Wills J39 rebuild

locomad2

During lockdown decided to bring forward some of my " retirement" projects, one was a part built Wills J39 white metal kit purchased from toy fair many years ago for so the tag said £10. Should have taken a pre photo, dreadful state, in two halves no motor, course Traing 0-6-0 chassis, no pickup. Result one days work, one working loco, excellent haulage capacity due to X04 motor and the weight, rough looking loco typical of freight locos, and rough on the track as well. Yet goes though code 100 points, pulled wheels out a bit, some extra work required repaint, or touch up, hand rails, front coupling etc

20200709_160055.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

If you are enjoying renovating the kit you could go further. As your loco is Southeastern Finecast do a Triang Hornby replacement chassis FC 202 (not the 200 which is for tank locos) this is easy to build, they also do a scale chassis now FC172 as they have revised the kit adding additional details including cab details (both chassis can be made so the motor does not intrude into the cab) Markit wheels are easy to fit, whilst a bit expensive. Scalelink do a cheaper version, the price of motors are coming down.

If its a Triang chassis it unscrews, you could fit new spacers or cut them down so a better motor placement could be obtained and or change the wheels by either fitting brass bushes so 1/8th axles could be used or Markits sell special axles for Triang chassis

I said about the new kit being revised, Southeastern Finecast are happy to sell replacement parts

http://www.sefinecast.co.uk/Contents.htm

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for reply, yes aware can do all of above but decided to place old traing chassis in with X04 motor, wheels have been pulled out a bit which makes them suitable for 100 code track. Weight certainly helps, very reliable, tough locomotive quite capable of 30 HD wagons with plain bearing also adds to North Easton region period fleet

20200716_013416.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I remember building one of those in about 1968! A chap from the MRC fitted Romford wheels for me and painted it. I don't know what happened to it, maybe sold or part-exchanged in the early 1970s.