Powering Points and Lights

Sir TophamHatt

Hello! 

My layout is DCC but I use a simple DC solution to power accessories - namely points and now signals.

I read / watched that using the 16v output from a Hornby controller is a way to do this. This is the sort of controller I am using:

spacer.png

I'm not using the track output, just the accessory output.

The accessory output runs to a CDU and then around my layout as an accessory bus.

I run seep points / toggle switches from it, which works fine.

Now I've come to add a signal, the signal doesn't work. Using a control board from Heathcote Electronics but that shouldn't matter too much and perhaps is adding complication to the matter.

I'm wondering if the CDU is limiting / stopping power to the bus so the point motors don't get burnt out. After all, the CDU provides the quick burst of high power then slowly draws a charge again.

Does this mean the signal won't have any power?

I've made another post about a different power supply as the Hornby unit doesn't hold the wires that well. But I guess this next question will apply to the Hornby unit or a new power supply.

Can I run the accessory line from the controller to a terminal block that allows me to run off a few different lines? Say, one that would go to the CDU, then to point motors or another from the terminal block to power the signals?

Don't know if it'll go all weird or not though?

Cheers

How many amps does this unit put out, around 1 A ? Is that enough for all the work you are asking it to do.

Ant chance of a wiring diagram to give us an idea off how you have set it up.

How far around the  bus bar is the signal. How is the signal moved or lit, a solenoid or is it just LEDs?

I'll draw a diagram tomorrow as I'm in bed now :lol: (should have drawn one earlier!).

The point motors are wired to momentary switches so the CDU releases enough power to throw the point. I have to wait maybe 3 or 4 seconds before I can throw another point.

The signal is quite far (no more than 4m from the power supply), but beyond that are point motors which throw fine.

It's an Eckon LED signal. Uses an infrared detector to change it, which it can handle 12v - 16v, AC or DC.

IMG_20200711_065106.jpg.27366d629bbcc5f16c40c34cb5b7e3b8.jpg

Number 1 is what I have although off those bus wires, there's now signals.

Number 2 is what I'm wondering if I can do.

17 hours ago, Grovenor said:

Just take power for the signal direct from the Hornby unit, bypassing the CDU. The CDU output is only suitable for solenoids.

What dial do I turn the Hornby controller up to?

3 hours ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

IMG_20200711_065106.jpg.27366d629bbcc5f16c40c34cb5b7e3b8.jpg

Number 1 is what I have although off those bus wires, there's now signals.

Number 2 is what I'm wondering if I can do.

What dial do I turn the Hornby controller up to?

Yes, number 2 is what you should do.

Why should you turn the controller up? In your first post you said you are using the accessory output not the track output, so dialling it up won't make any difference.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Grovenor said:

Yes, number 2 is what you should do.

Why should you turn the controller up? In your first post you said you are using the accessory output not the track output, so dialling it up won't make any difference.

Ahh, I thought you meant use the track output from the controller! Ha ha. 

So it's okay to split the controller output (using a terminal block) and stick the CDU on one side for points, then use the other side for signals?

You have a few points on a CDU, the CDU charges up taking power after each point operation. LED signals take a few milliamps. Your power supply will do the job.You may need a bigger one if you greatly expand the layout.

21 hours ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Ahh, I thought you meant use the track output from the controller! Ha ha. 

So it's okay to split the controller output (using a terminal block) and stick the CDU on one side for points, then use the other side for signals?

Yes its OK, just as you drew it.

• Like 1

If I am reading the outputs on the Hornby controller correctly then it has 2 outputs

1 0-12VDC to control trains 

2 16vAC for accessory's eg point motors 

If you are using Lights/ signals that need a DC input then you will need a rectifier between the accessory output & the device

Looking at the controller it shows a 16VAC input, this suggests that there is a separate Plug pack (wallwart, power supply etc, a rose by any other name------------ ) for the controller

If this is the case then why connect your CDU to the controller when it can be connected directly to the plug pack(the output of the plug pack should be 16VAC 

Some form of overload protection between the plugpack & first terminal strip would be advisable (1Amp fuse etc)

2139076688_cdulights.png.e564fbf97df748bca9d60aa4c9d6fabe.png

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I don't quite understand your number 1 diagram. Is "TB" where you have Thor signals connected?

If so, then the CDU output is wired directly to the LED. I don't know how much power a CDU supplied, but it is certainly more than an LED signal needs. As the signal won't work, does than mean the CDU has burned it out?

On 18/07/2020 at 19:28, ikcdab said:

I don't quite understand your number 1 diagram. Is "TB" where you have Thor signals connected?

If so, then the CDU output is wired directly to the LED. I don't know how much power a CDU supplied, but it is certainly more than an LED signal needs. As the signal won't work, does than mean the CDU has burned it out?

Seems not - they just wouldn't work.

Have got a separate power supply now so I don't need to split the one I have for points.

Will be testing tomorrow so I'll see if any LEDs have burned out but pretty certain they were fine when I tested using another method.