William Youngers Demountable Tank Wagon - Colour

JeremyC

I am scratch building a model of this de-mountable tank wagon that was built for William Youngers, Brewers, Edinburgh.

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brdemountable/h2d9b7c02#h2e71ac23

Because the photographs I can find either do not include the tank or are in black and white I am not certain what colour the tank was painted. My research suggests either red or blue as both colours seem to have been used by Youngers at various times. Does anyone have any information that would be of help in determining the likely colour? 

Edited by JeremyC

Hi Jeremy, I've asked my beer archive friends on Twitter and there seems to be people that know people that might know. I'd have thought it was brown personally but blue is certainly plausible.

• 1 month later...
On 11/07/2020 at 23:21, 60B said:

According to George Douglas of the Scottish Brewing Archive Association, he reckons it was dark blue with white writing. 

Thanks for asking about this and for the information.

demount-tk.jpg.5e492405e08f8fc903f5dbad542b1701.jpg

From the photograph of the prototype it appears that while the tank was sloped (I assume to aid drainage) the lettering was horizontal. This means that from some angles the lettering looks squint (honest its not). The lettering is made up from individual letters, but I've used off-white as I had the transfers in stock. (It's also possible the blue I used should have been a little darker.)

• Like 4