Options please - light unit in Lima class 117

I've recently installed the Black Cat Technology lighting unit into  Hornby Class 121 and decided to try the 3-car Lima 117. The questions I have involve the use of the connection plug between the individual cars and I'm hoping this has already been done by somebody willing to share knowledge.

To me there are 2 options -

1) drill holes in the end of each unit and solder the connectors so they lie somewhere above the couplings.

2) alternatively add pick-ups to the unpowered end car so there is no need to run wire between the units.

I think I'd prefer the 2nd option if anybody can advise how this can be achieved please.

• RMweb Premium

Having wired together a few other units (mainly 142s) I'd definitely suggest going for the separate pick ups option on something like a 117, which has plenty of wheels to pick up from. I tried installing mini plugs and sockets on another unit, and it was a huge faff, even more so when it comes to coupling/uncoupling. I'm sure there is at least one manufacturer out there who sells aftermarket pick-up kits for just that situation, I have DCC Concepts in mind but may be wrong. 

JDW - thanks for the info. I've now searched for 'pick ups' and managed to find several useful articles - some have links to things like 'phosphor bronze strips'.

Unfortunately I'm now back at work so this project may have to wait for a while.