How not to solder, American style.

1 hour ago, meil said:

Hear how they pronounce Oregano - I took me ages to work out what they were talking about.

In Italy (I don't know about surrounding countries languages), Oregano is pronounced...

O (as in orange) - ree - gan - O (as in Opel or Hi Ho silver).

Oree-gan-o

Three minutes in and I just couldn't take any more soddering - and I think they need to take a good look at their track laying first given all the wobbling in the opening credits ............ :(

• Agree 4

20 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

In Italy (I don't know about surrounding countries languages), Oregano is pronounced...

Oree-gan-o

Precisely unfortunately those over the pond thinks it is pronounced or-egg-no

28 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

That's because it's spelled that way in Italian: "origano" which would, as you say, be pronounced with the "i" sounding like "ee".  But it's not the same word.  (If it were spelled the same way in Italian as in English then the Italian pronunciation of the "e" would be like a French "é" as in "rosé".  But it's not.  Can't blame the 'Mericans for that.)

I think what we're looking at here is a simple difference between UK English and American English pronunciation of the same word - specifically, where the stress is applied.  It's not got a lot to do with the name of the herb in other languages, and how those words might be pronounced in those languages.

Edited by ejstubbs

34 minutes ago, ejstubbs said:

That's because it's spelled that way in Italian: "origano" which would, as you say, be pronounced with the "i" sounding like "ee".  But it's not the same word.  (If it were spelled the same way in Italian as in English then the Italian pronunciation of the "e" would be like a French "é" as in "rosé".  But it's not.  Can't blame the 'Mericans for that.)

I think what we're looking at here is a simple difference between UK English and American English pronunciation of the same word - specifically, where the stress is applied.  It's not got a lot to do with the name of the herb in other languages, and how those words might be pronounced in those languages.

They pronounce Herbs as Erbs here in Canada (Yanks do as well).

Makes me cringe.

I live in Newfoundland and here they drop "H's" and the add them to words that don't have them!

You struggle to Hunderstand.:mellow:

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, lofty1966 said:

They pronounce Herbs as Erbs here in Canada (Yanks do as well).

Makes me cringe.

I live in Newfoundland and here they drop "H's" and the add them to words that don't have them!

You struggle to Hunderstand.:mellow:

It helps differentiates between thyme and ‘Mary J’ - thyme in your brownies aren’t going to have the same effect. :) 

4 hours ago, Philou said:

and I think they need to take a good look at their track laying first given all the wobbling in the opening credits ............ :(

For a lot of secondary American track that's quite prototypical :blum: ....and it can, of course, get much worse...

000043766016.Jpeg.793fe7fb6967fcf92e34ae6bdb512f49.Jpeg

But hey, don't let me get in the way of a good old British "let's laugh at Johnny Foreigner" Thread.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

The theory and practice (practise) on RSU's is particularly mind boggling!

Understatement of the year. I'm glad I didn't see this before getting my RSU.

• Like 1

Great video, it certainly made me feel good about my soldering.  I must dig out my Weller soldering gun   It also opened my eyes re DCC and how the US modellers solder rail joiners instead of using buses.  Now that has to be well worth considering this side of the pond, as is using N gauge rail joiners on HO (Code 70) track for a tighter fit.

That track in F-UnitMad's post looks pretty much like some of mine if you get the same camera angle, but its the real thing so we should be modelling it.  The problem being that RTR locos don't have any suspension and can't cope with such irregularities, especially C-C diesels  (That's 'merican for Co-Co)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DavidCBroad said:

how the US modellers solder rail joiners instead of using buses. 

Not sure that is such a good idea this side of the Pond; they will be far more likely to have air conditioning and much more constant temperatures in their rooms. I know I'd get some problems with my track in my loft if I soldered it all together, due to the temperature fluctuations.

