The sound of Hornby Dublo A3 controller overload trip

PSi

This is rather an odd question, but still:

My relatives used to have a lot of Hornby Dublo stuff, and when visiting them in the late 60's  I was allowed to assemble a huge layout on the floor of their hall. Thy had two locos, the other was A4 Mallard, I cannot recall the model of the other loco. The locos suffered from rather rough handling and some of the valve gear was in a state that caused the locos to occasionally jam. The controller was a Hornby Dublo A3 controller. When the loco jammed, or I accelerated the train too fast, the overload tripped inside the A3 controller. The overload trip was reset when the speed controller was set back to zero. The sound of the tripping and releasing of the overload trip was interesting, but this being some 50 years ago...

I wonder if any RMweb readers has still got a Hornby Dublo A3 controller in working order and could record the sound of the overload tripping and releasing, or if someone knows of a YouTube video where the overload trip could still be heard.

pekka

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dublodad said:

Sounds about right, I and others in the HRCA still use A3's etc.

Maybe I should dig one out and record it

Terry

Please do!

pekka

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

The big red bulb coming on and the associated b-doing sound when  something goes wrong is sadly lacking from modern controllers. The electronics may make for better control but the lack of the alerts is retrograde.

The cut out will growl as an overload approaches.    The cut out is at about 1 amp, which is about all an overloaded H/D vertical motor loco can take before burning out.    I have three A3s, 

They are excellent cut outs, vastly better than polyswitches, its a shame you can't buy a similar stand alone cut out today, though it would probably be £50 where a polyswitch is about 2p.

Edited by DavidCBroad