Who wants Hornby to produce a Gresley P1.

DonnyRailMan

No way. We have to leave something for modellers to create from old Flying Scotsmans, Romford wheels and bits of brass .

Mind you if it had realistic haulage power, like 100 wagons I might be tempted.   I'd rather have an LNWR 19" goods or a Caley 903 "Cardean"  

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, DavidCBroad said:

I'd rather have an LNWR 19" goods or a Caley 903 "Cardean"  

There's not enough (any) Edwardian or later front-line LNWR motive power, its about time there was a Precursor/George V or Claughton....

As for the P1, perhaps we should see how the Hush-Hush does. Hornby already has the P2, which has room for development so there might not be room for a 2 member LNER monster.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Hroth said:

There's not enough (any) Edwardian or later front-line LNWR motive power, its about time there was a Precursor/George V or Claughton....

As for the P1, perhaps we should see how the Hush-Hush does. Hornby already has the P2, which has room for development so there might not be room for a 2 member LNER monster.

The Hush Hush is already sold out at many places. I don't think they are going to have any problems shifting those.

As for a P1. Who knows. :dontknow:

There does seem to be a lot of "What is it? I want one" recently. How many people really wanted a GT3 or Fell before another manufacturer announced them? Not many and most of those that did want one would have already thought about the kits that are available.

One of the reasons I haven't ordered a Fell is I've already planned for a JE version.

If somebody did make one. Then a Booster fitted one would be significantly appealing to those that like quirks.

spacer.png

Photo from Wiki Common.

Jason

• Like 2

They could do a set with an LMS Garratt, the U1 and Big Bertha with or without 60 wagons, to commemorate when a Garratt hauled freight stalled on the Lickey with the U1 banking and had to be rescued by Big Bertha.  I guess Heljan would have to do that.

Great Xmas present for the kids.

A GWR never built Hawkesworth Pacific or 2-10-0 would probably sell well....  The Germans seem fond of models of stuff that was never actually built so why not us?   LMS 4-6-4 version of the Duchess?   BR Standard 2-4-2T.

6 hours ago, Hroth said:

Likewise, my thoughts tend - in no particular order - toward such as the A5, B16, D34,  J6, J17, J69, K2, etc. which are of rather greater utility. But once all those are done, why not the mightiness?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

It’s far from top of my list but if it were to be produced, I’d buy one. Steamport Southport’s comment applies: “How many people really wanted a GT3 or Fell before another manufacturer announced them?”

(Actually, I really wanted all the gas turbines and the Fell but you know what I mean.)

• RMweb Premium

Could be Hornby territory . Big , impressive . I think they've just about saturated market on small black 0-6-0s even though theres still lots that could be done .  Hornby do tend to go for the more exotic stuff

On 12/07/2020 at 10:04, Hroth said:

As much as I'd like to see the P1, I'd much rather see them focus on more P2 variants, certainly the P2 was made to take a different nose section at the very least, evident by where the front of the P2 separates from the rest of the bodyshell.

Definitely an interesting concept.

Could they make the model a hybrid, with a micro motor in the Cartazzi to simulate the extra 6,000 lbs tractive effort or whatever it was? !!

I suppose added to an axle in the tender could make some sense - and give a good bit of extra grunt ....

Al.

Edited by atom3624

• RMweb Gold

It is about time someone produced a ready to run Welsh company engine; preferably Taff Vale 0-6-2T M or M1 or N or O(1-4) or even A- TVR or Kitson built - scope for other Welsh and non-Welsh versions of the M/M1:mellow:

• Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, Talltim said:

I never understand with this type of post, why Hornby in particular?

Probably because it's very much a Hornby type model. They already have some of the parts (or drawings) for other models in the range. Boiler, valve gear, etc. It is after all a small wheeled A3 with 2-8-2 wheel arrangement.

I would be very surprised if they haven't had a look at it as a potential model.

They also have similar locomotives in the range.

P2, A1, A3, A4, A2/2, A2/3, W1, O1, B1, B17, etc.

What I don't understand is why if someone suggests something or even announces a model then you start getting "I don't want that. I want XYZ instead". :dontknow:

Jason

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎14‎/‎07‎/‎2020 at 17:20, BMS said:

It is about time someone produced a ready to run Welsh company engine...

It's only relatively recently that we have seen an improving selection of the 'everyday and ordinary' pre-group design steam locos produced. Even the once mighty LNWR and NER have only a couple representative of their designs available in model form, the L&YR and NBR just one, and the CR is still waiting for its 0-6-0.

What would be the best choices for Wales? One from the large variety of South Wales coalfield tankies, and a 'something else' from the Cambrian? Looks difficult to pick an obvious winner with wide appeal. (Of course that's standard gauge: had Roco gone ahead with the Double Fairlie ten-some years ago, I would have found an excuse for one.)

For me Hornby have already dipped the toe into  GE/LNER East Anglian branchlines with their super little J15, and I think a Buckjumper or an E4 would continue the theme nicely! Hornby are getting quite good at the smaller engine...

• Agree 1

I have long felt that the P1s were underrated and perhaps ahead of their time in anticipating the sort of power and performance of the 9Fs. 

The availability of a proprietary P1 would help increase knowledge of SNG's lesser-known locos - but my own model would no longer be something unusual!

3 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

It's only relatively recently that we have seen an improving selection of the 'everyday and ordinary' pre-group design steam locos produced. Even the once mighty LNWR and NER have only a couple representative of their designs available in model form, the L&YR and NBR just one, and the CR is still waiting for its 0-6-0.

What would be the best choices for Wales? One from the large variety of South Wales coalfield tankies, and a 'something else' from the Cambrian? Looks difficult to pick an obvious winner with wide appeal. (Of course that's standard gauge: had Roco gone ahead with the Double Fairlie ten-some years ago, I would have found an excuse for one.)

Aren't PECO doing Fairlies and Englands?

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/146262-katopeco-announce-fr-locos-in-009-confirmed/

Nothing worth doing RTR from the Cambrian as they only had 94 locomotives at grouping and everything worth keeping was rebuilt by the GWR. The only thing I reckon would sell is the 2-4-0Ts and there is already a reasonable kit.

Possibly the Jones Goods but most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between one of those and a Dean Goods.

spacer.png

Photo from Wiki

Jason

• Like 1