Railway Mania Shop - New THUNDERBOLT Poster

Corbs

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Asterix2012 said:

Would the csp chassis for the avonside b3 be an option for this kit?

the wheels on the B3 are a different size and appearance compared to the the B4 but these can presumably be swapped. I don't know about the wheel base, to me the B3 looks shorter in which case the B4 body would look too large however if anyone can provide me with the wheelbase of a B3 I can compare that to what was measured on portbury and let you know how close it is

Without having a CSP chassis in front of me I couldn't say whether or not it would be suitable unfortunately.

But CSP do have a square tank avonside 0-6-0ST in their range, depending upon the motor fitted that should be able to fit under the body of this kit with some surgery to one or the other.

Edited by Adam FW

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Gordon A said:

How accurate a model is the Avonside body print?

Has any adjustment been made to ensure that the Hornby chassis is a good fit?

Gordon A

Hiya Gordon,

The model was designed using measurements taken from 'Portbury' but we did have to make some compromises, here is the list:

-Larger wheels (Peckett B2 has 3ft 7in wheels although I have found that the 3ft 1in wheels from the W4 can fit)
-Wheelbase is offset rather than equal
-Buffers have been lowered slightly to counter the extra height from the wheels
-Overall height has been reduced slightly to avoid having a big gap between the Avonside tanks
and the Peckett boiler - the 'boiler' is part of the chassis casting and the choice was between having a large gap, a strangely stretched saddle tank, an infill piece, and losing a bit of height, so we went with that option.

-The running board is slightly thicker to add strength.

The length of the loco is as per the prototype.

Here's a pic of the diagram of 'Edwin Hulse' to show the layout.

1903080165_Screenshot2020-07-29at08_53_25.png.df8db87e64bcd88120abea69fc6296ab.png

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, darrel said:

What a brilliant yet simple idea the rule one gadget is. Why has nobody thought of this before? 

Anyway order placed.

Thanks Darrel, posted yours out today!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Here’s some pictures of my finished portbury kit, the last picture includes an additional alfloc water treatment pump that I designed and printed as used on the loco during its working life with the PBA

B0C300D7-4423-4C85-963F-AED1520F61BE.jpeg.00b87932cf66ef7b801ba7c6922cde2b.jpeg625D707B-B7B5-4F4A-BE22-8B9067D44677.jpeg.a7c43f44447c25b3cca09537682babc5.jpegEBDD3C25-03FE-479D-A956-EE05154897EA.jpeg.38fd80e49a51acee2df463a2989987b1.jpeg98E396BB-17DE-4F02-B001-875A84C3D158.jpeg.92b09eabe8b2671b562535bc9c0d6483.jpeg9B0AD8D3-6800-4400-8DA3-7F41655CE1F0.jpeg.a64708df871d9b4351bf647706bb9a28.jpeg

theres more pictures and a build blog on my workbench 

Edited by Adam FW
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
On 11/07/2020 at 13:42, truffy said:

Just as I start to dip my toes into EM :rolleyes:

Seriously though, looks nice. Good luck!

On 11/07/2020 at 14:54, Enterprisingwestern said:

I've started the moaning early!

Yes, other gauges would be handy.

Mike.

You asked, we listened!

The EM gauge RULE ONE is now available here!

All the same features as the OO gauge version but with the back to back and track gauge checker changed to EM standards as laid out by the EM gauge society.

392826679_RuleOneEM-1.jpg.9bfa2a1b65c842c47cb48562b33df2ae.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hurrah! The Avonside B4 (late) kits are now available.
3 variants are on offer:

Snowdown Colliery 'St. Dunstan'
https://www.railwaymania.net/…/avonside-b4-bodykit-st-dunst…

Snowdown Colliery 'St. Thomas'
https://www.railwaymania.net/…/avonside-b4-bodykit-st-thomas

Mersey Docks and Harbour Board No.3
https://www.railwaymania.net/shop/avonside-b4-bodykit-mdhb3

All are designed to fit the Hornby Peckett B2 chassis with no modification.
£49.50 each including UK postage.

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I am SO EXCITED that the Avonside B4 kit is in the latest edition of British Railway Modelling Magazine in a build article alongside the Hardys Hobbies 16" Bagnall!

Thanks to Phil Parker for doing the article and build, hope you enjoyed it!

