Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Non member view and thoughts about the Gauge O guild

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, fail safe said:

Its not irrelevant in the context that 20% is hugely more than normally vote. I think before it has always been more like 2%. In fact 20% is quite an achievment and the votes were almost split 50-50. The traditionalists tipping the balance. People were spurred on by the reform campaign on both sides. And I agree the issues will be raised time and again if they are not addressed.

But the challenge has fallen by the wayside, this time around. It's now up to the new board to determine whether to do anything or not.

Unlikley to change from the outside, can only chjange from within.

Does anyone know how many members voted? And how many voted for the status quo and how many voted for change? 

Remembering the new members who joined the Labour party  to vote for Jeremy Corbyn, or the new members who joined building societies in the 1990s with the express intention of changing them into plc banks - oops sorry to get the free £4000 or so conversion payment - well that worked out well didn't it?

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, GlenPudzeoch said:

Unlikley to change from the outside, can only chjange from within.

Does anyone know how many members voted? And how many voted for the status quo and how many voted for change? 

Remembering the new members who joined the Labour party  to vote for Jeremy Corbyn, or the new members who joined building societies in the 1990s with the express intention of changing them into plc banks - oops sorry to get the free £4000 or so conversion payment - well that worked out well didn't it?

The details of the votes were put on this thread. Page 25.

• RMweb Gold
On 03/09/2020 at 21:17, Isambarduk said:

Additionally, running and looks may be greatly improved at crossings by adopting 0-MF (0-Medium Fine) or 0-SF (0-Super Fine)

Hi David,

The terms 0-MF and 0-SF were originally created as Modified-Fine and Special-Fine. I see that the Guild has renamed them.

"Medium Fine" sounds as if it belongs mid-way between the old 0-Coarse and 0-Fine standards.

"Special Fine" (also called "Slaters-Fine") was intended to convey the fact that it is suitable only for Slater's wheels.

Brian Lewis when at C&L also created 0-XF ("eXtreme-Fine") which is largely forgotten for the good reason that it didn't work.

Not that it matters what anything is called provided folks know what they are doing. But why change the names?

cheers,

Martin.

6 hours ago, Ohmisterporter said:

Just wondering what members get from a quarterly magazine that they cannot get from forums like this? 

I don't think  that  too many people join any society just for the magazine, though such a publication certainly is of use.

The best simple answer is that "Its more specific" - virtually everything within those pages should be of at least some interest to the reader.

It supports the aims of the Society, which presumably, you as a member also support.

The really arcane stuff would never be on a forum like this one.

• Like 1

Guest Isambarduk
2 hours ago, martin_wynne said:

The terms 0-MF and 0-SF were originally created as Modified-Fine and Special-Fine. I see that the Guild has renamed them.

Ah, I didn't know that, Martin; I continue to learn something new every day!  Yes, I used the terms as they appear in the G0G Standards.   David

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, 009 micro modeller said:

I’m surprised they don’t have postal or proxy votes for those who can’t attend in-person though - lots of similar societies do.

They have had proxy votes for some years and this year allowed online voting via the members section of the website. That probably accounted for the high turnout compared to previous years. Several hundred votes were online. I can't remember how many proxies there were.

Jamie

• Informative/Useful 1

2 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

They have had proxy votes for some years and this year allowed online voting via the members section of the website. That probably accounted for the high turnout compared to previous years. Several hundred votes were online. I can't remember how many proxies there were.

Jamie

Trouble was, that some (most) of the proxies were undirected, and the chairman could (and quite

often did) use them to maintain the status quo, this year the chairman was very fair and split the 

proxies equally on each candidate.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Not being an O gauge modeller or member of the Guild I have followed this interesting topic but refrained from comment..... but now I have to ask, what is the point of an undirected proxy vote ? Are there really people who want to vote, but can't decide who to vote for ?

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, caradoc said:

Not being an O gauge modeller or member of the Guild I have followed this interesting topic but refrained from comment..... but now I have to ask, what is the point of an undirected proxy vote ? Are there really people who want to vote, but can't decide who to vote for ?

It happens in the business world too. People want to exercise their right to vote but sometimes don't feel that they know enough about the situation to allow them to decide which way to vote so they pass the vote and their choice to the Chairman, who they feel should be doing "the right thing" in the interests of the Business/Society.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

Jamie

OK. @sir douglas‘ post implied you could only vote if you physically attended.

14 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

It happens in the business world too. People want to exercise their right to vote but sometimes don't feel that they know enough about the situation to allow them to decide which way to vote so they pass the vote and their choice to the Chairman, who they feel should be doing "the right thing" in the interests of the Business/Society.

This is wrong on various levels in my opinion. If you are ignorant of the situation then the correct action is to abstain. If you are not entirely sure but feel you should cast a vote on the side of the angels then ask to have a trusted proxy vote on your behalf. That proxy could be the Chairman in an individual capacity of course but to have the Chairman collect proxy votes simply through the job surely exacerbates the sort of discontent I have been reading about on this thread.

• Agree 1

i didnt say you couldnt but i wasnt that involved with the workings of the guild before and i would want to be there in person to hear everything being discussed before making my vote. its probably just me thinking that way as the only AGM's ive been to are of the wakefield club, i'm used to being there in person

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, whart57 said:

This is wrong on various levels in my opinion. If you are ignorant of the situation then the correct action is to abstain. If you are not entirely sure but feel you should cast a vote on the side of the angels then ask to have a trusted proxy vote on your behalf. That proxy could be the Chairman in an individual capacity of course but to have the Chairman collect proxy votes simply through the job surely exacerbates the sort of discontent I have been reading about on this thread.

I agree. I abstained because I wasn't happy with things the board have done and I wasn't keen on elements of the Reform Group agenda, so I chose to not influence the result and I didn't vote. I didn't feel that either side deserved my vote.

Now it is over, I give the management my backing until such time as they do something to change that situation. Early indications are promising.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

I abstained because I wasn't happy with things the board have done and I wasn't keen on elements of the Reform Group agenda, so I chose to not influence the result and I didn't vote. I didn't feel that either side deserved my vote.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, whart57 said:

To be fair to the G0G management committee, and as Jeff has already pointed out, all the proxies were spilt equally between the two candidates for the various vacancies.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, t-b-g said:

I agree. I abstained because I wasn't happy with things the board have done and I wasn't keen on elements of the Reform Group agenda, so I chose to not influence the result and I didn't vote. I didn't feel that either side deserved my vote.

Now it is over, I give the management my backing until such time as they do something to change that situation. Early indications are promising.

What agenda of the Reform group was it that you didn't like?