yelrow

Beyer Garatt, and its hatred of points

Hi, have this new Beyer Garatt, that happily zooms up and down straights and curves. Wanted to put in a small siding, so could run other big locos, without removing Beyer. Have tried all option points that i have, all, Hornby, and it derails at some point, over whatever i try.. Can anyone recommend a point made by another manufacturer, that it is likely to accept.   thank you.

Can you fit a peco large radius point in? I would expect Hornbys points are too sharp a radius for it.

Peco medium radius should be fine and I would be surprised if the Garatt, Heljan(?) can't get round Peco 2ft small radius . Its only a pair of small wheeled Crabs back to back.  The standard Hornby points are a nominal 2nd radius but the tight bit through the blades is nearer 15" radius. My Bachmann 64XX pannier can't get round Hornby standard points so I'm not surprised the Garatt can't

A friend of mine has one, not a problem with the Peco points

on his layout (mixture of radii)

Have you checked the back-to-back of all the wheelsets yet?

thanks, guys, have checked, back to back, seems about right, and it belts along the straights, and Hornby, large curves.    I think, it sulks, when faced with the prospect of sitting in a siding.   Trouble is, removing it, requires a planned operation, and these lifting boxes, aint cheap.  Will look at peco large radius, cos i have a Rivarossi, Big Boy, and a challenger, that may be just as  touchy.

I can't remember how easy it would be to do, but it might be worth removing

the pony trucks and running it as a double 0-6-0, to see if there is any change.

Also, are the main power units free to rotate fully both ways?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, yelrow said:

thanks, guys, have checked, back to back, seems about right, and it belts along the straights, and Hornby, large curves.    I think, it sulks, when faced with the prospect of sitting in a siding.   Trouble is, removing it, requires a planned operation, and these lifting boxes, aint cheap.  Will look at peco large radius, cos i have a Rivarossi, Big Boy, and a challenger, that may be just as  touchy.

Peco sl88 or sl89 are what I'd be looking for, those are large radius. There are some with a slight curve to them to if it helps. None of these come with fish plates (rail joiners) attached, they are sold separately.

Edited by simon b

thanks guys, belts away on straights, so presume , power units ok.  will look at peco .

9 hours ago, [email protected] said:

A friend of mine has one, not a problem with the Peco points

on his layout (mixture of radii)

Have you checked the back-to-back of all the wheelsets yet?

Assuming it is a Heljan one in question (the OP does not specify)?

I checked the b2bs on mine before running & they were way too tight. So tight that I expected it would split every set of points it encountered.

Correcting the b2bs looked a bit daunting so I decided to try running it anyway. Although it is my poorest loco for staying on the rails, it does better than I thought it would.

i have been checking on this loco , which came from a private collection. How does one know if it is a hatton one. It came in a  Heljan box. thanks

4 minutes ago, yelrow said:

i have been checking on this loco , which came from a private collection. How does one know if it is a hatton one. It came in a  Heljan box. thanks

On my Hattons/Heljan Garratt the only sign of it being a Hattons model is their logo on the instruction leaflet.

Thank you, now here is the rub, owner could not find instructions, so mine came without.   I am fairly sure it is a Hattons one, i presume, Heljan, would know.

What would Hornby 'express points' bring to the party? Other than a lot of smirking behind covering hands.

They have a large radius and might be suited to giving access to the yard via a headshunt or loop.

A bit space hungry like all with a wide arc of operation but if you want to handle big loco's then sometimes you have to engineer the rails to suit the need

They also match the radius of the Hornby Y points which may open other opportunities.