In Support of 'O' gauge in Dorset

Dad-1

O.K muddys-blue,s I'd certainly be listening to The Eagles 'Hotel California' whatever I'm working on.

Which has for a while been back on '00' where I'm finishing the layout I'm doing for the club.

Having got the '0' running I've left alone. Some delay while I awaited a club member bringing down

some crushed slate he acquired for ballasting his outdoor '00' workings. My idea is to mix something

like 50/50 crushed slate with Woodland Scenics medium mixed grey ballast. Now as perhaps with others

I've heard that a PVA/water glue can cause a reaction resulting in green ballast, noted when used with

granite. 

My first attempt seems O.K, the PVA/water mix bringing out the darkness of the slate. I'm slightly concerned

that it seems to be taking longer to dry, whether that's because of simply more ballast is being lain, or

a reaction with the slate ? Certainly not as quick to dry out as when I've been working on '00'. Then I've

always kept to 100% Woodland ballasts.

IMG_3746.JPG.a21d72dc42a101b574a6889f6989c1f0.JPG

It's being done in my usual fashion of 'stitching' along in short sections as a way of limiting the amount

of water laying on the boards. They are well varnished so perhaps that's being overly cautious, but not

a bad idea.

IF I get the chance I might be able to finish this board tonight.

I'm also getting nearer starting that Parkside 12 ton fruit van, having just finished building a Cambrian

'00' Dogfish, although that needs decaling.

Geoff T.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I have got back to this 'O' stuff, too much to be done in '00' !!

I'm also beginning to think I'm Doomed with my 'O' gauge projects.

First the Brake Van was missing it's wheel sets, box never been opened. Peco replaced

no problem.

Now I've at last decided I have the time to start the Parkside PS46 kit, representing a LNER

12 ton fruit van.

Disaster, well more like bad luck has followed me. On examining the box contents I find that

one side of the van hasn't moulded completely. These things happen, but as I bought back in

early April the original supplier may not want to have it returned and anyway to send back would

cost postage, then what if they don't have another to replace it with ? I could I suppose have a

word with Peco who are usually excellent, but I'm not certain I can be bothered. Surely a modeller

with a few basic skills can hide this. A small piece of plastic card, some filler and great care during

cleaning up should suffice.

The kit contents :-

IMG_3828.JPG.93d1232f14a8d76e47a0d7efc33f0b16.JPG

My missing corner

IMG_3827.JPG.283a2ed15569ae258a20fd877aef9c65.JPG

If I can't fix this I'm not much of a modeller, but when I think my Dapol Sentinel had broken

guard irons at one end (Parts now replaced). The Parkside brake van had the wheel sets missing

and now this has a small moulding fault. Are the fates telling me than 'O' is not for me ????

Geoff T.

• Friendly/supportive 2

I think you must be unlucky but this is poor quality control. I had a few issues with several of my Dapol Banana vans including having to replace the wheels and bearings on one because of a missing bearing which Dapol can't replace. See latest post in my Black Notley thread.

Paul R

I must have been lucky as I can't remember any real problems with any of the 100 or so '00' wagon

kits I've made. I really don't 'do' locomotives although the two Roxey Mouldings white metal kits went

together a treat, the only other the DJH kit needed heavy work.

Anyway, slow progress but here we have the inside patch that gave me a backing for a small piece of

thicker black plastic card.

IMG_3830.JPG.161f96bec58d14f3f4dc97c0fe99c556.JPG

Some thinner white card fills proud so I can smooth down to the original.

IMG_3829.JPG.38bd78c2e625c721a46f00a817a1036a.JPG

Still have to Add some fine filler after sanding and then scribing in the plank groove.

IMG_3831.JPG.adbc0e258df3585e065b3a4ba035cd0f.JPG

I'm now asking myself do I really want 3 'O' wagons ? part of the original plan.

Geoff T.

• Like 1

O.K some help for that last question.

I think the minimum stock is 3 wagons. I have the brake, essential, I have the 12 ton van,

again essential. So I need an open. Do I go for a 16 ton steel mineral ? Or a 7 planker ??

My initial thought is a 16 ton mineral as that would be far easier to weather, but 7 plank

wagons also got everywhere as well.

Geoff T.

