Bachman 117 and Zimo Decoders

thestourbridgelion

Argh, I give up!! Did all that and chip is completely dead. This happened when I did a 8 reset the other day but then it came back to life. Completely dead on 21 pin socket on tester or on vehicles. I am wondering if there is some sort of hairline crack in the decoder. The CV read off even though it’s dead. I have put it under a powerful magnifier but can’t see anything suggesting a physical defect.

I don’t know if there is anyone who could test the decoder properly for me. Either that or it will have to be a new one. I think I will have one more go at a reset and setting it up again tomorrow.

There's something not right, that's for sure, but resetting does not kill decoders, neither does changing individual CVs.

As Mr Soundguy is the original supplier, you are entitled to apporoach him. There's a fixed repair charge if the decoder is damaged and out of warranty (2 years. Proof of purchase required). If the warranty is valid, there's no charge.

You are welcome to send it to me if you wish; I have a ZIMO decoder tester so I can let you know if the decoder is faulty or not. We can then take it from there.

PM me if you wish to go this route.

Best regards,

Paul

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let anyone following this thread know that Paul has resolved my issues. The decoder had a fault in it which meant it was cutting out and complicating the whole process. Paul arranged for Philip Sutton to replace decoder and Paul then loaded his more than excellent DMU project onto it. So now have fully working 117 with sound thanks to Paul. I must say this project really brings out the sophistication of the new 117. Just a pity it’s a 117 not a 116 or a 120!

So thanks again for everyones comments and particularly Paul’s involvement.

• Like 1