Irish loco kit build

• RMweb Gold

Hi well revisited a box to find 9 part built kits ! So got a wiggle on and added some work - one day might finish... Given IRMs ability to announce RTR models the A class will be good to do but the deed is done. The C / MV class and Hunslets will hopefully make a rtr in the future.  The sooner I finish etc. Irish_modelling__06072020_006.jpg.c92c75248798c5945c75b1244995b9cd.jpgIrish_modelling__06072020_005.jpg.a4f4e5660c4977a24c43c47459899f4e.jpgThe maroon C / MV is a flight of fancy but if CIE had sold on class earlier to support the Hunslets on the Enterprise you never know ... MIR transfers of ebay arrived yesterday so it will get a Hunslet look alike - which made me wonder what a 141 would look like in Maroon if history had been very different ..   

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Well got down with the transfers . Both are what if NIR had bought in Crossleys earlier and an alternative world where NIR were allowed to buy in 141s  over Hunslets and Crossleys. Somewhat unlikely given the era but easy to create in 4mm with a scrap cab.

Chassis on its way with blackbeetle and a coach bogie with pick up and the silver fox side frames , tank and couplings to sort along with as noted the merry chore of cutting clear plastic for windows.Irish_modelling__10072020_005.jpg.2eaf7954771cde89545e0e633ea89332.jpgIrish_modelling__10072020_009.jpg.298fa979c15eab3ecbb373166b20028c.jpg 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

HI Robert , really nice work . I too have oftern  thought what If  NIR railways had brought 141's . i like yr marron 141 cab  . i think that colour  looks great on them . tell you what  i bet they would have looked just as good in the NIR  blue as well . i do like the idea of the What IF's colour schemes on locos . can you imagine  if BR  had brought some  GM 141's-181's  and what they would  have looked like in BR green or the BR blue .  food for thought . cheers kevin . 

• Like 1

I I just been browse ing on the IRM forum  and seen your 141 NIR 113 cab  looks just the job , i did have a silver fox C class a couple of yrs back  but it didnt run that good on the chassi  it came with but may try another one at some point i have heard that a later Hornby class 73 might be a better bet . hope you doint mind i slipped a pic of my c class in on my oid cement layout . 

DSCF1209.JPG

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Kevo,

Great to see another C at work, rest and play- nicely detailed scene as well. Yes the Hornby 73 replacement motor bogie is just the job - In fact any of the ex Lima  rengined by Hornby motor bogies of an 8` 6" wheel base will suit but might have wheels of  wrong diameter - the VEP is another good choice. Lenons of Cardiff have been mentioned (other suppliers are available!)   A Mk 1 coach bogie for the other end especially one with built in lighting pickups  would make the other end a doddle and easy enough to clear up  side details to glue on the thin Silver fox resin sides.   The Silver fox fuel tank faces can be glued to a plasticard box and it filled with lead/ car weights to add weight and I have used Hornby  loco weights ex class 25 - I think Peters Spares for a source. fitted into a plasticard chassis will give enough weight for traction given new stock is very free running. 

I have to admit to having made an 071 in N guage and painting in large logo BR livery !! caused a few raised eyebrows on the office layout, but it looked good on 25 MGRs.

Viz the NIR maroon 181 cab it might well grow if I ever come across a spares and repairs  on auction sites , the blue well we know what a 111 looks like, it would have to be the pale french blue NIR first used on 111 with the square logo as used on the Hunslets to get proportions right.   BR was tied to home grown as the part of support home industry as part of post war economics and funnily American overseas political polices. Thus it was private operator FY who pushed the boat and the rest is history.      

Robert

• Like 1

On 10/07/2020 at 19:28, Robert Shrives said:

Both are what if NIR had bought in Crossleys earlier and an alternative world where NIR were allowed to buy in 141s  over Hunslets and Crossleys. Somewhat unlikely given the era but easy to create in 4mm with a scrap cab.

Wow! Amazing!

A Crossley-engined engine in UTA green or lined black! Now THAT would be a sight!

