Modelling Mk1 Coaches

Yes, but I only used one RMB, opening the windows out and making frames from 10 thou." to match, the sliding vents spare from a mate who had some left over from building an AM10 unit. If you look in close-up the vents in the two windows to the left of the centre door don't quite line up. This is the good side; I had to cut holes for three new windows on the other. There was quite a lot of work on the roof too, removing the round vent and surplus pipes.

These days I'd probably use two BSKs and get a BG as a bonus. Not that it's really necessary these days as it was back in 1975(ish).

• Like 1

On 14/07/2020 at 16:22, AJCT said:

Yes, I wondered about using the Replica glazing, but was put off by the amount of filling required.  It might fit the Tri-ang RMB which I think has slightly shallower window openings but I haven't tried this out yet !

Alasdair

I've now been able to try this and, yes, it does appear to fit the RMB.  Not quite as flush as on the Replica vehicles it's intended for, but a noticeable improvement nevertheless.

Alasdair

There are of course other BR Mk.1 models which have appeared over the years.  Back in the early 1960s there were the legendary Kitmaster kits (BSK, SK/TSO, CK and the rarer RFO) - my late Father built a 4-car BSK/SK/CK/BSK set in 00 which I still have, and I've picked up quite a few pre-owned and pre-built ones (including an RFO) in various states at exhibitions over the years.  I believe they're very slightly under-length but the separately-inserted flush windows were a new idea at the time, similar to the Replica ones available now.  Here's a pic of one of my second-hand CKs -

851015007_KitmasterCK.jpg.90a1b6343d523ff7737ccc6b1ca2280e.jpg

- not in great condition, but it does have the printed card interior kit which Peco used to produce to match the Kitmaster kits.  I say "match" because I believe the spacing of the 1st class compartments is slightly wrong and Peco designed their interior kit to fit it !  See -

Then there was the Trix range of Mk1s to 1/80th (3.8mm to 1 foot) scale, all running on Commonwealth bogies - BCK, CK and RMB - rather a high proportion of 1st class one might say.  Back in the mid/late 1960s the then Model Railway Constructor ran a series on "Constructor looks at..."  and IIRC the "Coaches" article featured Mk1 CKs by Hornby-Dublo, Tri-ang and Trix (the Kitmaster version was by then no longer available).  Their vote went to the Trix version as being the best proportioned example (despite its smaller scale), and on the strength of that I bought several Trix ones - well, it seemed like a good idea at the time, m'lud.  The Trix versions used the same constructional methods as the Triang-Hornby ones, so they were also ripe for cut-and-shut conversions - out of 8 Trix vehicles I got BSK, SK, FK, CK, BCK, RMB and BSO (there weren't enough bits left to make up the 8th vehicle...).  Here's a pic of the BSO -

1327891657_TrixBSO.jpg.74c91eae957d4e9d483ffd5e6e3037e7.jpg

Not a brilliant job as you can see some of the joins - not all of the vehicles were fully  completed and this one doesn't have any interior....

The later Hornby-Dublo Mk1s looked nice as the metal sides gave a nearly flush-windowed finish, but they were clearly under scale length.  AFAIK also in the 4mm picture there are the Replica BCK, RFO and (ex-Mainline?) RB, all 3 of which have passed through my hands at some stage: I've no experience of the Coopercraft kits, and the one MTK kit I had was sold on unbuilt.

Hope this is of interest -

Alasdair

Edited by AJCT
Clarification
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, AJCT said:

There are of course other BR Mk.1 models which have appeared over the years.  Back in the early 1960s there were the legendary Kitmaster kits (BSK, SK/TSO, CK and the rarer RFO) - my late Father built a 4-car BSK/SK/CK/BSK set in 00 which I still have, and I've picked up quite a few pre-owned and pre-built ones (including an RFO) in various states at exhibitions over the years.  I believe they're very slightly under-length but the separately-inserted flush windows were a new idea at the time, similar to the Replica ones available now.  Here's a pic of one of my second-hand CKs -

- not in great condition, but it does have the printed card interior kit which Peco used to produce to match the Kitmaster kits.  I say "matched" because I believe the spacing of the 1st class compartments is slightly wrong and Peco designed their interior kit to fit it !  See -