It's also worth noting that even in the larger scales like O & above there isn't really a market in the USA for etched brass kits as there is here. R-T-R brass, yes - but not kits you solder yourself, so there's much less exposure to the art across the hobby, and soldering electrical connections is as far as many US modellers are likely to get.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

The main thing I found disturbing/worrying/frightening/amusing is the fact that the presenter is a well respected "expert" in the good ole USofA.  He's done many things in the past in a similar vein of bodgery/ignorance so god knows what horrors are hiding under the average American layout. It just shows how far advanced we are as a general comparison.

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

I already knew they couldn't pronounce solder as when I was work we used these:

https://paceworldwide.com/sx-100-sodr-x-tractor-sensatemp

They even spell it "sodr", how they pronounce it.:)

Actually very useful bits of kit.

It was effectively a 60W soldering iron with a hollow bit and a foot activated motorised extraction pump.

Ideal for unsoldering DIL chips and similar.

2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

The main thing I found disturbing/worrying/frightening/amusing is the fact that the presenter is a well respected "expert" in the good ole USofA.  He's done many things in the past in a similar vein of bodgery/ignorance so god knows what horrors are hiding under the average American layout. It just shows how far advanced we are as a general comparison.

Mike.

Well if you want to really feel smug then check out this video from an expert on decoder instalation....

I'm sure there are loads of gullible U.S. modellers that have followed this process... not!! :sarcastichand:  :rolleyes: :fool:

• Funny 2

2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I don't think it's fair to say he's typical. There are many examples of superb work, scenic work and wiring included, on YouTube and online blogs.

Ken Patterson does tend to rush through various processes when demonstrating techniques for the What's Neat YouTube video magazine.

Maybe that's a typical style of presenting over there. Full on full speed to cram it all in.

What he is good at though, is that he's a very good photographer of model railroads and some of the episodes of this monthly magazine, contain quite informative content.

As for claiming some sort of superiority in British modelling?

Don't make me laugh !

There's plenty of bodge it work here as well.

Alongside good to excellent modelling, many a typical UK exhibition usually consists of 50% mediocre, poor or substandard work. Even some total rubbish.

(disclaimer: you might justifiably dismiss my own efforts as rubbish)

Having said that, from my limited knowledge of US exhibitions, which is admittedly only gleaned from the internet, they appear to be very poor for the standard of layouts, in comparison with the exhibition circuit in the UK

It's the home and club layouts where the real action appears to be...and there are plenty of stunning, high quality pieces of work in evidence.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

28 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

Well if you want to really feel smug then check out this video from an expert on decoder instalation....

I'm sure there are loads of gullible U.S. modellers that have followed this process... not!! :sarcastichand:  :rolleyes: :fool:

Big Al Mayo.

I haven't watched any of his sometimes entertaining and amusing videos for a long while.

This video was just a bit of fun and he does add captions at the end.

"If you actually follow my steps in this video, YOU ARE A DUMB ASS AND DESERVE THE END RESULTS"

"My video is the result of clever editing, so please DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME"

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Having said that, from my limited knowledge of US exhibitions, which is admittedly only gleaned from the internet, they appear to be very poor for the standard of layouts, in comparison with the exhibition circuit in the UK

Hi,

I don't bother going to 'exhibitions' over here any more. Frankly they are absolutely dreadful.

The 'Great American Train Show' trundles through Colorado once a year.

Maybe 6 layouts at the most. One or two wouldn't look out of place at a UK exhibition, but it's best not to talk about the rest.

The rest of the 'show' is a glorified swapmeet with 50 or 60 traders all selling the same old, bloody awful, second hand Lionel tat, that is only fit for the bin highly desirable vintage Lionel trains.

Maybe one or two traders selling new stuff.

Regards,

John P

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Ken Patterson does tend to rush through various processes when demonstrating techniques for the What's Neat YouTube video magazine.

Maybe that's a typical style of presenting over there. Full on full speed to cram it all in.

What he is good at though, is that he's a very good photographer of model railroads and some of the episodes of this monthly magazine, contain quite informative content.

It's not the gung ho 150 miles an hour presentation, as you say, that seems to be the American way, but delivering duff information because of ignorance/laziness at any speed is extremely poor form IMHO.

Mike.

• Agree 1