August 2020 BRM

Howard Smith

• Moderators

August issue? Yes, really... August! It seems like summer is flying past faster than Mallard with Duddington at its helm on its record-breaking pass. With this comes good news, though – another bumper 226-page issue of BRM and episode of BRM TV for your viewing pleasure. Available to download as a digital edition tomorrow, July 10, from pocketmags.com/BRM.

Get your August digital copy of BRM and receive a free digital issue of Narrow Gauge World (141) included!

cover.jpg.bf120e65436bac186118cd8add5cc6e6.jpg1728507442_NGWcover.jpg.200c40ebacb30b91ca7977d0540f715c.jpg

In this exciting summer issue we have the pleasure of presenting you with:

LAYOUTS

Boston Frodsham (P4)

1274100490_BostonFrodisham.jpg.4d57b4d2842764c4af076efd6c311814.jpg

Upham Market (OO)

1173497287_Uphammarket.jpg.f64e2ec2bdd12aed36daadf0135c7e0a.jpg

Mannin Middle (OOn3)

281135773_ManninMiddle.jpg.3d45f1c4abe4b5321b47fa0b1c1ebf8a.jpg

PRACTICAL

This issue brings you ideas to...

Make this construction diorama. Jamie Warne shares how...

1590101109_ConstructionSiteDiorama.jpg.fbd98412558f3ffcd6e35f5a03402d9b.jpg

Construct three different 16T mineral wagon kits for fleet variety. Phil Parker demonstrates...

1390995095_wagonpractical.jpg.daa6b853e305892a4cf1e34926c72ffb.jpg

How to install a DCC decoder on the commonly-used 'SPUD' motor bogie...

1427352614_Spudmotorunit.jpg.574158356542c7beceb7a2bd913e9b8e.jpg

PLUS

Modelling the railways of the Isle of Man. Andy York shares his cunning plan for bringing a slice of Manx railway action to your spare boxroom.

2027558655_IsleofMan.jpg.8ee30e4778a6df56a99389f4ff22dccc.jpg

Howard Smith investigates the changing face of DCC – using a smart phone to control your layout.

2038239670_ChangingfaceofDCC.jpg.82e3bbac8cefb2b0af0890528fae45d0.jpg

And, you share your modelling creations from lockdown...

lockdown.jpg.644062beb32bce3536abf8fd3d27841a.jpg

REVIEWS

Irish Railway Models Beer Keg Wagon (OO)

1852148344_IRMbeerwagon.jpg.dc1941a769c2df568aadc8b9dfe74255.jpg

Heljan revised Class 33 with headlight (OO)

705802295_HeljanClass33.jpg.b98dbd09c8dc518d41e1493da3fea0d7.jpg

Graham Farish Thompson coaches (N)

18067033_FarishThompson.jpg.e05730bf96746f03eaaa8c95f18dffa2.jpg

Digital edition readers will benefit (in addition to the free copy of NGW) from extra video and bonus layout photographic content, too:

extra1.jpg.40f36fecf16e6541c5b240ab7061bf1f.jpg

extra2.jpg.b9115d48b5d4940d6e1b12d52d5b4830.jpg

Plus, BRM TV this month gives you access to Boston Frosham (P4), building a narrow gauge skip wagon and constructing a multi-media pre-fabricated house kit.

All this and more in the August 2020 issue of BRM, available to download as a digital edition tomorrow, July 10, from pocketmags.com/BRM

Print copies hit shelves from July 16 – enjoy your monthly modelling fix, packed with ideas and inspiration.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Howard Smith said:

Andy York shares his cunning plan for bringing a slice of Manx railway action to your spare boxroom.

'Spare' boxroom??? Yeah we've all got one of those... :rolleyes: :fool:

For September's Next Great Idea, will my Butler need to vacate the servant's quarters?  :scratchhead: :dontknow: :jester:

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

32 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Hornby don't seem to be sending out samples for review to anyone. We have asked.

The August edition of Hornby Magazine has a review of the Hornby Large Prairie.

steve

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

'Spare' boxroom??? Yeah we've all got one of those... :rolleyes: :fool:

For September's Next Great Idea, will my Butler need to vacate the servant's quarters?  :scratchhead: :dontknow: :jester:

:lol: OK, point taken, but it's your job to convince the domestic authorities that it's spare ;)

H

• Funny 2

• Administrators
1 hour ago, steve1 said:

The August edition of Hornby Magazine has a review of the Hornby Large Prairie.

The clue might be in the name. It does seem odd that we've asked, but not received one. I know we aren't the only mag.

It's a shame as we'd like to bring you an independent review - but since we are having to shoe-horn content into the magazine already, it makes planning a lot easier!

