Idea for your next project

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

As steel carrying wagons seem to be your bag at the moment, can I make a suggestion of doing a run of SNCF registered IHA bogie covered steel coil wagons?  I think they would make a great addition to go with your BBA wagons and others.  I hope you don’t mind me making the suggestion.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

Hi Richscylla

i don’t do Facebook so a friend tipped me off regarding Waterside Wagons but there’s been no developments regarding the kits(?) and they’ve announced recently they propose another two wagons too. 

Jools1959 if I were Cavalex i’d take the bogie and chassis tooling from the BBA and do the BIA/BWA/BXA EWS steel hoods. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, D9502 said:

Jools1959 if I were Cavalex i’d take the bogie and chassis tooling from the BBA and do the BIA/BWA/BXA EWS steel hoods. 

I’m only interested in IHA’s so I can backdate the Boston steel train before DB Cargo got the contract.  It would be great to see 6-8 or more IHA’s behind a pair of Class 50’s or Colas Class 56’s.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, D9502 said:

Hi Richscylla

i don’t do Facebook so a friend tipped me off regarding Waterside Wagons but there’s been no developments regarding the kits(?) and they’ve announced recently they propose another two wagons too. 

I have messaged Waterside again today to ask if there has been any update. I'll report back here when I find out. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
17 minutes ago, richscylla said:

The Waterside kits didn't look great. No transfers available, the wrong bogies were suggested

I don’t know too much about Tim’s work as I’m not associated with WW, though I am a good friend of his. All I can say is that Tim as a keen modeller has attempted to recreate the wagon and chosen the resin/silicone moulding route as production. From what I’m aware of, he runs WW in his spare time and had stated from the outset that he would be providing the wagon as a raw kit, no different to Cambrian in that respect. 

I'm not having a go at Tim or WW. I'm sure what he's doing is better than what I could do. But this kit isn't for me. Like I said, the bogies suggested weren't correct and neither are the wheels. 

Nothing like Cambrian - they make great kits that many modellers enjoy. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Indeed, Cambrian make their own bogies however Tim has outsourced the pattern making so is only involved in the production. I don’t know if he made the master as I’m not involved. Without WW having their own bogies to offer, they can only suggest the closest alternative, right or wrong. Tim has sold out on his first batch so I can’t say whether they’re good or not, as I don’t model the areas his products are used in. 

I believe Cav has 3D printed a Perch in N, though his thread hasn’t been updated since 2016. I’ve built a Porpoise in OO and am currently in the process of finishing the stabling wagons and scratchbuilding the manipulator gantry. 
Dapol did announce welded rail wagons of a sort before the 2010 management change, along with MLA wagons but these never materialised. I have had the MLA on AutoCAD for a while, waiting for covid to pass so I can get some dimensions. 

On 15/07/2020 at 01:21, jools1959 said:

As steel carrying wagons seem to be your bag at the moment, can I make a suggestion of doing a run of SNCF registered IHA bogie covered steel coil wagons?  I think they would make a great addition to go with your BBA wagons and others.  I hope you don’t mind me making the suggestion.

Good morning Jools1959, apologies for the very late reply. We will certainly add the IHA to our list of potential future projects so thank you for your suggestion.

We always appreciate suggestions and ideas.

On 16/07/2020 at 21:38, D9502 said:

Hi Richscylla

D9502, the BWA and BXA will follow as they are part of the BBA family. Thanks for mentioning these wagons.

On 10/02/2021 at 21:42, 43078shildoncountydurham said:

What about the long welded rail wagons “perch” 

Regards

Craig

Craig, thanks for your suggestion. The LWRT is on our radar following the extensive research that Cav carried out previously for his N gauge 3D printed Perch.

Thanks again to everyone for their input.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Grimleygrid said:

The LWRT is on our radar following the extensive research that Cav carried out previously for his N gauge 3D printed Perch.

Interesting. I’m nearly there with my 2nd Gen LWRT in OO and I spent a long time looking for suitable rail loads. Recently found Protoloads in the USA do ribbon rail, I have some 255ft of it being imported, made from extruded styrene and approx Code 80 in size. It’s expensive stuff having spent £210 inc shipping and I’ve found no other place that manufactures it.

Also, the Perch as a base opens a lot of doors given the Snow and Ice treatment trains plus many other wagons use ex-BR Perch’s as a base. Whether it be old 1st Gen LWRT’s, SITT’s or other on track plant and wagons. 

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Talking of steel wagons , what about these ..

if you wanna do any modern flows these seem essential 

D69CCFB2-C965-4EC2-9983-3081BB70F270.png

They are IHA’s and I think they are certainly a missing link for the modern freight flow.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

How about the Alcan alumina PCAs. Different  to all othe PCA types and never been done by any-one else. A lot of people model the WHL and they have lasted a long time on there. Just a thought, sorry for ant inconvenience caused.

Cheers

George

Edited by George Woodcock
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, George Woodcock said:

Hello

How about the Alcan alumina PCAs. Different  to all othe PCA types and never been done by any-one else. A lot of people model the WHL and they have lasted a long time on there. Just a thought, sorry for ant inconvenience caused.

Cheers

George

Do you mean the Metalair built new for Scottish traffic or the cement conversions for Lynemouth?

• Like 1

Hello

Either would do for me Mark but the Metalair ones would be my first choice.

Cheers

George

As most of the steel wagons are now available in 00 gauge , the BVA cassette wagons that work from the SMACC plant at Tinsley would be a good choice  ,these wagons when built in around 1999 / 2000 carried stainless slab from Tinsley to Immingham and the cassettes were exchanged for one's bringing semi finished coil back to Tinsley , there is also a flow of slab to Seaforth  although I don't know if coil was ever returned from there . The traffic is now only slab and bloom to Immingham and Seaforth , with some trains having two  20ft containers on the cassette to carry imported chrome ore back  to the SMACC plant . These wagons ran with class 60 and 66 and were usually in rakes comprising of most of the fleet with spares left at Tinsley for loading , 

Link to the wagons 

https://andrewwills.smugmug.com/Wagons/B-Coded/

Edited by bazjones1711
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

Count me in for the Kockum Industrie BVA steel cassette wagons...

As well as carrying bloom and billet they also carried the 'Titan' containers too. A 4mm model would need to be die cast, ideally with a removable cassette. Mine are too light and don't track well around corners. 

20210512_101044.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Here are a couple future project suggestions. VIX international ferry wagon, plenty of livery variations, good era spread and as modellers we would need at least two(Barrier wagon use).  Or the original Flatrol MJ nuclear flask wagons. If you choose to do both bogie/brake variants it covers late steam era with the 6 axle vac brake variant through to to the early 80's in their final airbrake guise with the later 2 axle bogies. Here's hoping!

• Like 1