1656078443_Manicloco.jpg.2ebf76743a0eda7b85e77bcf31ca7214.jpg.eb8c1851cdd7afa515d4dc80f21d21e8.jpg

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 08/09/2020 at 13:44, Corbs said:

Hi folks, thanks to James Hilton we can now offer the ISC No.2 kit with appropriate transfers! These are based on the livery worn by the loco in its late industrial career.

https://www.railwaymania.net/shop/avonside-b4-bodykit-isc2-edwin-hulse

I made a video to show how they go on, and the results:

really good to see your model progress again corbs (though I am biased)

you just need to pull your finger out now and get me some lining for my St Thomas build, he’s waiting eagerly :biggrin_mini2:

0672EA9B-8215-40C2-B6A6-CEDC13941716.jpeg.0df0da0eac25d584ab8d9814b92fa272.jpeg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
On 09/09/2020 at 20:08, Adam FW said:

you just need to pull your finger out now and get me some lining for my St Thomas build, he’s waiting eagerly :biggrin_mini2:

Well I pulled my finger out eventually and did do a lining set for St. Thomas. 

IN FACT both locos are now available with lining decal sets, whoop! Just tick the option in the drop-down menu on the shop.

B4ThomasPromo1-1a.jpg

B4ThomasPromo1-2.jpg

B4ThomasPromo1-3.jpg

B4ThomasPromo1-4.jpg

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A bit of news - The B4 kits have a shout-out in Railway Modeller this month! Hopefully with a full build to follow. I am over the moon with how the magazines have received the kits so far.

121109162_626619627965745_4478644607730196726_n.jpg.e3cd649c20420f7372f5cb49524e8f06.jpg

A bit of admin:

26 Avonside kits sold to date, and from those kit sales...

£61 raised for Portbury (6 sold)

£31 raised for Edwin Hulse (3 sold)

St. Dunstan has been the most popular, followed by Portbury and then St. Thomas.

St. Dunstan is also now available as classmate 'St. Martin'. Also a Snowdown Colliery loco, 'St. Martin' had a distinctive home made stovepipe chimney later in her career. She did not survive into preservation as the water in her tanks froze one winter night and caused extensive damage.
Adam has replicated this in model form, the replacement chimney slots in the normal place.

This is available by selecting the drop down on the purchase page.

B4StMartin1-1.png?format=1500w

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes the 0-4-0ST is on the list to do, we have the Lambton Austerity cabs and the Staveley Avonsides coming soon, then there are 2 other loco kits in the works where the CAD is either complete or nearly there :) more coming soon!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi folks,

In our quest to cover nearly every variant of the Avonside B4 :lol: Adam has waved his CAD wand and we have a new version available!

Click the pic to go to the sale page.

B4Staveley1-1a.jpg.8cbe5adbed87a97983c63b6c685f63cc.jpg

Staveley Ironworks operated 3 members of the B4 class, ‘Hartington’ (1869 of 1921), ‘Devonshire’ (1889 of 1921) and ‘No.3 Avonside’ (1919 of 1924).

The ironworks modified the locos to have ‘dogged’ smokebox doors rather than the traditional 2-handle ‘dart’ type. Some locos had both dart and dogs for a short time, which is possible with this kit as the hole for the dart can be drilled. The locos had dumb buffers and double bufferbeams with two sets of drawgear.

Ironstone and Steelworks locos led a hard life and these three locos were specified with reinforced frames, noticeable at the base of the smokebox.

The kit differs from our other ‘square tank’ B4s in having the reinforced frames, early-style sandboxes, large dumb buffers (instead of conventional buffers), a deeper bufferbeam with slot for an NEM coupling, taller chimney and dome, and a flush-riveted 3 part saddle tank.

Strictly speaking this model represents ‘Hartington’ as it had 6 evenly spaced ‘dogs’ on the smokebox door, whereas the others had 5, but the difference is very small.

All 3 locos were later transferred to work elsewhere, losing their dumb buffers and lower coupling hooks in favour of normal sprung buffers. ‘No.3 Avonside’ was renamed ‘Cranford’ when it took over the duties and name from withdrawn classmate No.1918 of 1923. It is this loco which is now preserved with the Appleby Frodingham Railway Preservation Society at Scunthorpe Steelworks. The loco has been modified in preservation with a flush sided tank, ‘dart’ handled smokebox door, and rebuilt cab. It has lost its double bufferbeams but retained its second name, ‘Cranford’. As of 2020 it is the only operating late-style B4.

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

There’s some more images of the staveley kit in my workbench thread. I printed, built, painted and weathered it very quickly over the course of a weekend with most of the time spent waiting for spray paint to dry and I forgot to take photos during the build, sorry

One feature I’ve put into the kit is that part of the lower beam is attached to the dumb buffer print, this means that without the dumb buffers the buffer beam matches the profile of Avonside no3 when it had conventional buffers fitted, meaning it can easily be modelled without having to break out a Dremal you just need to fit a different set of buffers and glue them into the holes provided, what could be easier :)

Edited by Adam FW
  • Like 2

• Corbs changed the title to Railway Mania Shop - NCB Lambton 'Austerity' Cabs now available and more...
  • RMweb Gold

New items now available in the shop!