Edited by Dad-1
spelling

Not perfect, perhaps after a light sanding and another couple of coats of paint it'll be hidden

slightly better.

First one from a 'perfect corner

IMG_3836.JPG.2a70afabd048ebeabab37489b74aa307.JPG

Then the re-built corner

IMG_3835.JPG.9a2a77d25b0a424ebe76eb5cebe6b3d4.JPG

I suppose nobody is going to look as closely as the camera ?

Anyway with my old shaky hands and poor eyesight I don't think I could have done better.

Geoff T

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

Looks OK to me  and remember most goods wagons had a hard life and would have to have repairs from time to time . The local preserved railway has a van where soft, potentially rotted timber has been cut away and replaced in a similar way to yours.

best wishers,

Ian

Thanks for the comments guys,

I'm wondering if I'm the only one who struggles with the Parkside instructions, in particular

for assembly of the brake gear !!

The first one took me ages, with the 12 ton van kit they seemed even more confusing, so I

upended the LNER brake van to see how I'd done that one.

IMG_3837.JPG.410d21e18f544ed131b287202df2f478.JPG

IMG_3838.JPG.766e18e6e3627ade45a18bf774298a30.JPG

The white plastic cross shaft still loose and I have to add all the main lengthways rodding.

I'm not too happy with the very sloppy axle box fit in the W irons and there is more diagonal

rock than I find acceptable. I might add shims to get all wheels touching.

Geoff T.

All brass in place in the braking system and the door bars.

Buffers still need fixing, but I'm really confused regarding the Vacuum pipes.

Only 1 end shown on the instructions and from that you can't see which of

them it is !!

Now will have to do some research, so all stops for a while

IMG_3839.JPG.017db052086ee9c16c45be89832da265.JPG

IMG_3840.JPG.8dc9f22f277a9fb9804e9df6d258a2ef.JPG

I wasn't happy with the way the hand brake levers fitted, so I reprofiled to get a closed fit

by the brake 'V' hanger.

Otherwise it's coming out O.K.

Geoff T

• Like 2

' In support of O gauge in Dorset'. That brought a smile to my face, just before this Covid business hit, we at the Blandford Railway Club realized a few members were interested in 'O gauge', and so we were preparing to add an appropriate section to the club. But when things settle down again - perhaps?? Good luck Geoff:sungum:

Hi pwr, and Bike2steam,

Exactly the same, which is why I plunged in. To be honest I believe that Dapol are bringing 7 mm

into a more affordable sphere. There is no way I could ever dream of having one of those beautiful

brass 4-6-0 locos that I see advertised in magazines. For me even £500 for a single loco would be a

step too far, let alone  £3000 !!

As you're planning I decided we should at least have a test track. Who would ever do it ? ME I decided.

So while Covid has crashed your club progress I utilised shut-down time after having agreed with the

committee a rough spending limit. I then had to have something to test what I was making, hence the

purchase in April of the Dapol Sentinel. To all those who think I may be smitten the wagons are, well

sort of essential, you can't Just have a loco can you ?

So definitely no layout planned, that doesn't mean I wouldn't do a collaborative construction. In

secret I do fancy a 7 mm equivalent of the two '00' shunting layouts. Two boards, roughly 9 feet long,

MMMMmmmm. Luckily I have a lot of self control - Believe that if you can !!

Geoff T.

A search regarding the location of brake pipes on LNER wagons pointed me to an old 2011 RMW

thread !!

It seems that the piping was run down a false solebar on the opposite side to the brake cylinder.

The  shaped vacuum pipe fits well on one end in that manner, but is certainly not as shown in the

instructions. Still at a loss as to the shorter pipe for the other end.

Anyway buffers now in, weight added in the form of strip steel to give me as near as to 200 grams.

A small shim added between one spring and the axle box so the van sits as near to square with equal

distance to the ground at all 4 buffer beam ends and no diagonal rocking. Now apart from fixing the

vacuum pipes it's into painting.

My steel strip, fixed with gel superglue and also supported with foam fillsIMG_3842.JPG.73d5d8ec19c45d1da13a0b6867c1439c.JPG

The underneath. I'm still not 100% happy with my brake lever fitting. Too far out from the hanger,

but even to achieve this I had to put an 'S' bend into the levers. Should have done more, but

too late now.

