Modelstrip

• RMweb Premium

Do you have an ultrasonic bath?  A few days ago I decided to remove some "weatheing" I had inflicted on some innocent Hornby Dublo wagons many years ago before I knew better.  Basically I'd just smothered them with brown enamel paint.  Anyway, I'd just got some new "general purpose" ultrasonic cleaning fluid from Allendale Ultrasonics (£11.47 for a litre) and i added that at 10% to tapwater in my very ordinary Lidl ultrasonic bath.  I ran it through a couple of 480-second cycles and was astonished to find that most of the paint had been removed.  Some scrubbing with a toothbrush and cream cleaner removed any stubborn bits remaining.  Just in case it was a fluke i tried again with siome more stock, all with the same result.

DT

• RMweb Gold

Oven pride is excellent. I stripped a triang 0-4-0 which had painted 40 years ago. Popped it in a plastic bag with couple of table spoons of over pride and all the paint fell off over a few hours.

Highly recommended.

• Agree 2

Guest Half-full
On 12/07/2020 at 10:37, pete_mcfarlane said:

Dettol also works quite well if you leave the model in it for a few days, although getting it at the moment seems quite hard due to the panic buying at the start of Covid-19. 

If you leave a model in Dettol for a few days, it'll be a blob!  

Dont leave for any longer than 12 hours max!  Works a treat though

• RMweb Gold
On 12/07/2020 at 22:58, ikcdab said:

Oven pride is excellent. I stripped a triang 0-4-0 which had painted 40 years ago. Popped it in a plastic bag with couple of table spoons of over pride and all the paint fell off over a few hours.

Highly recommended.

Especially good at removing tampo printing off Bachmann models ... Heljan a bit more resistant . 

Removal of manufacturers paint generally requires Superstrip as above

On 15/07/2020 at 22:09, Guest Half-full said:

If you leave a model in Dettol for a few days, it'll be a blob!  

Dont leave for any longer than 12 hours max!  Works a treat though

I left my Lima 59 in it for several days and its fine.. usually make sure get exactly a 50/50 solution

NL

• 10 months later...

Bit late to this thread but thought it might still be useful... I discovered that Modelstrip is still actually available direct from the manufacturers, Strippers Paint Removers. I called them and they told me the person they used to manufacture for is no longer trading however they still sell it but it's under their name of Kling Strip. They sell trial packs which are 250ml. I found it a good size for my purpose. I still find it the most effective way to remove paint from my models.

• Informative/Useful 6

On 11/07/2020 at 21:38, thestourbridgelion said:

“ Modelstrip” used to be really good for removing paint from plastic bodies but I understand it’s discontinued. Does anyone know of an alternative?

Deluxe Materials Strip Magic...avail from most hobby shops/eBay etc.

Vids of using on YouTube .....

• Agree 1

On 15/06/2021 at 09:52, tractor_37260 said:

Deluxe Materials Strip Magic...avail from most hobby shops/eBay etc.

Vids of using on YouTube .....

I purchased this product a couple of years ago having watched the manufacturers' video.

It is excellent at removing all paint if you need to get back to bare plastic.

However, be aware that it has different reaction times to some paints.  I purchased the product basically for removing just numbers / lettering, leaving the base colour.  They say on their tutorial that this is achievable by neutralising the product with IPA as soon as the number disappears (see at 3:49 on the video) .

I applied it to my Heljan Class 58 but in a few seconds the black plastic of the body moulding appeared!  I didn't get time to apply the IPA!

I haven't used the product since.  I found it much more aggressive and quick acting than advertised. 

Edited by cravensdmufan
Correction to terminology

Modelstrip was a Sodium Hydroxide solution (to do the actual stripping) in a clay (to thicken it enough to stay in place) its not all that different from an oven cleaner.

Jon

Edited by jonhall
  • Like 1

On 18/06/2021 at 09:02, cravensdmufan said:

I purchased this product a couple of years ago having watched the manufacturers' video.

It is excellent at removing all paint if you need to get back to bare plastic.

However, be aware that it has different reaction times to some paints.  I purchased the product basically for removing just numbers / lettering, leaving the base colour.  They say on their tutorial that this is achievable by neutralising the product with IPA as soon as the number disappears (see at 3:49 on the video) .

I applied it to my Heljan Class 58 but in a few seconds the black plastic of the body moulding appeared!  I didn't get time to apply the IPA!

I haven't used the product since.  I found it much more aggressive and quick acting than advertised. 

Interesting, I've not used it on any Heljan models, often white spirit removes No's/names without damage to the paint on these.

Provided one's careful/quick Strip Magic will remove sector markings/numbers on 3T Grey Bachmann locos without affecting the Greys underneath.

Mask off the brandings apply the Strip Magic sparingly, for a minute or two and then apply some IPA/meth to stop the reaction.

• RMweb Premium

I was about to start a new topic, but reading the discussions above I will ask here.

I am currently stripping a model building (Pikestuff) using neat Dettol. Please - what solvents should I use at the end, to remove the sticky residue and prepare the model for a new coat of paint?

The paint is a mixture of Tamiya spray and brushed paints over Halfords white and grey primers. Mild soapy water doesn't seem to work at all.

Edit: I've tried meths and Tamiya X20A thinner, but the model is still slightly tacky.

- Richard.

Edited by 47137

Over the years I've used Modelstrip to remove markings and enamel paint, and Superstrip to remove everything. I can see that there are now various alternatives but I have not had reason to experiment with them yet. I once bought a Mainline LMS 50' BG which had been painted GWR brown, smothered it in Modelstrip and the underlying factory BR blue came up like new. Superstrip would have removed that too.

But it was Modelstrip's ability to remove markings which made it so useful. I once used it to remove the large logos and numbers from a Lima 50043 Eagle and they disappeared without trace. I now want to do the same to a 73105 to eventually turn it into E6018 with its wrap-around yellow ends but recent experience suggests that the two tubs I have - one of which was apparently one of the last available, bought from Squires two maybe three years ago - have lost their effectiveness through age, although I have yet to tackle the 73 so I'll keep my fingers crossed. They seem to work on some things but struggled to shift very old Humbrol metallic 'brass' paint a few weeks ago.

Whatever kind of stripper one uses though it's important to test it on an unimportant area of the model first if possible as factory paint composition will always be an unknown factor - the manufacturers will not advertise changes to this as time passes.