Edited by jhb171achil

Cheers Robert for  all the info on the  C  class i must admit  they are my most liked irish loco  . your N gauge   071 class in large logo BR must have looked a treat i can just picture it in my mind . talking of what if  livery's with 141 class in mind i did see that shape ways do some 141 boddy shells doint think they were that expesive either . might make a good bassis for some what if paint jobs 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Kevo,

That is a good idea. with body swapping it would allow some fun.   Just been adding transfers to two NIR locos - rub down logo transfers but both reacted to acrylic varnish on the 101. Testors and Humbrol spray caused damage. So will test on 111 with a touch of precision spirit based and see what happens.  The other transfers are waterslide so no hassles.  Will try to find some good light to take pics later. 

Robert     

Hi  Robert . i am sorry to hear you have had trouble with the transfers it can be a big disapointment  with all the work you have put in . it can  be a bit of a mine field  when it comes to paint and varnish i have had some work wrecked in the past just by mixing different products . will look forward to your pics  . cheers kev

• RMweb Gold

Hi Well luckily the NIR transfers have survived overnight  and onside has small crinkles  so after  NIR rubdown logos if anybody can help !  Well a couple of pics taken before it started to a rain in Brum..   the 101 needs end details and glazing plus etched frames so a while to go. the 111 has now got ready some MM blue handrails so small drill required. Also a slot cutting into beam at one end for coupler other end to get pipes and screw coupling.

Some orange behind 121 and a A pack! lockdown_models__25072020_005.jpg.fb219bf1df853612872f92a806bb21d6.jpglockdown_models__25072020_004.jpg.0700cd8e4e141a91c5aac35f668e8b61.jpglockdown_models__25072020_004.jpg.0700cd8e4e141a91c5aac35f668e8b61.jpg   

• Like 4

Hi Robert

That's a pity on the rub-down transfer!

I don't have experience with rub-down transfers on models- in my early architectural days long long ago Letraset was used and sealed with a fixative, which the odd time wrinkles the letters, we would burnish it down with the back of a teaspoon and touch it up with an ink drafting pen!

The same idea could be used here, and that the logo is very straight lined one could mask up to the edges, then rub out the wrinkles with a fibre pen, and then brush paint over the transfer to touch up the logo??

Eoin

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Eoin,

Thanks for that - Indeed it one did lay back down as varnish dried and the one the Testors  dullcoat attacked looks on as I stopped the brush action once I saw a white streak, this has buffed out ok ish and a little weathering will cover the sin this time.  I really would like to get another small set to go on an MV that sits waiting attention.

Robert 

On 25/07/2020 at 07:50, Robert Shrives said:

Kevo,

That is a good idea. with body swapping it would allow some fun.   Just been adding transfers to two NIR locos - rub down logo transfers but both reacted to acrylic varnish on the 101. Testors and Humbrol spray caused damage. So will test on 111 with a touch of precision spirit based and see what happens.  The other transfers are waterslide so no hassles.  Will try to find some good light to take pics later. 

Robert     

I could not recommend any solvent-based varnish Precision directly over any form of transfer.

The only truly inert sealant for transfers that I can recommend is Johnsons Klear floor lacquer; see

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robert Shrives said:

Hi Yes my normally go to cover but had seen testors dull coat mentioned for transfers and had used on the waterslide transfers on the loco.   John - thanks for the vid.

Robert  

I use Testors Dullcote - but only after using Klear first.

John Isherwood.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Maroon MV what if now has 110 on the end and yellow V stripes, glazed a bit of handrail painting and nearly there.   

277751710_Irishmodels021020005.jpg.8ed7761aad793df4f6169d686a8f7ded.jpg

MV 105 mow has correctly sized  logo and the "0" started for the numbers, spotted broken buffer so will have to fix that... Chassis on the way so not too long.   

1640852717_Irishmodels021020004.jpg.9a31f4ec7bee45292a955460f16442bc.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chassis is a home brew plasticard item with Beetle and Bachmann bogie with pickups, I have some led lights as well so there is a bit of PCB tagstrip on chassis - weights are a pair of class 25 Hornby weights and a cast fuel tank casting from IRM forum member.  Side frames are SF resin ones but now have some cast ones as well so second chassis will be slightly heavier.  Couplings will be kaydeeno 5 on chassis, but yet to fit  all to paint as well.  