IMG_3843.JPG.b49b40428388d03d0a4e9790de0ca82d.JPG

Roof stuck on, buffers in, Just those brake pipes.

IMG_3844.JPG.cc36a5687df909c5df833bd2c0898489.JPG

I'm happy as to fixing one, the other ??IMG_3845.JPG.0674b1302e5d0558b6cf7133fa55d0fc.JPG

Paints out tonight, Ahh what colour, early BR Bauxite ? BR freight brown ?

Even I don't know what it'll be yet !!

Geoff T.

• Like 3

The group so far.

IMG_3849.JPG.2f08c2e6e732003a4f82610f867e500f.JPG

Only the van sides painted at present, I had to hold it by the ends.

A small group like this in 7 mm looks O.K, wouldn't work with 'N' !!

More painting tonight, but already thinking about that fourth and final 7 mm wagon. Although

I'm a fan of 16 ton steel minerals, but I think it has to be a RCH 7 planker.

Geoff T.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I've not come across different sized vacuum pipes on one wagon - I think you've had more bad luck and the shorter one is their GWR version. You are right, on NE wagons they both start on the opposite side to the brake cylinder (so mirrored) and angle towards the centre of the van.

Edited by Hal Nail

Thanks Hal Nail,

It seemed odd to me, but as a friend who used to work at Wolverton said  "Its a clever man who can

see both sides at once" in his case referring to slightly different colours on each side of a refurbished

coach.

All in place so I have to live with it. So few 4 mm models have brake pipes it's something I'm not

conversant with.

Geoff T

Just found this thread.  Your kit builds look great!  I like how you repaired the van side.

I would say that I dislike the Parkside WM vac pipes and replace them with Slaters flexible vac pipes, maybe that's me though.

One of first kits was the LNER van.  Here's my rendition of the underframe:

766673970_P1010002(2).JPG.161ecd2a696f14a1b38fb08622b8e159.JPG

My methods have evolved since.  However, you see a representation of the vacuum pipe.  You will note that vac pipes go under the buffer beam.  Nowadays I make the vac pipe a bit beefier and try to join it to the bufferbeam pipes.  I also add a piece of wire to represent the vac connection to the cylinder.

Looks like you sussed the brake gear, it can be confusing.  One point, and it's a major niggle with me, is that most kit makers ignore the safety loops around the clasp brakes.  You can see these on the pic above.  Once the van is assembled it is very difficult, and hazardous, to remove the wheels.

As for mineral wagons, depends very much on your era.  The Sentinel has early crest so that suggests mid 50s.  In which case a decrepit PO wagon or rusty steel wagon are appropriate IMO.

When I started I told myself I would only build the wagons I needed.  Nearly 5 years on and they have multiplied like rabbits.  There is so much variety, it is hard to resist.

John

Edited by brossard
  • Funny 1

Hi brossard

Nice van underside, mine has now been painted using a home mixed GWR wagon grey

that went wrong, Humbrol black with some N0.27 slate grey mixed in. Now a slightly off

black and more use than a black, but too dark for GWRs later grey. Although I've always

thought the GWR colour was much darker pre grouping.

The expanding wagon collection had me laughing, being the owner of over 500 '00' freight

wagons. Wagon building is addictive and while few will have room to run many 7 mm wagons

my large '00' layout has run freights of between 50 and 60 behind a loco, with one travelling

out loaded, the other returning the empties !! My argument is that I need between 100 - 150

16 ton minerals.

This project is STRICTLY controlled, 4 at the very most .............. But there are so many I like !!

Geoff T.

I had a fair few 00 wagons when I did that scale but they're all gone now, sold off.  I never had anywhere near 500 though. 

I realized early on that I would never have the time, energy, resources or space to do both scales.

I am very happy with 0 gauge and I couldn't see going back.  Dapol was very helpful to me with the transition.  Their locos are very affordable.  I do have a couple of Tower brass locos, the price of which made my eyes water.  We are still very limited for choice in RTR locos unless you do GWR :angry:

You'll forgive me, I hope, for being sceptical about your "strictly controlled" wagon programme.

John

• 2 months later...

Hi Brossard,

I am very strict with myself and 4 it will stay. However with Club member Ken really being into 'O'

When Covid allows I can run his stock and on his layout.