• Like 1

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

It does seem odd that we've asked,

It's a bit frustrating when we were invited, at short notice, to list for the year ahead what we would need (rather than ask ad-hoc) and so far this year we've have had stuff we didn't list whilst not receiving what was requested. When it's been questioned before the answer has been that all stock was sold, that may be true ex-warehouse but not always the case for what's on stockists shelves. However they are not alone in offering variable reliability.

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure Rob will be happy to buy and lend you a sample. If not, who knows what might happen to the ANTB thread in the next software update ;)

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

18 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

I'm sure Rob will be happy to buy and lend you a sample. If not, who knows what might happen to the ANTB thread in the next software update ;)

More than happy to give my appraisal when I receive mine, hopefully in the next fortnight. Always good to give an honest opinion.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Just downloaded the digital version - another excellent edition full of useful articles.

Well done to everyone involved with its production - especially bearing in mind the tricky circumstances of late.

• Thanks 4

• Moderators

In this episode of BRM TV, join us for a tour of ‘Boston Frodsham’ where ideas taken from two real locations have fused to make the ideal port layout. Plus, continuing his rolling stock theme from this issue, Phil Parker assembles a narrow gauge skip, and Howard Smith builds a pre-fabricated house kit in record time!

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I really liked Andy's concept for the Isle of Man system as it's something I have in mind for a (still far off) retirement layout, in HOm.  A couple of ideas I hadn't thought of, so much thanks for that.

Best

Scott.

PS. I access through the Gold membership route, online.  I was trying to find the extra pictures of Upham.  I can watch the video, via the front cover, but can't see the extra photos.  Are they just available via the digital download, or have I missed it online?

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, scottystitch said:

. I access through the Gold membership route, online.  I was trying to find the extra pictures of Upham.  I can watch the video, via the front cover, but can't see the extra photos

I'll try and get those sorted for you in the Gold area next week.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

I'll try and get those sorted for you in the Gold area next week.

Actually, Andy, I apologise. I've just seen a thread in the Gold Lounge, relating to this.  I didn't realise the situation.

So, as you were. I thought it was something I was missing.

As far as I'm concerned, there is no hurry.

Best

Scott.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Me: "I hardly ever buy magazines because they are full of adverts for things I don't want, the editorial content is a re-hash of something I've read before and I can pick up old copies for 10p a time".

For some reason, this attitude has changed completely for the August issue of BRM which happens to have my first ever article. But where on earth do I buy this magazine? I have tried two branches of WHSmith, Morrisons, a huge Sainsburys, Tesco, Asda and two local newsagents. I can find the three other mainstream titles easily - RM, MR and HM - but not BRM. Is it now subscription only?

- Richard.

36 minutes ago, 47137 said:

For some reason, this attitude has changed completely for the August issue of BRM which happens to have my first ever article. But where on earth do I buy this magazine?

Wait for it to be in the shops, scheduled for the 16th (tomorrow), if you read earlier posts :jester:

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, steve1 said:

Did the mag not send you a contributer’s copy? I thought that was standard.

steve

Oh yes, they sent me a PDF. I'll buy a hard copy to send to someone, it will have more impact than an email!

17 minutes ago, Penlan said:

Wait for it to be in the shops, scheduled for the 16th (tomorrow), if you read earlier posts :jester:

Sorry :-)

- Richard.

• Administrators
On 11/07/2020 at 08:58, sjrixon said:

BRM TV..  You cut off the little train pulling the hoppers Phil had made.. Did it fall off the table?

That would be completely unprofessional and would never happen at all. Oh no. Not at all...

• Funny 4

• Administrators
1 hour ago, 47137 said:

For some reason, this attitude has changed completely for the August issue of BRM which happens to have my first ever article. But where on earth do I buy this magazine? I have tried two branches of WHSmith, Morrisons, a huge Sainsburys, Tesco, Asda and two local newsagents. I can find the three other mainstream titles easily - RM, MR and HM - but not BRM. Is it now subscription only?

BRM is in the shops on Thursday - In the current situation, please do not loiter by the racks insisting on autographing people's copies :dirol_mini:

1 hour ago, steve1 said:

Did the mag not send you a contributer’s copy? I thought that was standard.

We do - we just can't send them out until they are printed. The PDF of the article will have been for checking. To be fair, contributors copies go out through a different route the subscription copies and those in the shops, so it's not unknown for them to both beat publication, and take a few days afterwards to arrive. I'm wondering why my subs copy always seems to arrive after everyone elses...

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Another excellent edition, BRM seems to have improved considerably in the last few months. Well done everyone for putting together a great read in such difficult circumstances.

Of particular interest to me is Upham Market - it is the same size as my blue diesel layout,  but very different operationally.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1