Polmadie Pronunciation

• RMweb Premium

I've never known where the emphasis should go. Is it polMADDY or pol-muh-DEE?

I guess it might also be polMAIDY, but I simply can't imagine that spoken in a Glaswegian accent.

Edited by Andy Kirkham

I always feel the Scots emphasise the second syllable so logically pol -Ma -Dee.   as in Glas -Gie but I've heard Mallaig called Mallig and Mull-Gai. Your all just rubbing salt in the wound of my not being able to go to Scotland this June after 33 years of summer solstice period holidays in the He - Lunds.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, DavidCBroad said:

I always feel the Scots emphasise the second syllable so logically pol -Ma -Dee.   as in Glas -Gie but I've heard Mallaig called Mallig and Mull-Gai. Your all just rubbing salt in the wound of my not being able to go to Scotland this June after 33 years of summer solstice period holidays in the He - Lunds.

I thought Milngavie was Mull-Gai?:)

• Like 1
  • Agree 13

13 minutes ago, DavidCBroad said:

Mal-lig is the correct pronunciation, Mal-laig is generally only used by those from points south.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Poll Mac Dè was always pronounced Pol-ma-de at the SRPS Bo'ness.

2 hours ago, Bon Accord said:

Mal-lig is the correct pronunciation, Mal-laig is generally only used by those from points south.

Actually  sandy Bay, or Mel Vik in Old Norse, in Gaidhlig is pronounced more like Mal lik as ending "G"s often are in Gaidhlig

However AI is much more random and seems to change from word to word, I can't get my brain around whether it's An A, Ai , or  I in the Gaelic. 

Edited by TheQ

• RMweb Premium

Ga lik is the closest I can type, as the Gaels would say it.    that's ga not garh .

Of course the Gaels are not Scots...

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

Actually  sandy Bay, or Mel Vik in Old Norse

As also in Melvich in Sutherland (it's on the NC500 if you're in to that sort of thing).

I would tentatively suggest that Melvich has rather more of a sandy bay then Mallaig does (these days - maybe it was more attractive before the railway turned it in to a commercial harbour).

Actually, the Wiki article for both places has "mel vik" as "sand dune bay".  There are certainly dunes at Melvich - I've walked through them!

Melvich_Bay.jpg

Edited by ejstubbs

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, ejstubbs said:

As also in Melvich in Sutherland (it's on the NC500 if you're in to that sort of thing).

I would tentatively suggest that Melvich has rather more of a sandy bay then Mallaig does (these days - maybe it was more attractive before the railway turned it in to a commercial harbour).

Sailed past it, didn't stop, it was a bit windy, we put into Scrabster for sail repairs...

Edited by TheQ

Polmadie - as Legend says is pronounced "Pol -Ma -Dee"  - as spoken by the locals.   But it needs to be said in the right rhythym - as in the rhythym "Dum dee Dum".     No emphasis on any syllable.  Just "Pol- Ma- Dee".                                                 

Another local pronunciation by the locals is the first station over the border going south on the West Coast Main Line.  It is pronounced "Kir - Lyle"  with the emphasis on the second syllable. (AM)

• Agree 3

It's pronounced Sixty Six A....   :prankster:

I would just go with the way it's spelt and you would get away with it - Pol Mad E or Pol Ma Dee (saying them quick sounds similar). It seems some Scots agree. So that would be good enough for me. 

It can sometimes be a bit patronising to the locals when "foreigners" start using local pronunciations and accents though. You don't go to Newcastle and start saying "I'm gannin' doon t' Toon", do you? You say I'm going to town.

Or 27A if you have an LMS leaning. but that's more associated with Bank Hall now.

Jason

7 hours ago, DavidCBroad said:

I always feel the Scots emphasise the second syllable so logically pol -Ma -Dee.   as in Glas -Gie but I've heard Mallaig called Mallig and Mull-Gai.

As someone born in Glasgow and brought up on Clydeside, my recollection is that the city was never called "Glas-Gie" in local dialect,  but "Glesga" with equal weight on both syllables.   Edinburgh was called "Embra". :-)

https://sco.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glesga

Jim

Edited by flubrush
  • Like 2
  • Agree 5

5 hours ago, melmerby said:

I thought Milngavie was Mull-Gai?:)

Not unless you are one of those posh folk who pronounce it Mill-Guy and think sex is what you take the rubbish out to the midding.

You could always tell folk from the village that I used to stay in, they pronounced it Eagles-ham, the outsiders called it Eagle-sham.

Jim

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1