Anyway wagon number 3 ready for painting, wagon 4 still in it's sealed box and I'm frightened to

open it.

Why ? The fates are telling me to keep out of 'O'. The disaster story so far :-

Dapol Sentinel came with broken guard irons at one end (Rails obtained replacements I fitted myself).

Parkside brake van in sealed box, with no wheel sets. (Sent to me by Peco)

Parkside 12 Ton Van a miss formed corner on one side. (Repaired myself)

Parkside 5 plank open with wrong instructions. (emailed by return from Peco)

IMG_3957.JPG.c2e0d74fe451d8f845b89e4b08c52dbc.JPG

Note another '00' kit build alongside, not deserted that !

Geoff T.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Geoff.  You do seem to have had some bad luck with your 0 gauge.  I have to say that I have been fortunate and don't have any complaints.

I think the thing I like to do most is build kits.  I'm building a lot of kits for two friends.  It is good for me since I get to know GWR and pre group North British while my mates buy the kits.  RTR is OK but I always like to add refinements. 

John

10 hours ago, Dad-1 said:

Hi Brossard,

I am very strict with myself and 4 it will stay. However with Club member Ken really being into 'O'

When Covid allows I can run his stock and on his layout.

Anyway wagon number 3 ready for painting, wagon 4 still in it's sealed box and I'm frightened to

open it.

Why ? The fates are telling me to keep out of 'O'. The disaster story so far :-

Dapol Sentinel came with broken guard irons at one end (Rails obtained replacements I fitted myself).

Parkside brake van in sealed box, with no wheel sets. (Sent to me by Peco)

Parkside 12 Ton Van a miss formed corner on one side. (Repaired myself)

Parkside 5 plank open with wrong instructions. (emailed by return from Peco)

IMG_3957.JPG.c2e0d74fe451d8f845b89e4b08c52dbc.JPG

Note another '00' kit build alongside, not deserted that !

Geoff T.

Geoff

I seem to have the same problem with Dapol wagons.

Banana van  - missing bearing - had to replace wheels and bearings because although Dapol sent me a new bearing it got lost in the post because they didn't pack it properly and here were no more in the country apparently.

Banana Van - broken underframe - repaired myself

Banana Van - coupling not fitted properly x2 wagons - sorted myself, one of them after having to dismantle the entire coupling assembly

Hybar open - missing complete buffer assembly - Rails have said they will send me a new Buffer but still waiting!

Heljan 33 - broken handrail

And don't get me started on Heljan gears.

Although this would seem to endorse what you are saying don't let it put you off. This is 'the' scale even if you only have room for a shunting plank. Part of the fun for me is the challenge.

The issue seems to be one of quality control by the two big manufacturers. They don't appear to check the stuff when it comes out of the container from China and simply ship it out.  Retailers the same. There was a time when they would open the boxes before despatch but not any more although I think the smaller suppliers still do. I think that GOG have a part to play here in trying to exert some pressure so I may pen a letter to the Gazette.

Paul R

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

What with pwr's problems with Dapol Kits and mine with Parkside kits I'm pleased to say that

I'm just starting the last of my 4 x 7 mm wagons.

It Is impossible to have anything wrong in a 4th Kit on the trot ?.

Nope !! At least this time it's just that the enclosed brass wire isn't there. I don't know what thickness

should have been included, but I have a packet of 0.5 mm brass wire on the shelf so it's not a problem

other than a complete loss of confidence. WHY, Why ? I've made around 150 '00' wagon kits and almost

zero problems. True some of the parts were a bit rough and didn't fit as well as intended, but all were

there and complete

Yet here I was using what should be quality kits and every one has had some niggling problem Tonight

I may join the first parts together of this 4th kit, a 16 ton mineral.

Before that I'll add decals to 5 Ratio '00' GWR 5 plank wagon kits. The only problem with these is they

were designed for the original plastic wheel sets, or Alan Gibson finer scale metal tyred sets that tended

to have small flanges and be slightly undersize. If fitting Hornby 3 hole wheels they heavily foul the

brake shoes and on under chassis ridges. Not the kits fault, but matching to easily available alternatives can cause some miss-matches..

That however is another story and nothing to do with 7 mm scale.

Geoff T.

Edited by Dad-1
line spacing