NCB LAMBTON 'Austerity' Cab and Injectors

lambton-EFE-1-1a.jpg?format=2500w

A 3D-printed cab to fit the popular Hunslet ‘Austerity’ or J94 locomotives and convert it to represent the cut down locos used by the NCB on the Lambton system. The ex-Lambton, Hetton and Joicey Collieries railway had some restricted clearances which necessitated these modifications.

The Lambton locos also differed from the standard ‘Austerity’ by having injectors mounted on the running board in front of the cab. 

Five Austerities were so treated, Nos. 7, 51, 58, 59, 60

This cab closely represents 7, 52, 58 and 60 in industrial use.

They were all subtly different but 59 was the ‘odd one out’ with a sliding hatch. 60 has been preserved although the cab has been much modified in later life.

This kit also includes two 3D printed injectors with .7mm wire  to represent pipework, as well as 0.45mm wire for the cab handrails and relevant mounting nuts/bolts.

There are 2 variants available, one for the older Hornby (ex-Dapol) model, and one for the newer EFE Rail (ex-DJM) model. Both include nuts and bolts to mount them securely to the footplate.

This cab differs from others available in that it represents the NCB rather than the preserved condition, by having the smaller cab opening.

Design by Paul Metcalfe and Adam White.

£14.50 posted within the UK

Click here to go to the sale page

• Like 4

• Corbs changed the title to Railway Mania Shop - Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0DM Body Kit, NCB Lambton 'Austerity' Cabs, and more...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello!

Adam has been weaving his magic again and not only do we have the Lambton Austerity cabs back in stock after they sold out, but a new loco body kit as well!

1887835809_HCDieselShopButton4a.jpg.b6358b948abf1b5efc68d9d1fbbab7c6.jpg

Click here to go to the shop page for this kit

This kit requires a Bachmann 03 DCC-Ready chassis (NOT the old Mainline version)

4 variants are currently available:

BR Class D2/7

1537788991_HCD27Button4.jpg.09267ae130016ced1596b1b50a4e91ac.jpg

Rounded cab roof, 2 side windows, ‘bunker’, 3 flat doors each side of the short hood, no headlight, oval buffers.

Industrial Variant 1

1470121874_HCSHPRButton4.jpg.ea80900c639c77736f5b8403f3f30942.jpg

Peaked cab roof, 1 side window, louvred doors, short hood, single central headlight, round buffers.

Main Components:

Cab, hood, running board and bufferbeams

Separately fitted 3D printed accessories included:

Buffers x 4, Sandboxes x 2, Horn, Toolboxes, Cab interior/Motor Cover, Chimney, Air tanks x 2

Separately fitted accessories included:

-Handrail knobs (WD short type) x 28, .45mm Handrail Wire, Whitemetal Dummy Coupling Hooks x 2, 10BA countersunk bolts and nuts x 2

Free postage to the UK

Please note this kit will require a Bachmann (NOT Mainline) 03 Chassis (6-pin version, DCC sound version TBC)

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Interesting...

Will this fit straight on to the factory sound-fitted 03 chassis, or will the speaker at one and, and the decoder and its PCB at the other cause a problem?

Will a version of the print be available that has the buffer beams without the cut out, for those of us who use proper 3-links? I wouldn't fancy having to fill that hole and sand the join when there are rivet heads so close to it.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Ruston said:

Interesting...

Will this fit straight on to the factory sound-fitted 03 chassis, or will the speaker at one and, and the decoder and its PCB at the other cause a problem?

Will a version of the print be available that has the buffer beams without the cut out, for those of us who use proper 3-links? I wouldn't fancy having to fill that hole and sand the join when there are rivet heads so close to it.

Heya Dave,

I'm going to get one of the brand new chassis to check fitment, in the meantime I can say it'll definitely fit the 6-pin version (have updated the listing on the site to reflect this).

On the NEXT18 chassis, looks like the motor is shorter so there is more room in the cab for the speaker. What I need to check is if the PCB fits under the gearbox cover. If not, the hood is taller so the PCB should be able to be relocated fairly easily, but I just want to check and make sure.

With the bufferbeams, it's something we've talked about a fair bit, we might consider doing some as a custom order but the wait time would be a lot longer (e.g. 2 months from now) as would need to get some other things out the way first.

• Informative/Useful 1