Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Non member view and thoughts about the Gauge O guild

On 12/07/2020 at 23:13, SteveyDee68 said:

It is an old fashioned and somewhat outdated word - the only “guild”

most teenagers will associate with is the Guild of Assassins from Assassins Creed.

Now that is a good point. I myself am a teenager, living in America, who has a very passionate interest in the likes of Bassett Lowke, Leeds, Milbro etc. I have given much thought to joining the Guild, but I have also heard the many rumors about it. My rather un-researched opinion has been, “I’m a teenager living in America, who likes Bassett Lowke, they will certainly find something wrong with that, or the first bit will put them off entirely.”

Whether or not that is to harsh I don’t know, but any advice on younger members joining is appreciated.

Douglas

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Now that is a good point. I myself am a teenager, living in America, who has a very passionate interest in the likes of Bassett Lowke, Leeds, Milbro etc. I have given much thought to joining the Guild, but I have also heard the many rumors about it. My rather un-researched opinion has been, “I’m a teenager living in America, who likes Bassett Lowke, they will certainly find something wrong with that, or the first bit will put them off entirely.”

Whether or not that is to harsh I don’t know, but any advice on younger members joining is appreciated.

Douglas

All I can say Douglas is that I have never regretted joining the Guild. Yes the politics that some people play can be a pain. However I gave made many good friends through the Guild and haveconly had encouragement over the years, including at one point from Jack Ray who really started the whole thing. Working on the Bring and Buy stand there was always a fair selection of older coarse scale models bought and sold.

Jamie.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The new Gazette arrived today and I was very impressed with the comments from both sides of the arguments. The treasurers report makes very interesting reading.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

The new Gazette arrived today and I was very impressed with the comments from both sides of the arguments. The treasurers report makes very interesting reading.

Jamie

Have they finally given a better explanation of expenditure?

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, polybear said:

Have they finally given a better explanation of expenditure?

Reading the Treasurers report, that appears to be his intention. He's also in the process of recalling all cheque books so that he controls payments.  It certainly sounds positive but it's early days. Last years audit is ongoing.

Jamie

• Like 5

yes Jackie did a very good job organizing it, there was of course a few minor problems but its expected with doing something for the first time, i was surprised at the viewer numbers, in contrast to the 1000's that would attend the guildex, some rooms like a kit building one i was watching only had 15 people while one of the trader product releases had something like 200. i wasnt able to catch the morning sessions though

• Informative/Useful 1

Thanks to Jackie and her team for sorting everything out.

From a demonstrator's point of view a lot of people have watched the 3 videos that I produced, which is great. But from a traders point of view it was totally useless £0 sales.  And having spoke to a few other small manufacturing/suppliers they have been in the same ball game. It might be a good format for the big boys but might not have the same effect for smaller plyers of the game. Its only been one show so you can't pass judgement on if they could or should replace a standard face to face show just yet. 

Marc

i'm wondering now whether this thread has run its course, its done what it originally was supposed to and the AGM elections are done and gone, it wasnt supposed to be a general discussion thread about the guild as it has since become. The running of the guild is now getting better, i think that everybody that would have shared their opinions here has done so now

• Agree 7

• AY Mod locked this topic