Have you got a hammer in your RTR weathering kit?

13 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Yup! My RTR High steel wagons from Bachmann are the 'perfect' specimens, while the Parkside kit builds are mangled and rusty, including a couple that look like a madman with a heavy sledge had given the bodywork his dedicated attention (likewise the 16 tonner kit builds, though not yet sufficient of these).

I’m assuming you’re talking 4mm, if so how do you do the dents and bulges in plastic sides?

• RMweb Premium

Interesting video and techinique.

One thing I'm curious about though, he talks about the gon-doh-la, is that the American pronunciation? I'd have said it the same as the boats in Venice.

6 hours ago, Talltim said:

I’m assuming you’re talking 4mm, if so how do you do the dents and bulges in plastic sides?

Heat!
Hot air gun my tool of choice. As you heat the plastic there's a sudden change in surface reflectivity, and that's the moment when it is still reasonably stable but can be deformed. Pressing the inside face of a side down on some grains of sand on a hard surface is an easy way  to make dents, or even just the work bench top if it is as hammered as mine....

Bulges and deformations have to be done with the body assembled. Hot air gun and use your fingers -quickly - to stretch into bulges; serious deformations to top sections and the like, an old soldering iron with a couple of flattened rods as tools. Failure rate quite high, but there is always a use for wagon chassis.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JDW said:

Interesting video and techinique.

One thing I'm curious about though, he talks about the gon-doh-la, is that the American pronunciation? I'd have said it the same as the boats in Venice.

I hadn’t noticed, but I’d say it the same as you. Stick to ‘gon’ for transatlantic intelligiblity