Spanish outline loco kits

CPW

Hi 

I have recently discovered that K’s / Keysers used to do a whitemetal kit of and ex Norte 030 (0-6-0 in UK terminology). No doubt they will be are rare as rocking horse muck by now, but does anyone know if K’s did any other Spanish outline kits, or if anybody else did or does them? It helps when searching/keeping an eye out for such things if you know what you are looking for!

Since I am looking for a couple of medium size  tender locos ( 030, 130, 230) I suppose I shall have to try my hand a scratchbuilding on the basis of the general arrangement line drawings I have in book published by MAF and whatever photos I can find.

Cheers

Peter

• Like 1

Hola Peter!

I guess your best bet is to set up a search on ebay! First choice would be ebay.ES, the Spanish version, it will search all the European versions whereas the UK version is less successful at this, unfortunately.

DJH also made some Spanish outline steam loco kits, I believe a French concern took the H0 kits over and was re-releasing them one by one but most likely concentrated on French prototypes.

The ultimate Spanish kits were from ATF Models, mentioned here: 

I used to have their site bookmarked but it no longer works sadly so I don't know what happened to them. I do possess one of their kits for a lovely little 0-3-0T, this is lying in wait for my retirement!

https://www.ebay.es/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=ATF Models H0&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

As you can see, a completed 2-10-2 can fetch a large sum!

Cheers,

John.

Hi Peter

I think Ks also did a Renfe 4-8-4 Confederation?? And DJH Model Loco have done a Mikado 141F, the Mataro and possibly something else.....!

Mabar have offered a RTR 0-6-0, and Electrotren the 141F. There are older steamers from Ibertren. 

Have a rake around Forotrenes.com with google translate - if needed- and you'll find brass mallets, kitson meyers and all sorts.....some kits,  inc ATF mentioned above but they appear to be produced to order. Last was a 141T which I think only 20 were produced. 

Thank you gentlemen for your replies.

I will have to have a good a furtle round on Forotrenes - I have found discussion threads with pictures of various classes of steam loco grouped by wheel arrangement, but have not yet investigated the other threads and sections of the site.

It was a lot on ebay.es that made me aware of the K’s 030. Looked as though the builder had done a quality job, with a suitable price tag .

I fell in love with the Mabar 030 when I saw it in Bazar Matey in Madrid, and it got me started thinking about a Spanish layout. I also have the little Ibertren 030T. It was a bit pricey but it runs like a sewing machine. According to their website Mabar have a 230 in development but there is no indication of what stage it is at. Although I think mikado’s were on the roster at the time period I am thinking of (mid- late 40’s) , my personal preference is for some thing smaller to complete my roster as I already have a pair of Piko 040s.

cheers

Peter

The Piko 040 is what Spanish modellers call a Renfrito - it looks the part but is not based on a Spanish locomotive.

There is a fascinating thread on Forotrenes converting it to a Sharp Stewart locomotive. P6 of the thread also has a link to a downloadable .pdf of a book by what appears to be one of the 'greats' of Spanish steam modelling showing his (Ithink) mostly scratchbuilt locos. 'Almost all the Renfe in miniature' by Antoni Auge.

http://www.forotrenes.com/foro/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13993&hilit=piko+040

• Informative/Useful 1

Hi El loco loco.

Thanks for the link. Looks fascinating. At first glance I think I saw another conversion lower down the thread of a Fleischmann 130(?). I also had a very quick look at the Pdf. The contents page seems pretty comprehensive. I can see myself learning a lot of Castillian very quicky, that or Google translate will be working overtime.

I think I was half aware that the Piko 040 was not a exact model of a Spanish prototype, after all it does seem to be a tarted up version of their DB 55. I suspect the tarting up is little more than a paint job too. But, as you say, it looks the part  and at the price they were,  I might be prepared to do the surgery, following the guide on the link, if the spirit so moves me.

• 1 year later...

As correctly reported, Keyser produced several Spanish models in their Continental range.  The Norte 0-3-0 was re-issued in the 90's with re-worked etched chassis accompanied by Romford wheels and DS10 motor. This was successfully marketed in Spain by FKE.  The Renfe 4-8-4 Confederation was similarly updated and again was marketed by FKE.  Keyser also produced the Catalan Brill 3-car set and the old-timer Mataro engine and matching coaches - the latter being injection-moulded. There was also a Mikado 2-8-2 but this was never revived.

By way of illustration some photos of  the Norte, the huge Confederation, the Brill railcar, the Mataro and its coaches are attached 

003.JPG

Scan0002.jpg

SAM_4651.JPG

SAM_6535.JPG

SAM_6541.JPG

• RMweb Premium
On 14/07/2020 at 21:03, Allegheny1600 said:

DJH also made some Spanish outline steam loco kits, I believe a French concern took the H0 kits over and was re-releasing them one by one but most likely concentrated on French prototypes.

Cheers,

John.

AMF87 (www.amf87.fr)have indeed taken over some DJH kits but the only information I have ever seen was that it was the French kits - perhaps only the French kits.  I have a memory that someone else was taking over the German ones so it could be that DJH were selling the range in national bits rather than as a whole.

Edit to add:  Having checked amf87's site, the DJH range is being marketed separately as Model Loco France which strongly suggests a split in the range along national lines.  Model Loco was the final (?) trade name that DJH used for its range of non-UK kits.

Edited by Andy Hayter
  • Like 1