Jump to content

SHerr

Tarbert, West Coast of Scotland

Recommended Posts

Tarbert (not Tarbet!) the real location is on Loch Fyne between Lochgilphead and Campbeltown.

 

The layout was initially conceived as an Ian Futers style small Moray Coast terminus but has grown somewhat from those plans, not to mention moved location by a few hundred miles.

 

Whilst planning the small terminus which was always intended to play second fiddle to my main layout, I decided that my main layout was actually too big (never heard that one before!) and was not getting anywhere but also the electrics were becoming too complicated for me as this is not my strong point, and the curved section of the layout was getting too many derailments. After a few planning sessions I became confident enough that within the loft I could get both a bigger and smaller layout.

 

I will focus here on the smaller layout which is going to be 12' by 2' widening at the station end.

 

whilst researching the era I think I read the Crinan thread too many times and decided to change fora number of reasons.

 

It is assumed that the Caledonian Railway stated building a line from Connel Ferry down to Campbeltown, however funding became stretched so it was eventually built in too stages terminating initially at Tarbert and then an extension on to Campbeltown. However Tarbert remained a terminus for what was little more than a glorified light railway extension.

 

The layout is set in 1966-68 timeframe so will allow both class 21 and 29 plus 20, 27 and occasional 24, 25 and 26 workings. The Campbeltown branch is worked in a similar vein to the Ballachulish or Killin branches with a loco and 1 or 2 coaches and occasional freight trips. Services north split and join from the main Callander and Oban line at Connel Ferry and take a 2 or 3 coach portion - I have assumed the C&O didn't close as early and is still bumbling on.

 

211462014_WestCoastTarbert4.png.e2a668d3d52837c2e0ba906f4ab037e7.png

 

 

The Track plan is inspired by Ballachulish and was probably built at a very similar time so is feasible.

 

There is a link to a nearby distillery and a quayside that still see's regular fish traffic although no longer transports the Whisky out by ship. I am assuming the Distillery branch feeds more than one location and is likely to be served by an Andrew Barclay tank.

 

Other general produce, Coal, Vans etc still run to the goods yard and Grain arrives for the distillery and barrels leave in open wagons.

 

I will hopefully post a few more early updates in the next few days

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking good!  You could also use dmu's on excursions, such as a variation of the Six Lochs  Railtours.  They were visitors to Oban during this period.

 

Roja

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, yes I did wonder about that. I've got some Limby 101 bodies and under frames so could probably cobble something together. I also thought about a Tarbert to Callander/Stirling with a DMU that fills in between the Glasgow trains.

 

There is an option for a Tarbert-Cambeltown DMU and could even run a trial Railbus service.

 

Enough opportunity for a bit of rule 1 for something that wasn't ever built.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, SHerr said:

It is assumed that the Caledonian Railway stated building a line from Connel Ferry down to Campbeltown

 

The was a scheme very early on in the building of the Callander and Oban line to run a route from near Dalmally to Ardrishaig just South of Lochgilphead.

It was independently promoted (as was the C&O which remained independent until grouping) but no doubt would have been operated by the Caledonian.

 

I seem to recall early proposals were put before Parliament. I've a document somewhere that describes the location of the terminus at Ardrishaig. I was toying with the idea of a model for a while.

 

Tarbert, being a wee jaunt further along the coast would be a reasonable  assumption for an extension.

  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

 

I believe a Cravens cl105 unit was trialled on the Oban sevice in the early sixties and sets were used on excursions, as were cl120 CrossCountry sets and cl126 in 3 car, and possibly full 6 car formations.  Whether cl107's ever made it there I'm not sure; maybe someone will know?  I don't think the 4-wheel rail buses were ever tried.  You'd have thought they were ideal for the Ballacuillish branch but it remained loco-hauled, laterly using cl27's, until closure on 26/03/1966.

 

Roja

  • Informative/Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, Tarbert! A favourite place to visit when we're in Argyll, always go to the shell beach at the end of Pier Road and have a seafood lunch in the Anchor restaurant on the front.

 

Sounds like a great idea, will be following with interest.

 

Al.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes its an outstanding area .  Last year I was in Appin so followed the Ballachulish branch through Creran  and up the shores of Loch Linnhe . It must have been outstanding when operating  . This one on the shores of Loch Fyne would have been equally beautiful

 

I have a pic in a book of a 120 at Oban and I know 101s made it there , including refurbished ones . Bradford Barton book " Diesels on the Scottish Region" shows 2 Class 107s on the Killin Branch doing the 6 Lochs Land Cruise . There are also pics of a Class 100 on the Land Cruise as well as 101s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Argos said:

The was a scheme very early on in the building of the Callander and Oban line to run a route from near Dalmally to Ardrishaig just South of Lochgilphead.

It was independently promoted (as was the C&O which remained independent until grouping) but no doubt would have been operated by the Caledonian.

There was a proposal to build standard gauge from the NB line at arrochar over the rest and be thankful to a pier near ardkinglas.

