Lord of the Isles

roythebus

Has anyone got any hints or tips for super detailing the Triang Lord of the Isles? I have one, probably 1980s version with nickle plated wheels, no smoke, shiny dome and plastic gears that runs rather well.

I've already turned don the loco wheels to let it run on fine scale OO track but its hauling capacity is rather limited. In reverse it will push 6 Bachy Mk 1 coaches, forwards it will just about manage 2.

I need to replace the bogie wheels, I believe they should be 16mm; tender wheels have been replaced, and I've added lead weight in places under the chassis keeper plate and in the smokebox where the smoke unit would have been. It'll now manage 4 coaches forwards with a bit of prototypical slipping on starting.

• Like 2

Here is mine after I had 3-railed it and it is pulling 9 Exley metal coaches with ease.  I used the sintered iron wheels turned down and removed the chassis magnet used for magnadhesion and filled the space with lead. It even has extra drag due to the pick-ups but runs nicely. It does start with some stills but then various locations on the layout.

Garry

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, roythebus said:

Has anyone got any hints or tips for super detailing the Triang Lord of the Isles? I have one, probably 1980s version with nickle plated wheels, no smoke, shiny dome and plastic gears that runs rather well.

I've already turned don the loco wheels to let it run on fine scale OO track but its hauling capacity is rather limited. In reverse it will push 6 Bachy Mk 1 coaches, forwards it will just about manage 2.

I need to replace the bogie wheels, I believe they should be 16mm; tender wheels have been replaced, and I've added lead weight in places under the chassis keeper plate and in the smokebox where the smoke unit would have been. It'll now manage 4 coaches forwards with a bit of prototypical slipping on starting.

This should help you, I believe the author is @Mikkel.

http://www.gwr.org.uk/pro3031.html

• Like 1

Tri-ang's Single is rather nose heavy (it was intended to have 'Magnadesion' and run on steel  :(  track). This accounts for the superior haulage in reverse. My solution (yet to be implemented - another 'to do' job!) is to arrange for the tender to rest on the rear or the loco and balance her properly. This would involve an inside frame 'bogie' for the first two axles.

The whole thing sits high (a strange Tri-ang habit) and to correct this I've replaced the gears with Romford's and eased the driving and trailing axle bearings upwards to suit. This also corrects her jack rabbit gait!

The real thing has the front wheels running in the frames and not a bogie, but then it also was not expected to run around curves of 1⅓ chains radius.

• Like 5

Though the original members of the class did have rigid frames, they were later rebuilt with bogies, as per the model...

"On 16 September 1893 No. 3021 Wigmore Castle, hauling an express train, was derailed in Box Tunnel when the front axle broke. The cause of the accident was thought to be excessive weight being carried on the front axle, so it was decided to replace the leading pair of wheels in the 3001 class with a bogie."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GWR_3031_Class

• Agree 2

Thanks, I may well try with the front bogie mounted a bit more rigidly and maybe side sprung. I don't think adding weight at the back end will help much as it will add weight over the trailing axle.

• RMweb Gold
On 13/07/2020 at 22:24, roythebus said:

I recall somebody trying to run one on a club layout. Baseboards were slightly warped leading to a bit of a gradient. LoI could not even haul itself up that. Two of the old clerestories was about the limit elsewhere.

11 hours ago, Sarahagain said:

Though the original members of the class did have rigid frames, they were later rebuilt with bogies, as per the model...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GWR_3031_Class

You are right of course (brain storm caused by too much Sardinian sun?). However unlike Tri-ang's bogie, which just goes along for the ride, the real one actually supported the front of the locomotive and was unable to swing beyond the frames.

Somewhere I read an eye witness account of one hauling 23 vehicles. Modelwise, 3 Tri-ang clerestories is about the limit. This would transmit into a few more modern vehicles with pinpoint bearings (they roll about 3 times as easily as plain bearings (start on 1 in 30 (HD spec.) as opposed to 1 in 100*).

* Or so they should. I find some US stock struggles on 1 in 50 despite pin point bearings. Plastic on plastic is not a recipe for success....

• Like 1

My Exleys where there are 9 behind Lord of the Isles are fitted with Bachmann bogies but the bodies are metal. It pulled the 9 easily so I think a couple more would be no trouble for it. I put its capability down to the sintered wheels on nickel track and no magnet holding the wheels from revolving. 

Garry 

• Like 1

Surely the magnet would help stop the wheels from spinning? :)   I took the magnet out of mine and replaced it with a bit of lead.

I would seem to me to be beneficial to limit the side play of the bogie. I don't need mine to go round 1st radius curves, 2' min on my layout.

40 minutes ago, roythebus said:

Surely the magnet would help stop the wheels from spinning? :)   I took the magnet out of mine and replaced it with a bit of lead.

I would seem to me to be beneficial to limit the side play of the bogie. I don't need mine to go round 1st radius curves, 2' min on my layout.

To me the magnet held back the wheels, just look at my video and the wheels do not spin as such.

Garry

I can see your point.

As the driving wheels are so large in diameter, and the Magnahesion traction magnet is at the bottom of the chassis, it could indeed cause a magnetic drag, and not only on the driving wheels, as the non powered trailing wheels are also in the magnetic field.

On steel track, the loco would be pretty much glued to the track...but on nickel silver track...just a magnetic brake I suppose...

• Agree 1

I had forgotten that!

On nickel silver track, the trailing wheel* sticks to the magnet and is prevented from revolving. This is not helped when the loco tips forward. I can't speak for steel track, it might be OK.

* Only one, as the magnet pulls the wheelset off centre, so that it rubs against the frame.

I must play around with mine when I finally get back to England. I was supposed to go today, but circumstances* have prevented this. I shall just have to suffer in the sunshine!   :)

* and coronavirus! Seeing what's happened in Florida not taking it seriously and Britain seems to be doing the same.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 8 months later...

Thanks for the tips so far, I'd forgotten I'd started this thread! I've been doing a bit of modelling during lockdown but had to remove the continuous run from the layout as it blocked the railway shed door.

Maybe I'll have a look at lowering the loco. couple of mm as suggested. I must get round to ordering front bogie wheels!

• Like 2