Bachmann Class 121 DMU Sound Chip

SE4 Box

Have just been delivered my Bachmann class 121 DMU. Not sure there is a suitable sound decoder for this one yet. Has anyone fitted one to it yet please? I have been listening to the ones on you tube etc but most sound pretty bad "tinny". to my ears

Cannot hear on start up, engine start from No1 then No 2. Just one engine start and run up? Can any one advise please.

Thanks. 

22 minutes ago, SE4 Box said:

Have just been delivered my Bachmann class 121 DMU. Not sure there is a suitable sound decoder for this one yet. Has anyone fitted one to it yet please? I have been listening to the ones on you tube etc but most sound pretty bad "tinny". to my ears

Cannot hear on start up, engine start from No1 then No 2. Just one engine start and run up? Can any one advise please.

Thanks. 

The speakers in these models are a disaster (along with the Class 117 & Class 158) The ESU Decoders come with a SQ Speaker and a kit, when built up and sealed (I Could do this for you) it should be put into the same hole as the factory fitted speaker goes, but with the Shiny speaker housing facing downwards, the two wires then sondered onto the two pads in the circuit board that the old speaker used to touch. (This option will not take long to do and costs nothing extra)  Of course larger speakers can be fitted in the brake van area.

See: https://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=253_68&product_id=296

We of course could fit the sound in for you, as I am doing 5 as we speak.    Charlie

• Informative/Useful 1

Thanks for the response Charlie. My first question is what is your cost please? I am an Ex mechanical & electrical engineer and can fit them myself. what is the cost for the sound chip and speaker on there own please.

Mike

On 11/07/2020 at 20:11, SE4 Box said:

Thanks for the response Charlie. My first question is what is your cost please? I am an Ex mechanical & electrical engineer and can fit them myself. what is the cost for the sound chip and speaker on there own please.

Mike

£120.00 including the Standard Speaker.     Charlie

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/07/2020 at 12:16, SE4 Box said:

Thanks. 

Legoman Biffo has done a new recording of a Leyland engine, ideal for dmu's. He has posted it on you tube.

Edited by ayrmrg
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Richard Croft said:

Here's an alternative video of the new Legomanbiffo 121, I focus more on the actual running rather than the full function list as this has already been demonstrated in Legomanbiffo's video

Richard

On 24/07/2020 at 23:49, charliepetty said:

Charlie / Richard

Do I understand that there are two versions of the new sound Legomanbiffo DMU project? One with the gear changes occurring automatically and the other with an F-key controlled manual gear change?

I don't know if it's me but I can't hear any gear changes in the YouTube videos posted so far! Is it possible to put up a video which includes the gear changes, please? 

Many thanks in anticipation.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, s182ggu said:

Charlie / Richard

Do I understand that there are two versions of the new sound Legomanbiffo DMU project? One with the gear changes occurring automatically and the other with an F-key controlled manual gear change?

I don't know if it's me but I can't hear any gear changes in the YouTube videos posted so far! Is it possible to put up a video which includes the gear changes, please? 

Many thanks in anticipation.

The Class 121 Project we (Legomanbiffo) has had for the last 7 years has recently been replaced by our 'ALL NEW' Sound file, this has been in development for some time awaiting the Bachmann DMU's, this project is suitable for DMU's with a 'Rasping Exhaust' IE Class 104, 105, 115, 116, 117, 121 & 122.

The 'NEW' Sounds have Manual Gear Change on F7, so just like a real unit, when changing gear, you Press F7, this does not change instantly, as the rev's have to drop off, when the rev's are off the gear change operates,  This can be done  for Gears 2 ,3 & 4 as well.

We have also programmed in another style of gear change, this operates like this:

On starting put on full power, then when say at about 15mph, drop the controller to zero, then put it up to full power again after a short pause, you can repeat this for multiple gear changes.

This is our 'NEW' Leyland Engined DMU Sound project, and includes many novel features, only available from Legomanbiffo.

The function list is below:

F0 Lights On/Off.

F1 Engines On.(To start 2nd engine-notch up then notch down ).        CV259=128

F2 Playable High Note Horn.                                                                        CV435=128                   F3 Playable Low Note Horn.                                                                          CV443=128                      F4 Buffer Up if moving (Coupling, sound when stopped).                               CV283=90               F5 Playable Brake Application (when moving), Vacuum Dump (when stationery).  CV291=120

F 6 Random Passengers Doors slamming (Multiple Door Slams).                               CV299=100

F 7 Engine Rev Up (when stationery) Gear change (when moving).                            

