Irish loco kit build

• RMweb Gold

JHB thanks for comments viz the MV - explains the purchase quite a foot in the unknown for NIR to have been that proactive at that time, perhaps the last hurrah for somebody.   I guess the De Loreans   would have been in covered car carriers.  I can see in my minds eye brown vans in a rake with De Lorean markings behind an MV ! Perhaps even containerised for security. 

I do wonder what would have happened if rather than the Hunslets if BR engineering had got the deal instead and rather than just building the three shells had offered a NIR version of say a 25 with eth - It makes the lima 33 in CIE just possible. The Hymeks were being sidelined at the time but I guess the final drives precluded any sort of cheap and cheerful regauge  but in the way class 14 shunters ended up with the NCB it does make for a totally unsubstantiated what ifa idea... UTA hydraulics on MK2 enterprise...

Robert       

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My recollections from my time in NIR.

Regarding DeLorean NIR refused to quote as the full capital cost was going to be on the railway company with zero guarantee of ongoing business.  Although criticised by government for this decision, it turned out to be the correct one for NIR.

There were other proposed traffics, none of which materialised (eg lignite, waste to Magheramorne) for which the proposal was to purchase more 111 class.  

The C class were purchased for PW maintenance work following an approach by Irish Rail to see if NIR would be interested in purchasing the best two locos before they were all scrapped. Following discussions about spare parts, and faults with the first two locos, NIR ended up with six for the price of two! 

You get what you pay for and there was no way life expired C class would have been trusted to the lignite or waste trains had those proposals proceeded.

Edited by Colin_McLeod
typo
  • Informative/Useful 3

Thanks Colin. Most interesting. The various  C class lurking around York Road in the 80s did brighten up my school commute.  Thankfully I had a few years of 70 and 80 class travel before those awful 450s came in......IIRC didn’t C224 have a bent frame or similar ? It sat around for ages still in orange and black.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Irish Padre said:

Thanks Colin. Most interesting. The various  C class lurking around York Road in the 80s did brighten up my school commute.  Thankfully I had a few years of 70 and 80 class travel before those awful 450s came in......IIRC didn’t C224 have a bent frame or similar ? It sat around for ages still in orange and black.

I agree, the 70s and 80s were much nicer trains.  I recall my Dad taking me to Derry/Londonderry for a day trip on the then "new trains".  I fell in love with the 70 class then.

C224 did indeed have a bent frame, but was also a good source of spare parts.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Robert Shrives said:

Erixtar, That looks very good -   It looks like you have added lights - how did you do that as I was considering the same. Good to best practice  and then copy !

Thanks

Robert   

Cheers mate.

yes it has full independant lighting, dcc sound, two speakers ect.

the bottom lights are 2mm tower leds, with 3mm flat tops for the top light.

also has cab lights either end.

its a Massive amount of wiring but all worth it!

D714157F-16B5-4AED-88B6-BC13350DF362.jpeg

C623B706-8217-423F-87BC-1ECDA9730AFA.jpeg

3F14DD53-D16B-4B6D-90EE-B8D222AC88AD.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3