Polmadie Pronunciation

I agree with the Pol-ma-DEE pronunciation, recalling the time I worked at Shields Electric Traction Depot, when Polmadie was part of the same depot management empire.

One of the biggest crimes of pronunciation I have heard was on Wem station, Shropshire, where the "speak and spell" automated train announcement referred to Llanelli as "Lanner-Lye". Apparently, the same system has referred to Pont-y-Pant on the Blaenau Festiniog branch (apols if spelling incorrect)  - and I believe the correct way is "Pont-uh-Pant" - as "Pont-Wye-Pant". Progress, eh...?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 15/07/2020 at 23:19, westie7 said:

Pol mah Dee.

And don't get me startd on some of the announcements at Glasgow Queen St.

Aaargh

I remember being a bit surprised at the rendering of Gilshochill. It was more like Gilshy-hill

1 hour ago, EddieK said:

I agree with the Pol-ma-DEE pronunciation, recalling the time I worked at Shields Electric Traction Depot, when Polmadie was part of the same depot management empire.

One of the biggest crimes of pronunciation I have heard was on Wem station, Shropshire, where the "speak and spell" automated train announcement referred to Llanelli as "Lanner-Lye". Apparently, the same system has referred to Pont-y-Pant on the Blaenau Festiniog branch (apols if spelling incorrect)  - and I believe the correct way is "Pont-uh-Pant" - as "Pont-Wye-Pant". Progress, eh...?

Pont E Pant.

Like saying the E in Richard E. Grant.

Or Ponty to the locals.

On 15/07/2020 at 23:15, Luke Piewalker said:

Ecclefechan isn't really that hard... I've never understood why radio traffic reporters have such trouble with it.

It’s Fechan painful to listen to at times...

• Funny 3

3 hours ago, Mad McCann said:

And while we’re on such matters, peeps;  ‘Caley’ is pronounced ‘Kah-ly’.

Not, under any circumstances is it pronounced like a bad Marillion song! ;)

Why would anyone pronounce Caley as Kayleigh?  It starts with a C after all..?  Obviously cèilidh up that rule... ;)

2 hours ago, Bernard Lamb said:

So to bring things up to date. How to do you pronounce Covid?

It seems to vary between England and Scotland.

Michael Gove for example compared to most other ministers.

Bernard

Given it's an acronym, pretty much anyway you like, but Co Vid is really the only way...

1 hour ago, frobisher said:

Given it's an acronym, pretty much anyway you like, but Co Vid is really the only way...

I would expect a person who lives on a peedy island to say that those on the mainland have got it wrong.:D

Let us try another name with a north/south divide.

Haymarket. One word or two?

Bernard 

14 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Pont E Pant.

Like saying the E in Richard E. Grant.

Or Ponty to the locals.

Pont Y Pant (Pont meaning bridge, Y meaning In The, Of The and At The) is pronounced Pont A Pant. The A as in Apple

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, mallaig1983 said:

Pont Y Pant (Pont meaning bridge, Y meaning In The, Of The and At The) is pronounced Pont A Pant. The A as in Apple

Pont Y Pant.  = Pont  Ur Pant.     Similar example Pontypridd  = Pont ur preeth (as in the )

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, mallaig1983 said:

Not when I've been there they didn't. I only lived down the road.

Always an E sound.

Where does Fireman Sam live....

And yes that was Welsh and even had a Welsh language version called Sam Tan.

Jason

59 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Not when I've been there they didn't. I only lived down the road.

Always an E sound.

Where does Fireman Sam live....

And yes that was Welsh and even had a Welsh language version called Sam Tan.

Jason

In that case I stand corrected. Sounds like an anglised version and very unusual for the area. I too live in the area and was basing my explanation on local pronunciation that I've heard. My father is a Welsh speaker and a railway enthusiast and has always pronounced it Pont A Pant. I'd be curious to know how you've heard Betws Y Coed pronounced? That always as Betws A Coed (not Betsy Coed visitors all seem to pronounce it). A also for Tan y Bwlch on the Festiniog Railway and Plas y Nant on the Welsh Highland. Pen y mount on the Welsh Highland Heritage Railway (although that name is a granding up of Penmount Farm next to the station. Pen mount being the place you would have remounted your horse having led it across the estuary before the cob was built. 

