Girder bridge query

Having purchased a Peco girder plate bridge kit , it occurred to me that as my little shed diorama's "view blocker and exit" is supposed to carry a road, not another railway I may have made a basic mistake! Does anyone know if in fact such a bridge anywhere does carry a road over a railway rather than vice versa?  

24 minutes ago, Huggy said:

Having purchased a Peco girder plate bridge kit , it occurred to me that as my little shed diorama's "view blocker and exit" is supposed to carry a road, not another railway I may have made a basic mistake! Does anyone know if in fact such a bridge anywhere does carry a road over a railway rather than vice versa?  

Very common; one thing to note is that, because of the shallow nature of the deck, services such as gas and water mains would often be bracketed off the side, with 'anti-climb' spikes

• Like 1

Agree vey common. One extra detail is to slightly hump the road in the middle of the bridge suggesting that the road rose and fell to clear the railway. This way water could not pool on the bridge section. Don't forget a little camber too. Gordon Gravett is the go to author on roads.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Huggy said:

... Does anyone know if in fact such a bridge anywhere does carry a road over a railway rather than vice versa?  

Exactly the style I will use at the North end of Hatfield station, carrying the old route of the Hertford-St Albans road across the ECML, immediately after it crosses the old route of the Great North Road: because that was and is what is there (conveniently augmented with the advertising hoardings and a high brick wall also really present, to further screen from view the underscale return curves of the layout).

• RMweb Gold

The old Great North road at the Northern end of Biggleswade had 2 girder bridges, the first was put in place in October 1939 and the 2nd being added as traffic increased.

There's a picture at the bottom of page 14 here-

http://www.biggleswadehistory.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Eric-Lund-Memories-of-a-Bwade-Boy-1930-1946.pdf

https://virtual-library.culturalservices.net/webingres/bedfordshire/vlib/0.digitised_resources/biggleswade_digitisation_az_bridges.htm

• Like 2