I have made a little shunting layout on my windowsill in my bedroom. it has three sidings and a head-shunt. This will probably become an exhibition layout sometime in the future.  I've thought up a backstory for it but haven't thought of a name yet. 

It is a fictitious industrial yard located near Sheffield. The yard was fomerly part of the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincoln Railway (MS&LR- Predecessor of the Grand Central Railway) In 1923, the yard was in a joint ownership between the LMS (London Midland Scottish) and the LNER (London and North Eastern Railway). In 1948 it became BR property. In its heyday, it was a busy and important yard. Trains would come in via the mainline link, the locomotive would then uncouple, run round the train and wait at the other end of the train. The yard shunter, (normally a J94 0-6-0ST later, a Class 08), would attach to the train and gradually transfer wagons into the warehouse siding to be loaded/unloaded. when the final wagons were put into the siding, the brake van would be detached and left in the loop. the shunter would then reattach the brake van to the end of the train. The locomotive would then couple up to its train. The shunter would then return to it's designated siding and the train would leave the yard. the process would then be repeated with the next train.

That's all I got so far. let me know what you think.

James

• Like 2

Hello James,

You've got a rake of good ideas there, I saw that you've got 'preservation' in your tags. I recall one near Meadowhall not far from Wincobank, I think that's a lovely name and I used to stop at a cafe up there for a bacon and egg roll, when I had a day in Sheffield.

Here's a couple of pics from Sunday visits to the area this one from Neepsend

SheffBldg.jpg.f2a25182c710e1eb4ff01e4a478b4fba.jpg

And this one from just off Attercliffe Road

SheffBldg2.jpg.d7cb6df13d72f230496996392a6f0167.jpg

You'd be very welcome to the original files to use as you see fit.

Cheers - Jim

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2
  • RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, 6990WitherslackHall said:

I have made a little shunting layout on my windowsill in my bedroom. it has three sidings and a head-shunt. This will probably become an exhibition layout sometime in the future.  I've thought up a backstory for it but haven't thought of a name yet. 

It is a fictitious industrial yard located near Sheffield. The yard was fomerly part of the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincoln Railway (MS&LR- Predecessor of the Grand Central Railway) In 1923, the yard was in a joint ownership between the LMS (London Midland Scottish) and the LNER (London and North Eastern Railway). In 1948 it became BR property. In its heyday, it was a busy and important yard. Trains would come in via the mainline link, the locomotive would then uncouple, run round the train and wait at the other end of the train. The yard shunter, (normally a J94 0-6-0ST later, a Class 08), would attach to the train and gradually transfer wagons into the warehouse siding to be loaded/unloaded. when the final wagons were put into the siding, the brake van would be detached and left in the loop. the shunter would then reattach the brake van to the end of the train. The locomotive would then couple up to its train. The shunter would then return to it's designated siding and the train would leave the yard. the process would then be repeated with the next train.

That's all I got so far. let me know what you think.

James

Sounds great! Any pictures of it?

• Like 1
On 23/07/2020 at 13:31, Kevin Johnson said:

These are great looking warehouses, it will look great on your layout.

It's small and doesn't take up much space. Plus, I already have one that's assembled.  I think a bit of detailing e.g. Oil barrels, wooden pallets etc, perhaps some weathering and it'll look good on the "layout".

Edited by 6990WitherslackHall
7 hours ago, Jeff P said:

Is this a Scalescenes download?

Jeff 

Yes it is. If you've not built one of their kits before, this is a good introduction to the way they're designed and constructed. There are at least a couple of different brick textures available, too - I have built in red brick. This sample kit is very bashable too. 

IMG_20200710_222247.jpg

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I've made a start on the layout. This is one of the few ideas I've had. For the baseboard, I've used cardboard sheets. These came from the packaging for a shelf brought from Ikea. I seized them immediately before they could get thrown away. This isn't the final design, I'm just trying out a possible way of using the warehouse.

1597475701113161692936.jpg.1144452ce4fb9428a12ea294029fa42c.jpg

The layout has now been relocated to the garage due to the room that it originally was in being decorated. I'll take some more photos while I'm working and I'll give you updates. 

James

• Like 2

Here's the latest view of the new, improved layout:

1597564142704-122416386.jpg.238ab1e227a9f74e5d9d659bc6f38a6b.jpg

The new track plan has been settled and the track is pinned down. Obviously, there is still much work that has to be done such as ballasting, scenics, etc but it's getting there, slowly.

• Like 2
21 hours ago, col.stephens said:

Much better.  It looks more realistic.

Thanks Terry. Really appreciate the comment.

Since taking the photo, I've added a fence towards the front of the layout. This will separate the road from the yard. I have also built a Ratio Yard Office kit that came free in a Railway Modeller Magazine. I've also put on people (temporarily) and added clutter around the yard.

• 2 weeks later...

After running trains on it for a bit, I decided that I wanted a new layout. Something that had not been done before. I've always wanted to model a real location for ages (hence the NYMR themed Topics I made) but after a lot of thought, I finally thought of something i could recreate:

image.png.60714bad55d7423ccee4a42c6e9e082c.png

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

There has been a slight change of plan: I'm going to continue with the Industrial layout. It is more interesting than just a straight line. I'll do Fimber Halt at a later date.

I've stripped the boards bare. To give you a sense of how much space I have to play with, I've put a train on. The boards are 102cm by 40cm (end to end). I don't have enough room, let alone track, for a roundy-roundy. To add to that, I'm also stuck on ideas. Can anyone help me?

1600592220488-1037787030.jpg.e9ca8fb785a72ce8257bfbf4e23c5980.jpg