A N-Scale variation on Arbroath

Reinder

Hello

I am a dutch guy with a affection for Scotland and the rest of the UK but moslty Scotland . I spend several nice holidays in the Highlands, just driving in the beatiful landscape. After we bought our present house i got decent space to restart my passion. After a few Dutch layout designs and even a german i finally settled on a Uk themed idea. So the search begun towards a decent trackplan but that was not that easy and i travelled from Kingswear to sheffield and even King's Cross was a idea. But in my search i spotted the Arbroath topic here on RMweb and i felt in love with the trackplan and the overal feeling of the Area.

So i started working on my version of the station, Adjusted it to my moderate size room of 3m by 5m, giving me a table of 480cm by 300cm. Build in a u shape design for easy acces. Never had i so much space in N-Scale but still i had to learn to let go my unhealty planes for a massive tripple decker railtable. Arbroath station fits right into my new vision for my layout. a modest station connected to a shadowstation. I believe you call that a fidle yard. So after a day of headaches and trying out plans i finally arrived at my present plan.

The hidden track may become vissible somewhere along the line but for now this is the concept. The blue circles are smal helixes for a single track branch line that i still have to design into the plan. But in my head its already I have Added a river into the station because i had a river in that spot already and it gives a nice touch to the layout. We have on the right the station itself with a fictional Branch line entering the Helix. Yes the helix is of the right size. it has being tested several times. i Am intrigued to ad the line towards the docks on the top of the station. It would give a nice additional flavor to the layout and a dedicated goods track.

The branch line will travel above the mainline, about 10/15cm to creaty a nice rocky/hilly countryside. It will also get 1 or 2 small stations for a nice DMU or 2.

I also had the idea of moving the locdepot towards the lower leg of the U shape but that will probably make the station to big and remove any options of a bit of countryside.

purple: factory

green: goodsdepot

brown: coalyard, small trader

red: Platforms

dark green: factory

pink: loading platform, cattle dock

The layout will be placed from 1965 till about 1975. I just love a hst 125 but also my midland pullman train. A computer will take care of most of the operational fucntions so i can enjoy the trains with a nice glass of wine. But still can control any train if i wanted to do some shunting.

arbroath.jpg.a1ee4a484cf03d698644beca3328c5f6.jpg

This is the current stage of work.

Parts of the tracks are already glued down will others still needs cutting and wires. Don't mind the mess, i always clean it to see it just as messy after 5 minutes again.

IMG_20200712_191450.jpg.32688471afbe1f6512f7de67d4ea70cc.jpgIMG_20200712_191709.jpg.3672c78ba34c8b743d53926d5569d931.jpg

Still allot of work to do but we will progess slowly

• Like 8

Well A little update today

I finished most of the station tracks on this side of the river. Still waiting for my order with the double crossover point.

Pretty happy with the rail length in the station. The two terminus tracks will give room for a nice DMU and the other 3 platforms can hold a train with 6 coaches without making it look like its crampt into the station. In a perfect layout i would have 8 coaches but this will do.

Next stop is laying the tracks at the back and finally put the helix in place before i can start do some Scenery work on the station.

IMG_20200717_114105.jpg.837d8683bda3372ecdda550d1e53f277.jpgIMG_20200717_113939.jpg.3b0203da241bc0839de42d4800bd600b.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 14/07/2020 at 10:50, Reinder said:

We have on the right the station itself with a fictional Branch line entering the Helix. Yes the helix is of the right size. it has being tested several times. i Am intrigued to ad the line towards the docks on the top of the station. It would give a nice additional flavor to the layout and a dedicated goods track.

arbroath.jpg.a1ee4a484cf03d698644beca3328c5f6.jpg

By a quirk of fate, that branchline entering the helix isn't fictional.  Although the junction was further North from Arbroath, there was a line which ran to Forfar from St Viggeans Junction.  It has long since been removed in the real world, but it would give some credibility to your layout if you imagined it was still extant.

Best

Scott.

• 3 months later...