F 8 Toilet Flush & Discharge (Not in Stations!!!!).                                                            CV315=70

F 9 Variable Speed Flange/Wheel Squeal (When Moving)                                             CV323=100

F10 Guards/Despatch Whistle.                                                                                          CV331=60

F11 Guard to Driver 'Right of Way signal' Buzzer, plus optional reply.                      CV339=40

F12 Cab Window Wipers.                                                                                                   CV347=60

F13 Auxiliary Heater.                                                                                                          CV355=70

F14 Handbrake ON Warning buzzer.                                                                              CV363=40

F15 Fire Bell/Buzzer (Fire test before starting).                                                             CV371=50

F16 Handbrake Apply (On).                                                                                              CV379=110

F17 Handbrake Release (Off).                                                                                          CV387=110

F18Speed dependant, flash enabled warning Detonators (3 Bang Stop).               CV395=128

F19 Directional Cab Light (With Autofade).                                                                   CV427=128 

F20 AWS Warning Siren/Bell.                                                                                           CV411=50

F21 Destination Blind.                                                                                                        

F22 Front Lights Dimmer

Also the decoder comes with a Sugarcube Speaker & Housing Kit, this should be built up and fully sealed (If not it can be crackly) and used in conjunction with the pre-fitted one, this will make the sound far better (Louder). Obviously better small 8Ohm speakers are on the website that will easily fit in the Brake Van.

Hope this helps.     Charlie.

PPS If you want one, see:  https://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=68&product_id=296

Edited by charliepetty
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Charlie / Richard

Many thanks for your replies.

As Charlie comments, it was certainly the 'rasping exhaust' that I remember from the Cravens units particularly as the reached max revs before a gear change. The full decoder function list is also a great help.

Richard - thanks for the video. I can certainly pick out the change from 1st to 2nd gear but the unit seemed to be going at a bit of an unrealistic speed when the 2nd to 3rd change happened - if I heard it right!

Anyway, thanks both for your responses.

• Like 1

The change of gears is upto the user, you can do 50 in 1st before changing if you like!!

On a real unit of course we have 1st (upto 15mph) 2nd (upto 30mph ish) 3rd (upto 40-45 ish) 4th to full speed.

Saying that I can remember Class 101 up to Bredbury struggling to get out of second gear.

Charlie 

Edited by charliepetty
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 months later...

I have just taken delivery on the new LMB file on a Plux22 chip and it sounds really good. I note that some of the sounds are CV changeable by the user to give a different sound of the same 'item'. 

Does anyone know what CVs and Values i'd have to change to try out these other sounds? (using a lokprogrammer.)

Just in case the info hasn't made it to the website yet, the configurable sounds are as follows. This also applies to my new Bachmann 117 chip;

SV1 / CV155 to 0 for high horn type A

SV1 / CV155 to 1 for high horn type B

SV1 / CV155 to 2 for high horn type C

SV1 / CV155 to 3 for high horn type D

SV2 / CV156 to 0 for high horn type A

SV2 / CV156 to 1 for high horn type B

SV2 / CV156 to 2 for high horn type C

SV2 / CV156 to 3 for high horn type D

Set SV3 / CV157 to 0 for firebell type A

Set SV3 / CV157 to 1 for fire buzzer

Set SV3 / CV157 to 2 for firebell type B

Set SV4 / CV158 to 0 for handbrake type A

Set SV4 / CV158 to 1 for handbrake type B

Set SV5 / CV159 to 0 for AWS type A

Set SV5 / CV159 to 1 for AWS type B

Set SV5 / CV159 to 2 for AWS type C

Set SV6 / CV160 to 0 for handbrake warning buzzer type A

Set SV6 / CV160 to 1 for handbrake warning buzzer type B

Hope this helps,

Bif

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 03/10/2020 at 20:28, legomanbiffo said:

Just in case the info hasn't made it to the website yet, the configurable sounds are as follows. This also applies to my new Bachmann 117 chip;

SV1 / CV155 to 0 for high horn type A

SV1 / CV155 to 1 for high horn type B

SV1 / CV155 to 2 for high horn type C

SV1 / CV155 to 3 for high horn type D

SV2 / CV156 to 0 for high horn type A

SV2 / CV156 to 1 for high horn type B

SV2 / CV156 to 2 for high horn type C

SV2 / CV156 to 3 for high horn type D

Set SV3 / CV157 to 0 for firebell type A

Set SV3 / CV157 to 1 for fire buzzer

Set SV3 / CV157 to 2 for firebell type B

Set SV4 / CV158 to 0 for handbrake type A

Set SV4 / CV158 to 1 for handbrake type B

Set SV5 / CV159 to 0 for AWS type A

Set SV5 / CV159 to 1 for AWS type B

Set SV5 / CV159 to 2 for AWS type C

Set SV6 / CV160 to 0 for handbrake warning buzzer type A

Set SV6 / CV160 to 1 for handbrake warning buzzer type B

Hope this helps,

Bif

Hi Bif,

I purchased one of your new Class 121/117 chips from Charlie a few months ago, and I would like to try a couple of different horns as per above;  before I change these CV's do I need to set an index CV first like you do when adjusting lights etc?  Thanks.  Vivian.

