Any advice on how to minimise shapeways costs

I wonder if any of the bright minds on here can help with a Shapeways cost a fortune problem!! - a couple of years ago I designed some 60s concrete platform lamp-posts as I couldn't find anything that matched what I was trying to model (Banbury) - the 3D print that I did needed to allow for micro led(s) fitting in the top - so after some very kind help from someone on here I came up with this... I have two separate prints one for the majority of the lamp and one for the tops to be fitted after leds have been installed. I printed the base in smooth fine detailed plastic and the tops in white natural plastic - I did a batch of 6 at a go as a test...The total cost was $18 - now I am ready to actually build the platforms two years later and I find that total cost is now $53 + shipping and that the white natural plastic is no longer available - two questions:-

1. What is the best replacement material for white natural plastic - any ideas
2. Any suggestions on some value engineering to reduce unit costs as I need 21 lamps (plus some spares) which will be rather more than budget - at $200 plus shipping Eeeek... I have no idea if scrunching them up more or printing more in one print would help - does anyone know what the parameters to play with are? 

Screenshot 2020-07-10 at 16.41.47.jpg

Screenshot 2020-07-10 at 16.34.00.png

Screenshot 2020-07-10 at 16.32.07.png

For me the most effective way of cutting down cost is reducing part numbers. You’ve done a good job already as the sprues combine everything into two discrete parts - but I’d be tempted to see if you can ‘attach’ the sprues from each 3D model to each other. I’ve found that that can reduce the cost by up to a third just by itself.

I’d also look at hollowing out any areas you can to reduce material costs.

besides that, I think you’ve already got a fairly Spartan scheme there, so I don’t think that there is much potential for cutting down etc. without interfering with your model.

Hope that helps and that I haven’t been talking gibberish :)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

There are a growing number of 3d print shops springing up - you upload the design and they give you a quote, why not try one of them as an alternative to shapeways, may find one local to you.

• Like 1