 

There were later narrow gauge proposals (2'6" and 3') to build from arrochar - inverary - campbeltown or dalmally - inverary - campbeltown. Either of which would've been spectacularly uneconomic!

 

It does of course make it quite plausible as a might have been. I believe many of the schemes were defeated by opposition from inverary castle - a change of heart from those quarters might have made it happen.

 

I've toyed with modelling something along the narrow gauge proposals a few times.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Legend said:

I have a pic in a book of a 120 at Oban and I know 101s made it there , including refurbished ones . Bradford Barton book " Diesels on the Scottish Region" shows 2 Class 107s on the Killin Branch doing the 6 Lochs Land Cruise . There are also pics of a Class 100 on the Land Cruise as well as 101s

 

There was a regular timetabled Class 120 service to Oban, more detail here:-

 

https://www.railcar.co.uk/type/class-120/operations-scotland

 

The six loch land cruises seems to have been made up of whatever DMUs were to hand, 120s, 105s and 101s being used, not seen the 107 so will have check that reference out thanks!

  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now the question is would they have built the railway line to Tarbert, for which there would be little Ferry  traffic, Or West Tarbert, for better access to the Hebridies fishing, and the bigger ferries to the Isles..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the info, some really good stuff. I’ve seen quite a few photos of class 120s in Oban, I do have a DC Kits model on my larger 80s layout and they do come up time to time so may be a longer term option.

 

In terms of Tarbert or West Tarbert you threw me to start as I had not thought of that, but looking at Google Earth I’m sticking with Tarbert for fishing traffic and a smaller car ferry that seems to run to Portavadie. That looks the more ‘industrial’ shipping centre and I’m assuming whisky went out that way in the past.


There is a smallish car ferry on the Langleys website that whilst European looks like it wouldn’t seem out of place hopping across the sea lochs (I’ve been on the Corran Ferry a few years ago and something like that would probably look interesting).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been building the baseboards over the last week and have loose laid out the track to test the general feel. I was concerned that when laid out it may feel a little crammed in but I am really pleased, plenty of space around the goods yard etc and general feel is as I was hoping.

 

The boards in the photos are sat on part of the old layout that I have now taken down tonight so starting to take shape. 

 

Track is Peco code 75, I've stuck to either long or Y turnouts and a couple of curved which again are fairly gentle curves. I quite like using Y and curved turnouts as I feel you get a more natural flow. Whilst most track designers will tell you all turn outs must be on straights, the Victorians certainly didn't!!

 

IMG_0187.jpeg.b6f7184402a8613bf6472e648d92658b.jpeg

 

 

IMG_0189.jpeg.ddf575daad7c088cfc37705d7fcb0279.jpeg

 

 

IMG_0193.jpeg.8aca4fec285fa395b532045e8bcf421b.jpeg

Distillery lines, the one nearest the building will disappear off scene behind another building with the outer line being on scene still. Short siding at front is old Engine shed but I may move this slightly back towards the yard/harbour.

 

IMG_0191.jpeg.5d3e5cff1241d2a92ca8aaff517c9779.jpeg

Yes I know the Grainflow hopper is the wrong era - just measuring! The goods shed will be replaced with something more suitable. Can't have any GWR stuff on here!!

 

IMG_0195.jpeg.5d87fe4d85be90c1022304f026a5cf42.jpeg

 

 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, SHerr said:

Thanks for all the info, some really good stuff. I’ve seen quite a few photos of class 120s in Oban, I do have a DC Kits model on my larger 80s layout and they do come up time to time so may be a longer term option.

 

In terms of Tarbert or West Tarbert you threw me to start as I had not thought of that, but looking at Google Earth I’m sticking with Tarbert for fishing traffic and a smaller car ferry that seems to run to Portavadie. That looks the more ‘industrial’ shipping centre and I’m assuming whisky went out that way in the past.


There is a smallish car ferry on the Langleys website that whilst European looks like it wouldn’t seem out of place hopping across the sea lochs (I’ve been on the Corran Ferry a few years ago and something like that would probably look interesting).


 

The  wee ferry I think is a relatively new route , maybe only in the last 30 years . The “Isle of Cumbrae” was a regular on it . A double ended fairly basic ferry . Before that time and if you wanted to pretend it had been there in the 60s it would have been one of Calmacs ubiquitous Island Class Ferries . they look a bit like an extended landing craft !  Tarbert was a Pier for Clyde steamers though .Glasgow or Greenock to Inveraray but that was really just a tourist route by that time . Maybe a Clyde Puffer like the Vital Spark in the harbour would suffice . It is true that although there’s really nothing there but the ferry terminal, West Loch Tarbert probably has the larger through traffic with the ferry to Islay and lots of whisky! 

