Modelling Parcels traffic

Gilbert

• RMweb Gold

I'm considering a small (ish) 00 shunting layout using mainly BR Blue NPCCS stock and vans in an urban setting possibly with some DMU action as well if possible. Has anyone else done this or got any suggestions?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've done something along those lines with Westonmouth Central, and can confirm shunting NPCCS of all shapes and sizes, but only one colour is most enjoyable.

The layout is crying out for a Bachmann 117 DMU (well, a 118 ideally) in boring blue, but 3 coaches and a Hymek/25/33 fit nicely (or with 3 x 57' vehicles a 47 etc fits too) so get used more often than originally planned. Add a Sleeper portion working which loads in the platform, and side loading Motorail flats there is a lot of operation available in a small space.

I really must get the layout out of storage and set up again!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Gilbert said:

I'm considering a small (ish) 00 shunting layout using mainly BR Blue NPCCS stock and vans in an urban setting possibly with some DMU action as well if possible. Has anyone else done this or got any suggestions?

I built Parsons Vale with a similar brief(except the DMU bit) as a carriage siding but with a fair smattering of NPCCS stock, scenic section is less than 5ft Chris. More shunting action than you would think as you can pull individual wagons on and off rakes.

1 hour ago, HillsideDepot said:

I've done something along those lines with Westonmouth Central, and can confirm shunting NPCCS of all shapes and sizes, but only one colour is most enjoyable.

The layout is crying out for a Bachmann 117 DMU (well, a 118 ideally) in boring blue, but 3 coaches and a Hymek/25/33 fit nicely (or with 3 x 57' vehicles a 47 etc fits too) so get used more often than originally planned. Add a Sleeper portion working which loads in the platform, and side loading Motorail flats there is a lot of operation available in a small space.

One of my favourite layouts, very well executed as well.

Edited by 37114
Clarity

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, 37114 said:

I built Parsons Vale with a similar brief(except the DMU bit) as a carriage siding but with a fair smattering of NPCCS stock, scenic section is less than 5ft Chris. More shunting action than you would think as you can pull individual wagons on and off rakes.

One of my favourite layouts, very well executed as well.

Thanks Rob

Certainly food for thought. I do fancy full-on urban though!

Chris

1 hour ago, HillsideDepot said:

Hi,

just read Westonmouth Central thread, my type of layout!  Makes the 5'6" viewing area of my proposed layout seem positively generous!

Roja

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 14/07/2020 at 17:06, Gilbert said:

Thanks Rob

Certainly food for thought. I do fancy full-on urban though!

Chris

and just to complete the circle I'm wondering if I can get away with a small urban cement terminal near the station throat...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 14/07/2020 at 22:38, rob D2 said:

There’s a fella on here doing very similar ,

he’s on about page 3 - BR blue - red bank vibes I think it’s called .9C85 is his user name 

Thanks - he's a got a bit more length available I think but I'm following with interest.

Chris

19 hours ago, Gilbert said:

Exeter Central allegedly Tim..

I agree that it is Exeter Central.

There used to be another small Cement Terminal behind the platforms at Lawrence Hill Station on the climb out of Bristol towards Filton Junction.

Often thought in the right space this would make a good model with the 4 tracks, the cement terminal, and the Midland Line out of Bristol on an over bridge.

Much too big for the concept being discussed here of course, but I think the cement terminal was only 2/3 sidings.

Cheers

Paul 

• Agree 1

On 17/07/2020 at 20:29, Gilbert said:

Just found this one...

scan0001a.jpg

and this..

scan0027a.jpg

Avon street (top photo) was very compact and the holding sidings were the other side of the level crossing.  Kevin (Rivercider) posted a track plan on page 1 of my Peafore yard thread.

• Like 3

As can be seen in the photo Exeter Central had a surprising mix of cement wagons - this finds just some of mine https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/?q=exeter central

Beeston was another small terminal. The small office is available as a kit (at least in 7mm) https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/?q=beeston

Ketton terminal at West Bromwich also small https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/kettoncement and the wagons have been copied by several manufacturers down the years. 

Paul

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1