THE SEE IT/MAKE IT CHALLENGE: ROUND FIVE

• Moderators

Do you have what it takes to create realistic-looking track? If so, this weathering round should challenge your observational skills of patina and grime on the railway.

Round Five of the See it/Make it Challenge sees us head for the paints and weathering powders. Track is an important feature on model railways and railway dioramas, but do we always give it the attention to detail it deserves?

Now's your chance, and in this latest installment of the challenge, we'd like to see your best efforts at track weathering. From the oily deposits, soot, ash and cinders of the steam era, to brake dust, spilt oil and grease of the diesel era, we'd like to see it all.

main.jpg.fa5dcc5e4d76b10a27877e63b0fd95f1.jpg

A subtle mixture of aged wood, rust, brake dust and grease on the track beneath Mk. 1 BTK 34562 at Highley on May 30, 1994. Not the easiest of shades to blend on a model...

2.jpg.fb42899408ff03cea59c71fbda0f1513.jpg

Looking along a rake of stock at Bridgnorth on May 1, 1994, deposits of oil on the track can be seen where locomotives are momentarily halted in the station.

Let's see your weathered track. We'll take into consideration its location (shed, siding, main line, branch line or station) too, as not all track weathers in the same manner. One lucky entrant who we feel has produced the most realistic looking section of track will be sent this model of Hornby (R3804) 4900 Class, No. 5972 Hogwarts Castle locomotive in Harry Potter livery and packaging, worth £109.99!

loco.jpg.35afc06178269a32681de839e76059ed.jpg

Read more here

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Some time ago, I attempted to build a diesel depot next to a main line. The depot entrance was via a trailing point that meant that every loco had to enter the depot via a headshunt, so that of course got dirty. the track leading to the headshunt had a trail of oil deposits whilst the mainline was relatively clean, except for the place where locos had to wait before entering or leaving the depot. Will this do?

IMGP0867.JPG.7755f19f9bf0c3d0a5705904dbdceae0.JPG

Edited by 96701

• RMweb Premium

A day off work today, the house to myself, the sun shining and no wind blowing - so inspired by this challenge I split my G scale layout into its 8 baseboards and took one at a time outside and made a start at weathering the track.

90BF30DA-16F9-4F1A-8A02-E4805B2CE982.jpeg.4ff751143211a866c1aaf92e9fd0c181.jpeg

After five hours of airbrushing the job was done.  If nothing else, it proved that I can get the layout out of the house. Perhaps one day it might be good enough to take to an exhibition.

F3043BF2-90C1-4F38-BDF7-149B570AFA8D.jpeg.8cca84a88e604a71b53a60c5bdc92897.jpeg

• Like 1

How about a bit of tracklifting - when I converted 'Whithorn' from EM to 00?  The scrapman got there before me -  and before I was able to take the photograph of the trackwork in-situ!  (AM)

track lifted at Whithorn.jpg

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Howard, 

Just a question,  as this is a See it/Make it challenge, should previously laid & weathered lengths of track be admissible as competition entries ?

Wot he sed. 

Rob. 

• Agree 1

• Moderators
On 13/07/2020 at 17:58, Stubby47 said:

Howard, 

Just a question,  as this is a See it/Make it challenge, should previously laid & weathered lengths of track be admissible as competition entries ?

Hi Stu,

Origninally, the concept was to make what you saw in the photograph, but owing to people's different tastes/on-going projects etc. that was widened to encompass previously-made items. The weeds/steps rounds being examples. That said, previously-made items must be relevant to the topic, and be to as good a standard as possible in the interests of challenging one's modelling abilities (plus for a chance at winning a neat prize!). Besides, unless a section of a 'known' layout which has been photographed, we've no means of prooving whether a section of track was weathered just for this round of the challenge, or last year. Old track has its cons too – dust being the main one which springs to mind. We'll look favourably on those who've weathered something just for this round, however.

So, in essence, all forms of weathered track whether on a layout or diorama, old or new are acceptable – let's see them all!

H

• Moderators
On 11/07/2020 at 00:45, 96701 said:

Some time ago, I attempted to build a diesel depot next to a main line. The depot entrance was via a trailing point that meant that every loco had to enter the depot via a headshunt, so that of course got dirty. the track leading to the headshunt had a trail of oil deposits whilst the mainline was relatively clean, except for the place where locos had to wait before entering or leaving the depot. Will this do?

