Where is this?

highpeakman

• RMweb Gold

I have an old BR Brochure about modernisation of the railways issued in 1959 but I have always been curious as to where the photograph on the front cover was taken. Can anyone identify the station shown please?

I suspect that it will be an easy question for many people who are familiar with something that I am not, but what I suspect is, the West Coast route possibly not too far from London? 

Thanks in advance.

all_along_the_line.jpg

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Bletchley???

<talkaboutbletchley.files.wordpress.com/2015/10/gsm-p-001-aerial-bletchley-station-1938.jpg> 

gsm-p-001-aerial-bletchley-station-1938.

Photo is taken from the signal box 

Andi

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

20 years, more or less, between the OP's photo and Andi's aerial photo, but it looks substantially the same. I think change was imminent, though, as the flyover to serve the important new marshalling yard was due quite soon. 40 years after the OP's photo I was required to do an office scheme there, creating a suite of offices including a Control. By that time almost nothing of the 1958 photo existed, and I would never have recognised it. 

• Like 4

Interesting. An LMS diesel, hauling what looks, to my untutored eye, possibly LMS stock. Not exactly cutting edge stuff with which to illustrate a publication on modernisation ^_^

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, PatB said:

Interesting. An LMS diesel, hauling what looks, to my untutored eye, possibly LMS stock. Not exactly cutting edge stuff with which to illustrate a publication on modernisation ^_^

Maybe trying to make a case that more modernization is needed?  

1 hour ago, PatB said:

Looks like it's only the leading Stanier coach which isn't a Mk1 - but by 1959 they might have been able to find a more 'modern' loco* if they'd waited a bit.

* not sure where the earliest EE type 4s were operating - maybe better known as class 40s 

20 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Looks like it's only the leading Stanier coach which isn't a Mk1 - but by 1959 they might have been able to find a more 'modern' loco* if they'd waited a bit.

* not sure where the earliest EE type 4s were operating - maybe better known as class 40s 

The first 10 were on the ER, mainly Liverpool St to Norwich; and also some ECML services to S. Yorkshire. 

Edited by jonny777

In the late 50s early 60s the trick was always to wait at the end of the platform in the direction of travel.

As well as a seat, you could find a "strengthener" - an absolute delight, out of Region, with some very nostalgic carriage pictures and interior upholstery (arm rests or none?) and carriage detailing.

Plus you could hear and feel the loco at work.

Its quite astonishing how isolated from the town this large station was in 1959.  Looks like it was designed around off he shelf Triang railway components, straight platforms etc. Only things which gives away it is not a model is being a black and white photo, the sidings are stuffed full of wagons and only one train is in sight.

No. That would depend on the date of the photo. D210 onwards were delivered to Willesden/Crewe/Carlisle at the rate of about one per week from May 1959. 

Also D1 to D10 spent some time at Camden in their early years, and worked the WCML passenger services.  

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Dagworth said:

<talkaboutbletchley.files.wordpress.com/2015/10/gsm-p-001-aerial-bletchley-station-1938.jpg> 

Photo is taken from the signal box 

Andi

That's it! Thank you.

And to every else who contributed comments and confirmation.

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, steve66 said:

good afternoon i think it maybe stafford.

Stafford around the same time:

1920px-Stafford_D1_'Scafell_Pike',_the_f

14 April 1960 with the first "Peak".

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 5