• Like 1

Just now, mallaig1983 said:

In that case I stand corrected. Sounds like an anglised version and very unusual for the area. I too live in the area and was basing my explanation on local pronunciation that I've heard. My father is a Welsh speaker and a railway enthusiast and has always pronounced it Pont A Pant. I'd be curious to know how you've heard Betws Y Coed pronounced? That always as Betws A Coed (not Betsy Coed visitors all seem to pronounce it). A also for Tan y Bwlch on the Festiniog Railway and Plas y Nant on the Welsh Highland. Pen y mount on the Welsh Highland Heritage Railway (although that name is a granding up of Penmount Farm next to the station. Pen mount being the place you would have remounted your horse having led it across the estuary before the cob was built. 

Sorry, I got side tracked a bit there and forgot to respond to your other point about Freman Sam. I'm sorry but although aware of the chap I don't know where he lives lol. I imagine somewhere pronounced as E though. I believe the series is based in South Wales where they pronounce things differently. The place names there are much more anglised so that I imagine is the explanation. Also the Welsh language is quite different down south to that spoken in the north west. Sorry to bang on but an interesting topic.

Just popped back after checking something out and apologies as I don't want to sound like the pub bore but a quick watch of Video 125s 'Ffestiniog & Conwy' dvd narrated by Arfon Haines Davies, a Welsh speaker from Caernarfon and he's just pronounced it Pont A Pant which I'll put my neck on the line and say is the correct pronunciation. Sorry if I've gone on about it.

Andy 

I'm still reeling from that guy Nighy on Channel Five suggesting that you could change trains for Snowdon Summit at Rid Doo ....... AAAAAAGH !

But - back to topic ( well, nowhere near Polmadie ) .... concerning the Welsh word 'y' I just found this on the InterWeb The small words, y, yr, yn, dy and fy are pronounced uh, urr, un, duh and vuh. Just learn them. !

Meanwhile, has anyone mentioned Leeds station announcements for trans Pennine services calling at - among other places - Slay Thwaite ? 

• Like 2

Only Bill Nighy could get away with that. Yes you would of thought someone would of been on hand to explain it to him. Also that the nearest Snowdon Mountain Rly station to Rhyd Ddu was a 300 ft climb away. Was a lovely episode tho.

Slay Twaite is funny too. 

Back to the topic tho Polmadie. I'm glad this has been confirmed as it's where the coaches on my layout are based. The fiddle yard really does encompass quite as lot doesn't it. As a youngster I always Pronounced it Pol maydie, more recently Pol mad ie so it's nice to have that confirmed. Also Mallaig would be pronounced Mall AIG, later MALL aig. Having been a regular visitor over the last decade I know pronounce it Mallig but I've heard Mallick too.

3 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Meanwhile, has anyone mentioned Leeds station announcements for trans Pennine services calling at - among other places - Slay Thwaite ? 

When they redid Leeds the best part of 20 years ago there was some right howlers - 'Frizzzinghall' got changed fairly quickly. The person who did it recorded all the local stations, even those with no through service. As they have added Slow'it on to a through stopper/semifast we now get this pearl. If they reopen the Colne to Skipton line it could be fun as some communities on the Yorkshire side occasionally shorten it to 'Cone'.

20 hours ago, frobisher said:

Why would anyone pronounce Caley as Kayleigh?  It starts with a C after all..?  Obviously cèilidh up that rule... ;)

Trust me. The producer of an excellent series of archive videos is a serial offender...:lol:

Edited by Mad McCann

Some years ago, we almost considered purchasing the station house at Pont Y Pant. Would have had to have learned how to pronounce it properly, had that happened. 

Also, until we were gazumped, we had an offer in on the station house at Penrhyndeudraeth. Even though I still have no idea how to pronounce the name of the village. Perhaps not living there was for the best, as a few years afterwards the extreme weather saw the station platform and house surrounded by the sea....

Regarding pronunciation of place names, if you don't live near somewhere and have never heard its name spoken, can you not be forgiven for getting it wrong ? My colleagues at work occasionally took the mickey out of people mis-saying some of those mentioned above, eg Milngavie and Wemyss Bay, so I tested them with a couple from my neck of the woods, such as Cherwell and Thame. And guess what ? They got them wrong !

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I first, knowingly, came across the wonders of English ( etc.) place names when on a family holiday in north Devon when we passed a turning signposted to Woolfardsiworthy - but the next turning was for Woolsery and the third for Woolfardsiworthy again.

In this neck of the woods, we have the delights of Meopham, Wrotham, Trottiscliffe - shame THAT never had a station - Wateringbury and Teston ( Crossing ) to catch out the unwary ....... I once heard an announcement at Waterloo East for a train calling at Higgam ( between Gravesend and Strood ) !