Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Non member view and thoughts about the Gauge O guild

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mike Bellamy said:

These were questions that were asked many times on the Guild Forum without any satisfactory explanation and led to a number of very heated arguments which ultimately resulted in a prominent forum user being banned by the forum management. One of the outcomes was the creation of the 'Reform Group'.

"We don't like the very awkward and embarrassing questions you're asking, so we'll stop you from asking them...."

17 minutes ago, newbryford said:

They were even quoting £700 for a dedicated wi-fi link for 2 days at the NEC Warley show! (Instead of using the heavily overloaded free public service.)

:o:o

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, newbryford said:

I've been to other trade shows at the NEC on a company stand, the cost of a 3-phase 50A supply was eye-watering.

In the case of Warley NEC, the power supplies for layouts and demonstrators are covered by the organisers (Warley MRC), but the trader supplies are not.

For the now cancelled NEC show later this year, the cost of an electrical connection for a Society stand to run a small demo layout would have been £42.50 plus VAT.

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, Mike Bellamy said:

These were questions that were asked many times on the Guild Forum without any satisfactory explanation and led to a number of very heated arguments which ultimately resulted in a prominent forum user being banned by the forum management. One of the outcomes was the creation of the 'Reform Group'.

This has all happened before, some years ago,(20+?) and led to the formation of the Association of Large Scale Railway Modellers.

At that time I was led to believe, but it was never confirmed, the then events team were told to cut expenses and then some"officials",  who actually lived relatively close to Telford, still expected to have accommodation over night for a jolly with their mates, at which point the team abandoned ship and left them to it.  I hope this is not history repeating itself.

Edited by Phil Traxson
  • Agree 3

• Administrators
16 hours ago, newbryford said:

IME, It's only the large venues that charge for electricity - such as The NEC, SECC, TIC, etc edit: (Above and beyond it being included in an overall hire charge for say a school hall or sports centre)

The cost of providing such a service is pretty much dictated by the venue. There are no alternatives but to use the venue's appointed sub-contractor.

I've been to other trade shows at the NEC on a company stand, the cost of a 3-phase 50A supply was eye-watering.

16 hours ago, Furness Wagon said:

That's what I suspected.

At least dick Turpin had a mask on when he robbed you.

Marc

The contractor charges because they have to put in a socket specially. Unlike a school hall, there isn't an existing powerpoint - can you imaging everyone at the NEC ganging off a couple of wall sockets? There are doubtless safety and avoiding overload considerations along the way. You might be happy to work for free, but the contractor, who has paid handsomely for the contract, needs to eat. Yes, it's a chunk of cash, but it's hardly robbery for someone to be paid for their work.

Nice exhibition halls cost money to run and staff and that has be recouped during the short periods when the place is being hired out. Right at the moment, the places are costing money to keep standing but bringing in no income. Which is why I expect there will be a lot less of them in 12 months time. We can go back to village halls and everyone will be happy.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

....and even less if you model American diesels... :rolleyes: :no: :whistle:   ...but I don't expect - or need - the Guild to cater for that anyway. 

It does make me smile though when the publicity hype for Guildex promises "everything" for the O Scale modeller will be there. Not for me, it won't. But I still go, because I do dabble in UK O as well.

One of my favourite Telford layouts - and I have a wide range of interests - was a large  L&N layout - it was very well done and seemed popular. 2013 IIRC

P1120001.JPG

P1120030.JPG

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Phil Traxson said:

At that time I was led to believe, but it was never confirmed, the then events team were told to cut expenses and then some"officials",  who actually lived relatively close to Telford, still expected to have accommodation over night for a jolly with their mates, at which point the team abandoned ship and left them to it.  I hope this is not history repeating itself.

You always seem to get a few people like this with exhibition expenses - I once suggested a particular layout as a potential exhibit for a small show I was involved with and was told it probably wouldn’t work as the layout’s owner was known for taking advantage with exhibition expenses and we couldn’t afford this. The difference was that it wasn’t someone involved with the actual organisation of the show who was doing it...

• RMweb Premium
On 15/07/2020 at 20:16, Furness Wagon said:

Mike 

All I can say to the pricing of the trade stands at shows if the price was any higher I for one would be put off attending as I would be working for the Guild rather than myself. When at most shows electricity is included in the price and then its £15+ per day at the guild shows there is someone making a lot of money some were and if its not the guild then its has to be the venues.

Marc

Marc.. amended your post as I believe the money management of the GOG should be subject to a vigourous external (ie bias free) review.  You should be running these shows at least at Break Even.. the Guildex 2 day show is always going to be difficult to achieve.. but Paul Jones managed that before he took the Warley Show to the NEC .. and he did have a few very good helpers. Bringing a layout from Australia may have been semi funded but.. why?

And the need for various hangers on at shows needing sorting. 

Does the publications costs also include paying the same people to do  the Guild Admin?

Baz

I know its going back a few pages but I have been paid (by RM) for the 3 articles Photos and text I have had printed and also by Hornby mag when they did their article on Wencombe, a little less than RM as Mike Wild did the photos.

As to GOG I am a member but depending on hoped for changes after the next AGM I may not renew if they don't happen.

Edited by westerner
Editing typos.
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Barry O said:

...... until the night we cleared up at Telford and then drove home..was the first the events knew about the 3 course meal and drinks going on in the Holiday Inn.  I left when the next year we ended up in the do.. having again built the show, manned it and then dismantled it. A room full of people who didn't help being fed and watered was the end..

Adding a page to the GOG Newsletter detailing the individual expenses of all the grown-ups (by name) could've been real fun........