IMGP0867.JPG.ff707c36331105eb74b7595e57fcba0c.JPG

Hi Phil, looks good, but don't forget to enter at brm@warnersgroup.co.uk with a few photographs!

H

• Moderators
On 12/07/2020 at 18:15, TomE said:

Plenty of opportunity for different types of weathered track down at Ropley. 
Tom. 

This looks good Tom, perhaps you could send a selection of closer photographs of a section of track you feel shows its best angle to brm@warnersgroup.co.uk , please?

H

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, Howard Smith said:

Hi Stu,

Origninally, the concept was to make what you saw in the photograph, but owing to people's different tastes/on-going projects etc. that was widened to encompass previously-made items. The weeds/steps rounds being examples. That said, previously-made items must be relevant to the topic, and be to as good a standard as possible in the interests of challenging one's modelling abilities (plus for a chance at winning a neat prize!). Besides, unless a section of a 'known' layout which has been photographed, we've no means of prooving whether a section of track was weathered just for this round of the challenge, or last year. Old track has its cons too – dust being the main one which springs to mind. We'll look favourably on those who've weathered something just for this round, however.

So, in essence, all forms of weathered track whether on a layout or diorama, old or new are acceptable – let's see them all!

H

Hi Howard,

I accept that each round's subject might not appeal to every possible entrant, due to time or how it might fit with their current project/s.

Having a build thread for those who do want to make the item especially for the round would help show new modelling instead of previously built items.

Totally my opinion, but I think your early concept of 'This is a picture, replicate it in a model' was much more interesting than 'show us something you might have made which resembles what this round's topic is'.

Like the Cakebox challenges, the former got people actually modelling, which is (I believe) the whole premise of the sub-forum.

Stu

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Hi Howard,

I accept that each round's subject might not appeal to every possible entrant, due to time or how it might fit with their current project/s.

Having a build thread for those who do want to make the item especially for the round would help show new modelling instead of previously built items.

Totally my opinion, but I think your early concept of 'This is a picture, replicate it in a model' was much more interesting than 'show us something you might have made which resembles what this round's topic is'.

Like the Cakebox challenges, the former got people actually modelling, which is (I believe) the whole premise of the sub-forum.

Stu

Couldn't agree more, but the number of entries to those earlier rounds was somewhat limited. The sharing the modelling aspect as you suggest works well too, just like the steps in the last round which was interesting to see develop. In the interests of more entires, I chose track for this round on the basis that every layout needs some if it's to work and modelling better-looking track is something that I think many modellers would want to achieve. 

H

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Howard Smith said:

Hi Phil, looks good, but don't forget to enter at brm@warnersgroup.co.uk with a few photographs!

H

I will not be entering largely because I have no more photographs, and I dismantled the layout because the baseboard was not sufficiently robust. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• Moderators
18 hours ago, 96701 said:

I will not be entering largely because I have no more photographs, and I dismantled the layout because the baseboard was not sufficiently robust. 

Oh no - that's a shame. Is there a Mk.2 version on the cards, then? Did you manage to salvage anything for re-use?

H

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Howard Smith said:

Oh no - that's a shame. Is there a Mk.2 version on the cards, then? Did you manage to salvage anything for re-use?

H

Yes, another version with better baseboards and no Peco track on them either.

• RMweb Gold

Peco track is fine if tinkered with.....

This is a 'work in progress' view of my last layout. 

Rob. 

20200314_221236-01.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• Moderators
16 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

Two track shots from me...

rps20180206_104545.jpg.cb6122d019cc5b6ef0a521d6e819e2ac.jpg

rps20180205_154222.jpg.ca8b8f8d572e5fb3f221c7f6762535b9.jpg

Still a work in progress.

Looks great Chris, don't forget to send an email to brm@warnersgroup.co.uk, with a brief description of the work you've carried out, please.

H

• Like 2

• Moderators
6 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

Cheers Howard. You can probably tell by the lateness of the entry email that I nearly forgot to send the entry. Glad I remembered!

No problem Chris, if you PM me your address, I'll get your shiny new prize in the post to you.

H

• Thanks 1