps or else soldered up from wire/office staples.

I think the top feed came from Phoenix Precision in the end.

I'll need to do some thinking about the lubricator linkage. The bulk of the project seems to be coming together easily though.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, David_Belcher said:

<Harry Hill voice>

"Hmm, you like the lining, don't you?"

The more complex shapes on the tender can wait until another day. Cabside numbers to do on Thursday night...

David

IMG_20201001_003406223.jpg

IMG_20201001_003346143.jpg

Does it run well in both directions?

Don't neglect getting the correct details on the tender. 44753 had roller bearing tender axleboxes and all the Caprottis carried sieve boxes mounted on the outside of the tender frames between the leading and middle sets of wheels, and Ivatt LMS Tender Flat Air Vents instead of the 'mushroom type. 

The loco also got AWS gear; https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p772381711/h1a8da06#h1a8da06.

Wizard Models can supply you with all these parts.

Nice work on the conversion, it's looking good.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 06/10/2020 at 08:50, Leander said:

Don't neglect getting the correct details on the tender. 44753 had roller bearing tender axleboxes and all the Caprottis carried sieve boxes mounted on the outside of the tender frames between the leading and middle sets of wheels, and Ivatt LMS Tender Flat Air Vents instead of the 'mushroom type. 

The loco also got AWS gear; https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p772381711/h1a8da06#h1a8da06.

Wizard Models can supply you with all these parts.

Nice work on the conversion, it's looking good.

Was unaware about the tender vents. Fabricated some sieve boxes from plastic scrap, and as the Mainline axlebox mouldings are quite neat, renumbered to plain-bearing 44743.

David

IMG_20201008_075055630.jpg

Edited by David_Belcher
Changed details. Pic included.
  • Like 3
  • Round of applause 1