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, polybear said:

Adding a page to the GOG Newsletter detailing the individual expenses of all the grown-ups (by name) could've been real fun........

Only the treasurer could have done that..perhaps the reform group could look into that...

• Like 3

A rather interesting thing has just happened in the G0G election where a director of the Company has written to clubs/members within the geographic area that he has some representative responsibility for and 'strongly suggesting' how members should vote. This may well have some legal ramifications. 

Never a dull day in 7mm modelling at present.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Got my copy of the Gazette and all the AGM papers yesterday.  Very disturbing reading.  I hadn't realised how bad things had got.  The fact that there is no mention of trying to hold the AGM via Zoom is rather disturbing. I shall definitely  be voting, just need to gather a bit more information.

Jamie

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Guest Jack Benson

As a current non-member, it was the entrenched reactionary attitudes within the GoG that persuaded me to return to a ‘lesser’ scale.  

Cheers and Stay Safe

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Arun Sharma said:

A rather interesting thing has just happened in the G0G election where a director of the Company has written to clubs/members within the geographic area that he has some representative responsibility for and 'strongly suggesting' how members should vote. This may well have some legal ramifications. 

Ahhh.....vote rigging..... :jester:

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, Arun Sharma said:

Interesting is an understatement. Just the sort of thing that causes a split like twenty years ago. They obviously hate new ideas. The leopard never changes its spots. The Guild has always had an all controlling management that squashes dissent with its secrecy and closed ranks. What a shame that just as 0 gauge is becoming so popular the main society is carrying on like it was still in the 1950's. I wonder what Dapol and Heljan etc., think of the Guild?

It's a tragedy because they have all the stuff to potentially be a great society, a glossy 7mm scale magazine, a forum, loads of info on their website such as the invaluable trader websites and three shows per year. Unfortunately this does not counteract the politics and appalling management.

I would say to anyone wanting to do 7mm scale, at least if you model the post steam era, ignore the Guild and look at MIOG, Modern Image 0 Gauge, on Facebook and elsewhere, they are normal people not old farts arguing amongst themselves!

• Agree 4

2 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

As a current non-member, it was the entrenched reactionary attitudes within the GoG that persuaded me to return to a ‘lesser’ scale.  

Cheers and Stay Safe

That's a real shame. With the current boom in O Scale models, I'd suggest giving the scale another go, but forget about the Guild. It isn't compulsory to join, and is far from essential to help your modelling, either.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

Guest Jack Benson
2 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

That's a real shame. With the current boom in O Scale models, I'd suggest giving the scale another go, but forget about the Guild. It isn't compulsory to join, and is far from essential to help your modelling, either.

The gradual increase in popularity of O Gauge is in spite of the GoG, not because of the Guild. Their existence is a parasite on the community, sorry to be so negative but their self-serving management are solely responsible for the situation.

Just my opinion.

Cheers and Stay Safe

2 minutes ago, Jack Benson said:

The gradual increase in popularity of O Gauge is in spite of the GoG, not because of the Guild.

Won't disagree with that. The one positive of the Guild are the Shows, especially Telford Guildex, in terms of being a "one stop shop" for stuff. But if these have been mismanaged financially then that detracts from their provision - how long could they (the Shows) continue in the state they're in?

• RMweb Gold
Just now, F-UnitMad said:

Won't disagree with that. The one positive of the Guild are the Shows, especially Telford Guildex, in terms of being a "one stop shop" for stuff. But if these have been mismanaged financially then that detracts from their provision - how long could they (the Shows) continue in the state they're in?

The key here is surely the manufacturers/retailers who support the three shows.

Would they be willing to "jump ship" to a similar set of shows organised by a person/group with better management skills and experience of running shows?

• RMweb Gold

I've been modelling in this scale for 20 plus years. I'm 43 now and I never felt the need to nor do I feel I've missed out on anything by not being a member. I have gone to the Telford show twice many years ago, I visit the Bristol show every year so I don't think I have anything to gain by being a member. It's my choice, the same as everyone else. If you don't like the way its run then leave or vote for someone who is willing to bring the "guild" into the 21st century. The current system will see itself implode. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 14/07/2020 at 12:20, ColinK said:

I have written a few items for the 7mm NGA and although my articles are nowhere near as professional or polished as many, they have certainly been welcomed by the magazine editors, have been published and I’ve been encouraged to submit more.  The next issue of the DEMU magazine ‘UPDATE’ includes an article I’ve written about my layout, wonder how it will be received. But again I have been encouraged to submit more.  The key point is encouraging members to submit and publish articles.

Hi Colin

Being the sub editor and proof reader of UPDate, I was in the position of getting an early preview of your article. I found nothing intrinsically wrong with at all and it read very nicely indeed. Such was that I needed to do very little alteration/corrections and they were of a time sensitive nature caused by the blasted virus cancelling your forthcoming appearances, so it seemed pointless to leave them in. It was a very interesting read on the logistics and otherwise of taking a layout to a show and all that it entailed. I echo Kelly's sentiments in thanking you for submitting something so quickly that was 'a bit different' subject wise and also well written. Please feel free to submit more material, especially if you model in 7mm scale as we as a magazine are very much under represented in that size.

Thanks again for your article and I hope that we presented it to your liking. (The change of title/ adding of a subtitle was me so feel free to blame Kelly (D827 here).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

The key here is surely the manufacturers/retailers who support the three shows.

Would they be willing to "jump ship" to a similar set of shows organised by a person/group with better management skills and experience of running shows?

Some, over the years have. Other trade shows are run by groups as well as by people like the Association of Large Scale Railway Modellers.

Baz

• Agree 1