Robert 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Kirley, I will "pop the bonnet" on the MV and put up a photo later.  Yes MV is a SF body in a "ifawazza" livery. It does require the UTA Benson report to be edited creatively ( current gov policy?!) to keep rail freight, and a precursor to 110 and 201 class actions of getting add on orders - might say then the Hunslets would never have happened and MV and C class push pull became the mainstay of a "low speed train" alternative for the Enterprise.  Equally the mock up on the 141 nose of a UTA  is a little bit of warped history but I need to cobble together bits to make a shell . I numbered it one up in the 181 series as numbers readily available off sheets .  I fancy a red  hand crest on the front. It would be too avant garde  to have a large "in your face" logo  on the bodyside. - Imagine 4 foot high "UTA " emblazoned on the loco... 

Robert        

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

body off pics 

Two Hornby 25 weights, replica cabs IIRC 60 and 80 thou plasticard , tank from Eion of IRM - also solid metal .

Second pic shows adapted Bachmann Mk1 coach body with pick ups added - easier now if the new MK2 coach bogies come as spares ( big dream but you never know.) Bogie end trimmed to clear coupling mount- Kaydee No5 is the plan.  The chassis is a sliding fit in one MV and tight in the other  but double sided tape should secure ok, or some small cutouts and clips could be arranged.   

1416304723_MVchassis101020001.jpg.321a4265ebe649341f03d84a49fa850e.jpg1957909299_MVchassis101020004.jpg.6687e8e1aeee48e84807d29616b7ad01.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 10:04, Robert Shrives said:

Kirley, I will "pop the bonnet" on the MV and put up a photo later.  Yes MV is a SF body in a "ifawazza" livery. It does require the UTA Benson report to be edited creatively ( current gov policy?!) to keep rail freight, and a precursor to 110 and 201 class actions of getting add on orders - might say then the Hunslets would never have happened and MV and C class push pull became the mainstay of a "low speed train" alternative for the Enterprise.  Equally the mock up on the 141 nose of a UTA  is a little bit of warped history but I need to cobble together bits to make a shell . I numbered it one up in the 181 series as numbers readily available off sheets .  I fancy a red  hand crest on the front. It would be too avant garde  to have a large "in your face" logo  on the bodyside. - Imagine 4 foot high "UTA " emblazoned on the loco... 

Robert        

There are two "might have beens" in relation to the UTA and NIR and diesels.

The UTA initially painted diesel (shunters) black with the same straw and red lining as steam engines, but ex-BCDR No. 28 ended up black. Had they bought 141s in the early '60s, it is likely that these would have entered traffic in plain black, but possibly with the yellow and black "wasp stripes" and the later coat or arms. A 141 thus decorated would, in my opinion, look very well. It might, on the other hand, be plain black with just the stripes and crest.  jhb171Senior was, in his UTA days, unaware of any great interest in the management in any sort of new image, other than the half-hearted attempt to have the very short-lived "regional" liveries in the late '60s.

Had they bought some in 1970, into early NIR days, it is pretty obvious they would have been maroon like the Hunslets, and blue after the early 80s.

Regarding the ex-CIE locos, the reason they were really bought was in advance of a potential lignite mine near Crumlin on the Antrim branch, and the possibility of the De Lorean cars (remember them?) at Dunmurry being railed from the factory direct to Larne port. These operations would have had all six of them fully in use, and the possibility of a couple still kickin' about today.

Regarding the blue livery, it puzzles me that to this day, the three locos that NIR DOES have, still retain the NIR logo, and have had it renewed, despite this disappearing from all other purposes 24 years ago! This is akin to newly-painted "flying snails" being painted on things in 1986 - say, on brand-new Mk. 3 carriages, or a BCDR crest being applied to a 70 class railcar's repaint in 1972!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1