LNWR Dock Tank - Upgrading the M&L kit in EM gauge

I had forgotten there was a solid side to the chassis etch for the rear pony - a slot .
I did away with that part of the chassis and made a pony wheel arrangement.
In the first photo The red arrow is pointing to a piece of wire that basically keeps the pony truck in line with the driving wheels, and minimal vertical movement, just to the right there's a tube which it slides in (very minimal), 
I can't understand what the piece of brass is the green arrows pointing at, placed there long, long ago.  BUT, it may be something to be seen on the prototype when you look at the next photo.
I think the area behind the grate area is a 'see through' on the real thing. 
Perhaps I should have done a 180 deg, turnaround on this photo ... :wacko:
Not sure why the buffers are that type, I think this was made for a LMS themed layout, but the person decided not to have the loco, and thus converted back to LNWR.

Dock Tank #1.jpg

Dock Tank #2.jpg

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Compensation has been the next challenge. Clearance for the twin beams was really tight between the gearbox and the horn blocks, so these had to come out and be filed down, the guides too. I don't think this would be a problem with one of the slimmer High level gearboxes, but I had committed to making do with what I had. Just enough clearance in the end.

WP_20200802_11_36_54_Pro.jpg.883668ad2c7bab40d3155e00fd99d6e9.jpg

With the chassis sitting level, the body and rolling chassis were propelled over the worst baseboard joint on my layout and hey presto, all the wheels stayed in contact with the rail. The rules of compensation tell us that the weight is now supported between the fixing point of the trailing axle beam and the two points where the front beam pivots meet the chassis frames, slightly forward of midway between the two driving axles.

WP_20200802_11_32_03_Pro.jpg.e4998f0ac42cf42c4992719e84f04432.jpg 

The trailing wheels are the originals which were spoked. You will see my unsuccessful attempt to turn them into disc wheels with Araldite, but the two other loco's posted on this thread by Beechnut and Penlan show this up for the truly shoddy work it is and new wheels will be ordered from Gibsons. I made two lengths of brass tube to go on the trailing axle either side of the centre bearing, but I don't think they are really necessary - the frames space the wheels pretty well anyway.

Trial fit of the gearbox shows everything just fits. The old motor filled the cab but the gearbox has now been turned round and if I cut off the motor's top shaft and forgo the flywheel it should fit more or less vertically in the firebox, allowing a clearer cab than before.

WP_20200802_11_38_55_Pro.jpg.09dfa1a18c6224fca38fd78df15d7704.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

It lives !

The gearbox (possibly Branchlines but I can't remember) and 40:1 gears had been de-greased with car brake cleaner, attached to the new motor, and run-in extensively. Re-lubrication was with some light Lithium grease used for cycle bearings. All has now been re-united with the chassis and the wheels re-attached. I don't normally pull Gibson wheels on and off like this but as they were old and in 'used' condition, I was less bothered, securing  them at the end with Loctite 603. The only one that was tricky was the 'adjusting wheel' for the quartering which was pushed half on, the quartering set, and Loctite added to the axle hole before the wheel was pushed home. The rods, re-bushed with Gibson steel crankpin bushes, were eased slightly, and it ran well on the rolling road. Pickups next, and that motor shaft will have to go.

WP_20200816_13_52_49_Pro.jpg.084da90f625c2744b1ecb41c3a82111a.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 months later...

I haven't had much time for modelling recently, but I finally got the pick ups on, and tested it extensively, eventually managing to clear some persistent twitching that was caused by the coupling rod bosses touching the brake rodding and one of the motor contacts touching the inside of the firebox. When the trailing wheels touched the frames on a curve this caused a partial short.

WP_20201018_11_06_21_Pro.jpg.2f4a5c8e041c558a7edae199344bf61e.jpg

The running is finally what I always wanted for this loco., nice and controllable at low speed. As to the method of compensation, it certainly helps with pick up but I would say it is less powerful than before because more weight is on the trailing axle, at the expense of the drivers. This is not a problem for me but worth mentioning.

Those un-prototypical rear frames show us why the real thing had a Bissel truck, because the trailing wheels do scrape the frames on a tight curve, and most of mine don't go below 3' radius. Much less and it would struggle I think. Only one member of crew at the moment - I'm still hoping the original driver will turn up.

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 11 months later...

Hi All,

I’v just picked up one of these quirky little beasts. Lots of good information on how to compensate. The one I picked up has a compensated front axle and what looks like swinging truck at the rear. 

I don’t know much about them - any good references or locations of where they worked? 

21 hours ago, Down_Under said:

Hi All,

I’v just picked up one of these quirky little beasts. Lots of good information on how to compensate. The one I picked up has a compensated front axle and what looks like swinging truck at the rear. 

I don’t know much about them - any good references or locations of where they worked? 

I'm afraid I don't know very much at all, except that in the year I model (1947) there were only 2 left, 7862 and 7865, and they were both allocated to Crewe, presumably as works shunters. Since I have a semi-imaginary dock system I have re-allocated this one to work there. 

This one was the last to go, according to Wikipedia, in 1956.

• Like 1

On 29/09/2021 at 10:47, PenrithBeacon said:

Is this the kit which is now retailed by AGW?

Yes -  Alan Gibson took over the M&L kits. Some at least were revamped but I don't know if this was. I don't believe any of the Gibson kits are routinely available any more, but they will do batches from time to time if there is demand.

• Thanks 1

Hi Barclay, 

An alternative arrangement here > this time in P4. The rear carrying axle has been cut out (can confirm that AG didn't update the chassis etch) and a scratch built rear Bissel truck installed. This is lightly sprung, as without the trailing axle it is tail heavy. The front axle is sprung, the powered axle is ridged. The back of the firebox has also been scratch built. 

This is how I have purchased the engine. The only improvements are going to be a high level gearbox (the romford 50:1 are noisy and surge - indicting a tight spot) and lightly spring the actual trailing axle as it is in hornblocks. 

James 

IMG_6597.jpg

IMG_6601.jpg

IMG_6600.jpg

IMG_6599.jpg

19 hours ago, Down_Under said:

Hi Barclay, 

An alternative arrangement here > this time in P4. The rear carrying axle has been cut out (can confirm that AG didn't update the chassis etch) and a scratch built rear Bissel truck installed. This is lightly sprung, as without the trailing axle it is tail heavy. The front axle is sprung, the powered axle is ridged. The back of the firebox has also been scratch built. 

This is how I have purchased the engine. The only improvements are going to be a high level gearbox (the romford 50:1 are noisy and surge - indicting a tight spot) and lightly spring the actual trailing axle as it is in hornblocks. 

James 

IMG_6597.jpg

IMG_6601.jpg

IMG_6600.jpg

IMG_6599.jpg

That's a very tidy piece of work - I wish I could make mine look like that. Interested to see progress.