Edited by Legend
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

3 hours ago, Legend said:


 

The  wee ferry I think is a relatively new route , maybe only in the last 30 years . The “Isle of Cumbrae” was a regular on it . A double ended fairly basic ferry . Before that time and if you wanted to pretend it had been there in the 60s it would have been one of Calmacs ubiquitous Island Class Ferries . they look a bit like an extended landing craft !  Tarbert was a Pier for Clyde steamers though .Glasgow or Greenock to Inveraray but that was really just a tourist route by that time . Maybe a Clyde Puffer like the Vital Spark in the harbour would suffice . It is true that although there’s really nothing there but the ferry terminal, West Loch Tarbert probably has the larger through traffic with the ferry to Islay and lots of whisky! 

 

Thanks, really useful info. The Car/rail ferry below is what I was wondering about, partly as it will actually fit! However, after looking more using your info it looks nothing like what would have operated so I may well drop the ferry idea and save me venturing into an area that I know nothing about. I will probably stick with a couple of trawlers which was the original plan.

 

It surprises me that given their popularity nobody does a kit of a Calmac, but I suppose there are too many differences and will be too big for most.

 

image.png.0264c2bdabb524ecc3c4db61bbaf5d1e.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ff_island_class_1.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheQ said:

ff_island_class_1.jpg

Thanks, I think that conclusively puts it in the too hard box, certainly a back burner until the layout is finished.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, SHerr said:

Thanks, I think that conclusively puts it in the too hard box, certainly a back burner until the layout is finished.

Airfix do a couple of different landing craft in 1/72.scale, one of them may well be a good starting point to make a caly mac ferry.. 

The only small caly mac ferries I've been on were on the Kyle Akin route to Skye very different,  though I've seen the little landing craft type in Oban, while catching the big ferry to the Outer Hebrides.. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TheQ said:

ff_island_class_1.jpg

This photo is of an Island class ferry, as used on the Oban - Lismore run, and, as such too late for your proposed timeline.  The direct Oban - Lismore service wasn't instigated until 1974, with the first of the class launched in 1972.  I haven't had a chance to look further, but I would also suggest that earlier ferries would be based on landing craft, as indeed were the Island class.  They had a wee turntable in the deck to allow cars to be turned so they could drive off.  It is entirely possible that, depending on the amount of vehicular traffic using the ferry  cars etc were craned onto the boat's deck!  This was a common occurence at the smaller ports and harbours.

 

Roja

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes the picture shown is at Largs on the run to Cumbrae Slip Millport . The Ferries before that were similar in concept but a bit more utilitarian , if you can believe that . They were called the Coruisk ( the one before the current ferry which is much larger) and Largs . But I wouldn’t get hung up on it . Use whatever you thinks useful . The double ended one you show  could be used but I’d take the overhead bridge down and place it on one side . But what you really need is a Clyde puffer  as seen in the Para Handy series of books . That would have been very typical at Tarbert . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'd forgotten about this type of ferry, which is still in use today beteween Glenelg and Skye.  I remember being on similar craft across Loch Leven at Ballacuilish and Kylescue in the far north west of Scotland way back in the 60's!

IMG_3451.JPG.d484cee297dba01edaae718ec43b5116.JPG

 

Roja

Edited by 37Oban
edit spelling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

In the late 1960s the regular vessel to visit Tarbert pier would be MacBrayne's LOCHFYNE which ran the route from Gourock to Ardrishaig from 1958-1969, known as "The Royal Route".

As far as I can remember no car ferries called at Tarbert at the time the layout would be set.

See attached picture of the LOCHFYNE.

Loch Fyne inbound for Rothesay 27 June 1964..jpg

Edited by Bon Accord
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 37Oban said:

I'd forgotten about this type of ferry, which is still in use today beteween Glenelg and Skye.  I remember being on similar craft across Loch Leven at Ballacuilish and Kylescue in the far north west of Scotland way back in the 60's!

IMG_3451.JPG.d484cee297dba01edaae718ec43b5116.JPG

 

Roja

 

A couple of years ago I was sitting at the Kylerhea Otter Haven watching this wallow backwards and forwards between Glenelg and Kylerhea. It was a warm sunny day and all looked very relaxed. I would imagine not quite so pleasant for most of the year!

 

Al.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Alister_G said:

 

A couple of years ago I was sitting at the Kylerhea Otter Haven watching this wallow backwards and forwards between Glenelg and Kylerhea. It was a warm sunny day and all looked very relaxed. I would imagine not quite so pleasant for most of the year!

 

Al.

Hi,

most tourists only see the golden days of summer!  I would think there are a lot of days during the year, let alone winter, when conditions are too bad for the ferry to sail!

 

Roja

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Alister_G said:

 

A couple of years ago I was sitting at the Kylerhea Otter Haven watching this wallow backwards and forwards between Glenelg and Kylerhea. It was a warm sunny day and all looked very relaxed. I would imagine not quite so pleasant for most of the year!

 

Al.

 

It's a summer-only service with the vessel laid up for the rest of the year so they don't have to worry about winter weather!

  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.