Hornby R3865 Oliver Cromwell

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

I’m thinking of getting Hornby’s 2020 announcement of R3865 “Oliver Cromwell” when it finally arrives.  As it’s in it’s 1950’s condition, I’d like to change it slightly so it’s in it’s present condition and I was wondering what changes I need to make?

The obvious one is to change the crest to the later one and add overhead warning signs.  I believe that there are several versions of the OHLE warning signs but I was wondering what other changes I need to make?  Has it been fitted with air pumps for air brakes and if it has, are they behind the smoke deflectors like 70000 “Britannia”?

Any help would be great.

1 hour ago, jools1959 said:

I’m thinking of getting Hornby’s 2020 announcement of R3865 “Oliver Cromwell” when it finally arrives.  As it’s in it’s 1950’s condition, I’d like to change it slightly so it’s in it’s present condition and I was wondering what changes I need to make?

The obvious one is to change the crest to the later one and add overhead warning signs.  I believe that there are several versions of the OHLE warning signs but I was wondering what other changes I need to make?  Has it been fitted with air pumps for air brakes and if it has, are they behind the smoke deflectors like 70000 “Britannia”?

Any help would be great.

Most obvious difference is the smoke deflectors. Possibly things like AWS as well.

You would possibly be better getting the 15 Guinea Special set. If you don't want the coaches I'm pretty sure someone will buy them off you.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

70013 doesnt have air braking so your safe on that.

As above, the 15 guinea set, or R2565.

Mods include protection plate under the coupling at the front, box on the tender, AWS box, anti-climb ladder prevention on tender, and the yellow warning flashes.

I miss 70013... you always heard it long before you saw it, Ive some very strong performances with this loco, the Wandering 1500 tour was one of my best experiences, including standing starts in gas works tunnel, climb to Letchworth and its sprint towards Manningtree, but Ive oodles of other memories.

2008-2011/2013-2014. we got sick of the diet of 34067, 35028, 70000,70013, 4464 punctuated by 44932,45407, 45305, 34046... the bridge at the end of plat 2 at Victoria actually developed smoke scarring....  happy days now gone.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 14/07/2020 at 22:19, Steamport Southport said:

The Lefties love Cromwell.

He did kill the King after all.....

No we don't.  We love the Diggers, but Cromwell was an appalling tyrant and religious bigot even by the standards of the time.  He was ultimately opposed to any form of parliamentary democracy and closed parliament by force; his statue has no place in Westminster Square and I have always thought it about as inappropriate as you could get in that location.  He was so bad that when he died we actually asked to have the kings back, sealing the fate of the nation as a monarchy which by it's existence denies real democratic representation of, by, and for the people, a Bill of Rights, or Constitution.  And these were the Stuart kings, remember, not the best of an already inglorious bunch.  They rapidly led the nation into another constitutional crisis until Orange Billy took over and the idea of a 'constitutional monarch' was devised'.  

It it typically British that we managed to have constitutional monarchs and constitutional crises caused by them despite not having a constitution. what we actually have is is a sort of general agreement that the monarch does not attempt direct rule, and that parliament has the last say, but the democratic wishes of the people, in as much as they are represented by the House of Commons, still have to be ratified by the Lords, none of whom are elected, some of whom are still hereditary, and some of whom are Lords Spiritual, and thus not accountable or mandated by anyone.  

Cromwell was one of the nation's darkest hours, a murderous war criminal; I would only rate Edward Longshanks (repealed Magna Carta, introduced racial apartheid against the Welsh and Scots, expelled the Jews; to be fair to Cromwell he accepted them back) and Hugh Mortimer, voted the worst Englishman in history by a BBC poll in the 90s, as worse specimens of humanity from British history, which is not lacking in undesirable characters.  

These are my views and opinions, others are available.  Cromwell is still divisive, except in Ireland where everybody hates him; Billy the Orange is the divisive character over there.

I have no problems with the locomotive, though.  He has as much right to be on a Britannia smoke deflector as John of Gaunt, attempted usurper of thrones and  perpetrator of human rights abuses against the Welsh.  

Edited by The Johnster
  • Agree 1