On 21/04/2021 at 21:08, cravensdmufan said:

Hi Bif,

I purchased one of your new Class 121/117 chips from Charlie a few months ago, and I would like to try a couple of different horns as per above;  before I change these CV's do I need to set an index CV first like you do when adjusting lights etc?  Thanks.  Vivian.

No you do not, just change the CV.    All the Functions etc, are listed below:     Charlie

This is our 'NEW' Leyland Engined DMU Sound project, and includes many novel features, only available from Legomanbiffo.

We suggest you make a note of the function keys by printing off this page, Saves looking later!!!.

Function Key Layout for ESU/LOKSOUND V5 Sound Decoders.

F 0 Lights On/Off.

F 1 Engines On/Off. ( To start second engine - notch up then notch down ).                   CV259=128

F 2 Playable High Note Horn.                                                                                                    CV435=128

F 3 Playable Low Note Horn.                                                                                                     CV443=128

F 4 Buffering Up when moving (Coupling, sound when stationary).                                  CV283=90

F 5 Playable Brake Application (when moving), Vacuum Dump (when stationery).        CV291=120

F 6 Random Passengers Doors slamming (Multiple Door Slams).                                     CV299=100

F 7 Engine Rev Up (when stationery) Gear change (when moving).                            

F 8 Toilet Flush & Discharge (Not in Stations!!!!).                                                                  CV315=70

F 9 Variable Speed Flange/Wheel Squeal (When Moving)                                                  CV323=100

F10 Guards/Despatch Whistle.                                                                                               CV331=60

F11 Guard to Driver 'Right of Way signal' Buzzer, plus optional reply.                            CV339=40

F12 Cab Window Wipers.                                                                                                         CV347=60

F13 Auxiliary Heater.                                                                                                                CV355=70

F14 Handbrake ON Warning buzzer.                                                                                    CV363=40

F15 Fire Bell/Buzzer (Fire test before starting).                                                                   CV371=50

F16 Handbrake Apply (On).                                                                                                     CV379=110

F17 Handbrake Release (Off).                                                                                                CV387=110

F18Speed dependant, flash enabled warning Detonators (3 Bang Stop).                     CV395=128

F19 Directional Cab Light (With Autofade).                                                                         CV427=128 

F20 AWS Warning Siren/Bell.                                                                                                 CV411=50

F21 Destination Blind.                                                                                                        

F22 Front Lights Dimmer

We also offer on this project, user changeable features:
CV156 to 0 for high horn type A
CV156 to 1 for high horn type B
CV156 to 2 for high horn type C
CV156 to 3 for high horn type D
CV157 to 0 for firebell type A
CV157 to 1 for fire buzzer
CV157 to 2 for firebell type B
CV158 to 0 for handbrake type A
CV158 to 1 for handbrake type B
CV159 to 0 for AWS type A
CV159 to 1 for AWS type B
CV159 to 2 for AWS type C
CV160 to 0 for handbrake warning buzzer type A
CV160 to 1 for handbrake warning buzzer type B 
CV155 to 0 for high horn type A
CV155 to 1 for high horn type B
CV155 to 2 for high horn type C
CV155 to 3 for high horn type D

DRIVING TIPS ON THIS LEGOMANBIFFO PROJECT:

You can change up through the gears manually. You can stay in the same gear for as long as you like and the revs will steady at the constant speed you have selected on the throttle. The easiest way to gear change is to reduce the throttle to a low value, and once the revs have started to drop off, increase the throttle to select the next gear you want. There are several gears, selected by how far up your initial throttle movement is. Once the engine has set off in the gear you want, re-adjust the throttle for the actual speed you want. It's much harder to explain than to do in practice, but once you realise how it works you can drive it how you like, in a very realistic manner. The highest speed setting (the one featured in the video) has an automatic gear change part-way through, but you don't have to use that at all if you don't want to, and you can do 'normal' gear changes before or after it.  

Edited by charliepetty
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, cravensdmufan said:

Hi Bif,

No you don’t, just set CV155 or whatever to give the desired horn etc, there’s no need to touch the indexing CV’s.

• Thanks 1