Neodymium Magnets for Dave Kirby Coupling system

I've used a lot of these.

However it may be a little different to most.

I fix mine to the underside of the baseboard so they can be moved, removed or added to.

This is what works for me. 6mm thick ply baseboard, 3mm cork and Peco Code 75 00 track

Two of these placed end to end so they cover two droppers.

Neodymian N52 strength 25 x 10 x 3mm. Best deal I have found is Spider Magnets. This size is sometime not evident on their website so you have to search.

These work very well under the above circumstances. I started with round one under the sleepers but they used to attract the axles of small wagons, often causing a pair to re-couple.

These may work under 9mm baseboards but I don't have any 9mm timber to test it for you. Sorry.

One tip if you do go with this method. Only Bachmann hooks work as they are brass. File the dropper part back to bare metal and solder the staples on here. Staples need filing clean first as they had a glue on them. You may also need additional flux for the steel staples..

Good luck.

Dave

Edited by dasatcopthorne
spelling
  • Informative/Useful 1

I have am using 3mm dia x 2mm depth neodymium, disc magnets on my 009 layout, to operate Dapol easi shunt couplers.  I guess these couplers will need much less magnetic force than the Dave Kirby system, which I have never used.  However, I obtained my supply last year from Magnet Expert.com who had previously supplied me with larger magnets of the same type to secure the removable loads in the wagons for my 00 gauge layout.  Before purchasing the first supply (in 2013), I asked the company's advice and I am sure you find them equally helpful if you were to discuss your requirement with them.   This link https://www.magnetexpert.com/ should take you to their site where you will find pictures and specifications of all the types they stock.  I believe their pricing is good too.

My only connection is as a satisfied customer.

Harold.

Edited by HLT 0109
changed the link

• 3 years later...

It's a few years on for this thread but I have a question.

I have cut out a sleeper and replaced it with a 8x3x1mm magnet and added the staple to the coupling and it works (no surprise).
But the coupling has to be accurately stopped over magnet, to lengthen the activation area I added a second magnet (making sure polarity was the same as the first) but now the coupling only lifts as it reaches the second magnet but when reversing back is open over both magnets ?????

I also am using only one coupler as seen in this video 

Any tips how to extend the activation area?

Tom.

Whilst I understand the 'basics' of magnetism I don't know the ins and outs.

However, I have staples on all couplings and I use two magnets 25 x 10 x 3mm N52 strength fitted end to end.

I fit these on the underside of my baseboards. This way, they can be retro fitted and moved. Baseboards are 6mm + 3mm cor + track. These seem to work well without attracting steel axles.

Bought from Spider Magnets.

Dave.

20221013_135106.jpg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, dasatcopthorne said:

Tom.

Whilst I understand the 'basics' of magnetism I don't know the ins and outs.

However, I have staples on all couplings and I use two magnets 25 x 10 x 3mm N52 strength fitted end to end.

My base boards are also 6mm and I have ordered some 25 x 10 x 3mm N52 magnets. - Thanks for info

Edited by TomCrewe
error

20240121_101255.jpg?ex=65bf63a2&is=65ace

I have some 2mm thick ones setup on top of the board, in some 3D printed sliding guides with piano wire. 0.25mm plasticard will slip into the gap when the rodding is complete to form the scenic base for ballasting. 
Had to move the metal weights in farish wagons higher up but this seems to work for my purposes, as my board is 9mm thick.

Have to be careful not to let the magnets get too close when loose and slam into each other, as they might shatter (luckily I only needed 9 of the 10 magnets in the pack.)

• Like 2

Tried the two magnets end to end under base board but not perfect action.

I one direction with stapled at front, the first magnet pulls it down hook up but with not much forward motion returns and then passing second magnet does the same again but on return journey lifts for the whole length of both magnets!!

I did a little experiment bending the bottom of the vertical part of coupler attaching under the bend a 3mm disc magnet, rolling it over the track magnets (if you have poles right) pushes the small disc magnet up and hook with it of course but this action works over the whole length of the under track magnets and in both directions.

I have sent for a longer 50mm magnet for under track and some 2mm disc magnets to try that out.