Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Plastics and baseboards

• RMweb Gold

I have recently recovered several lengths of uPVC fascia board which had, in fact, been in use as kitchen shelving. Maximum width available is, I think, only 9" so good for a 2mm scale project.

It has a smooth exterior with a dense foam core. Over the four foot length it is not rigid enough to make a baseboard even though it has a lip. But I can get round that by either having a sandwich structure (with the track on an upper level viaduct) or by using another piece of it as a backscene screwed to the base. It takes screws and pins very well.

I note that MGRHooper has put up a video of a diorama for which the baseboard has been made of a similar material but thinner and with a more traditional style of baseboard. Has anyone else got experience of this?

On a similar vein, I have got quite a lot of offcuts of uPVC sheet (used as a hygienic wall coating in kitchens, hospitals, etc). This is 3mm (60 thou) thick and looks like a good material for making buildings, etc. Can someone who knows more about plastics than I do confirm what would be best as adhesive/solvent?

An 8' x 4' sheet of this uPVC sheet is about £30, so potentially rather cheaper than Plastikard and similar.

Joseph

I have two decent lengths of this type of facia board left over from our extension build, was thinking of using it for a small 4mm narrow gauge shelf layout using 36 mm x 19 mm timber battening and hardboard battening thinking the shelf supports at 2' intervals will stop any sagging of the frames 

2 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

On a similar vein, I have got quite a lot of offcuts of uPVC sheet (used as a hygienic wall coating in kitchens, hospitals, etc). This is 3mm (60 thou) thick and looks like a good material for making buildings, etc. Can someone who knows more about plastics than I do confirm what would be best as adhesive/solvent?

An 8' x 4' sheet of this uPVC sheet is about £30, so potentially rather cheaper than Plastikard and similar.

Just a point, 3mm is 120 thou.

Edited by Phil Traxson
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

UPVC pipe is welded using a pipe solvent that seems to be a thick mix of PVC dissolved in acetone.  I would guess that acetone alone would evaporate too quickly, although a test might be interesting.  The pipe solvent is probably rather too thick and messy, but perhaps a mix of roughly 1:1 acetone and pipe solvent might give an optimum mix for modelling.  

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Phil Traxson said:

Just a point, 3mm is 120 thou.

Yes, silly of me. But 3mm = 9" in 4mm scale so useful for a 9" wall.

This week is going to be manic. But hopefully experiment a bit the following week.

It maybe too difficult to cut to make it worthwhile for difficult items. But could be good for platforms and the like.

• Like 1