Then there was the Trix range of Mk1s to 1/80th (3.8mm to 1 foot) scale, all running on Commonwealth bogies - BCK, CK and RMB - rather a high proportion of 1st class one might say.  Back in the mid/late 1960s the then Model Railway Constructor ran a series on "Constructor looks at..."  and IIRC the "Coaches" article featured Mk1 CKs by Hornby-Dublo, Tri-ang and Trix (the Kitmaster version was by then no longer available).  Their vote went to the Trix version as being the best proportioned example (despite its smaller scale), and on the strength of that I bought several Trix ones - well, it seemed like a good idea at the time, m'lud.  The Trix versions used the same constructional methods as the Triang-Hornby ones, so they were also ripe for cut-and-shut conversions - out of 8 Trix vehicles I got BSK, SK, FK, CK, BCK, RMB and BSO (there weren't enough bits left to make up the 8th vehicle...).  Here's a pic of the BSO -

Not a brilliant job as you can see some of the joins - not all of the vehicles were fully  completed and this one doesn't have any interior....

The later Hornby-Dublo Mk1s looked nice as the metal sides gave a nearly flush-windowed finish, but they were clearly under scale length.  AFAIK also in the 4mm picture there are the Replica BCK, RFO and (ex-Mainline?) RB, all 3 of which have passed through my hands at some stage: I've no experience of the Coopercraft kits, and the one MTK kit I had was sold on unbuilt.

Alasdair

The HD MK1 BG is the correct length (and for years was the only off the peg one that was), unlike the rest in that range. The only downsides to it are the lack of footboards and the wrong shape buffers.

David

• Thanks 1

20180107_221953.jpg.e176dfce73f82fe01bd30c29792f9cc0.jpg

Other than the picture above and below. I don't have easy 20180107_221943.jpg.7b2ce43ab4ee1e0038a396b0131cb238.jpgaccess to them at the moment I'll try later, but I've a dozen or so resided mk1s. All maroon.

Bachmann donors

RFO to RK

RFO to RKB

FK to FO

SO to BSO X2

SK to SK original sides damaged X2

Replica donors

RB resided

FO resided

BG resided X 6

I'll try to get photos

Edited by davidw
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, David_Belcher said:

The HD MK1 BG is the correct length (and for years was the only off the peg one that was), unlike the rest in that range. The only downsides to it are the lack of footboards and the wrong shape buffers.

David

This is mine, bought 2nd hand from the unfortunately defunct Modellers' Mecca in Wall Heath - the previous owner added the dirty roof and metal wheels; fuse wire window bars (fiddly!!!) by me. It might get oval buffers one of these days...

David

WP_20180406_12_17_41_Pro (2).jpg

• Like 3

17 hours ago, AJCT said:

- not in great condition, but it does have the printed card interior kit which Peco used to produce to match the Kitmaster kits.  I say "match" because I believe the spacing of the 1st class compartments is slightly wrong and Peco designed their interior kit to fit it !  See -

Alasdair

P.S. The Trix Commonwealth bogies are good (you can just about get away with them in 4mm; I've used them under Tri-ang Mk1s in the past) and absurdly free-running.

David

On 13/07/2020 at 14:12, Steven B said:

Built from 1951 and running right through to privatisation the British Rail Mk1 coach is an unsung work horse of Britains railways. Few vehicles on the railways have seen use as diverse as carrying Royalty to a crew of track-workers fresh from a days hard graft.

Here's a chance the celebrate the humble Mk1 in model form.

Please upload pictures of your Mk1 coaches in model form.  Nothing RTR straight out of the box please. Weathered, repainted, cut'n'shuts, kit builds all welcome in any scale. Please no prototype images unless being used as a comparison to your actual model.

Here are some pictures of a Hornby composite I have been messing around with. I have designed a series of etched parts for it including working corridor connections, door handles, fully sprung bogies and end steps as well as a host of other things.

Mark

D4BA3B36-AD1E-414E-8FCB-199CF694BEE2.jpeg

159FDB8B-CEDB-4EF1-B6A6-E7FBD9556C63.jpeg

65C7FE2D-DE2C-45B6-81AC-2D35CA608F4A.jpeg

77AED1A4-1007-41EF-8C5A-1C299C0ADBCB.jpeg

8FAAAC41-9A07-4D0C-8EA8-7EC74B21B720.jpeg

F9D17A4E-5A85-427A-9B25-6D0C9DC9B161.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4