BBC News: Railway modeller making 1:76 houses

flockandroll

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

I don't understand why people want to buy models rather than create them, especially buildings

Perhaps because not everybody has the skills, time or inclination to build them?

Al.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, corneliuslundie said:

On the models, I don't understand why people want to buy models rather than create them, especially buildings, but there is evidently a thriving market for those produced by the major manufacturers. 

Railway modelling is a (very) broad church of Abilities and Interests and as @Alister_G notes, time, skills and inclination are all contributory factors in the grabbag that we all bring to the hobby.  So some may turn out a wonderful loco, highly detailed rolling stock or build fantastic track but make buildings that make others wince.  Its not possible to do everything.  Also, its worth remembering that layouts that do everything to a high standard are usually the work of a team who bring different skillsets to the whole.

So I think its most understandable that people will buy in the things that they can't do and concentrate on the things they can.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, corneliuslundie said:

I don't understand why people want to buy models rather than create them, especially buildings

I would imagine it’s no different than some who buy ready to run locos and rolling stock instead of building kits or making them from scratch

It all boils down to skill levels and confidence

It's only recently I’ve gained the confidence to build wagon kits and to have a go at kit bash buildings

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I understand the points made. I started with plastic wagon kits and worked up from there; and have still not finished a loco kit, though I have done EM conversions. In fact I often find scratch building wagons easier than getting a kit to go together well. But the thing with buildings is that unless it is something like LNWR station structures or signal boxes they are very individual. I like my buildings to shout the place where the layout is located, and that means building them myself or commissioning - and I have never felt like spending that much money. A sheet of Plasticard and a sheet of embossed brick plastic are cheap, and so what if the first few efforts are not very good. Just try again. I just think that those who buy "ready to plonk" buildings are missing a great deal. 

But each to his/her own. It would be very boring if we were all the same.

Jonathan

PS My bete noir is low melting point soldering, though I am slowly getting there. It has only taken 50 years.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

But the thing with buildings is that unless it is something like LNWR station structures or signal boxes they are very individual. I like my buildings to shout the place where the layout is located, and that means building them myself or commissioning - and I have never felt like spending that much money. A sheet of Plasticard and a sheet of embossed brick plastic are cheap, and so what if the first few efforts are not very good. Just try again

I personally agree with this, in fact I find creating buildings one of the most rewarding and enjoyable parts of this hobby, maybe I should do what Lee has done and just do architectural modelling and ignore the railway bit... :)

Have you seen the buildings he did for David Todd's Dover Priory? They are exquisite, and absolutely nail the look of the prototype.

Al.

• 3 years later...

Hey! Yes! This was me

I'm sorry I've been away for the last 3 1/2 years - I've been busy building up a model making business. Since this article was published, I've been flat out making models of people's homes. Only searched myself on here because I was looking for something :)

@Alister_G  hope you're well mate :)

Edited by freebs
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 1